Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Can you recommend a gourmet restaurant in Hong Kong?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2004, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We would to have dinner at a gourmet restaurant in Hong Kong to celebrate our last night in China. Any recommendations?
Old May 20th, 2004, 06:13 PM

There are several in Hong Kong. What type of food do you like - French, Chinese, Japanese, fusion?

Old May 20th, 2004, 06:34 PM

I have a couple of suggestions from my trip last month:

For lovely Chinese food, try Spring Moon in the Pen (Kowloon side). Both the food and the service are really special.

For wonderful French Food, I'd suggest Margaux, located in the Shangra La in the Kowloon side.

If you do a search on this board, you'll find the recommendations that were made to me before my trip. And there were many wonderful suggestions.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 04:57 PM

The main restaurant at the Intercontinental (can't remember the name) and Gaddi's at the Pen were good experiences but curiously even though both Hotels ahve great harbour views, those restaurants don't. Margaux at the Shangri La gets good reports and I suspect (but don't know) that it might have a view as well?Enjoy wherever you end up!
Old May 23rd, 2004, 05:11 PM

Peter, you are correct that Margaux has a wonderful view.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 10:05 PM

Following recommendations from this site, on a recent trip (February) to Hong Kong we ate in the Chinese Restaurant - downstairs of the Intercontinental which had great harbour views and wonderful food, can recommend, sorry can't recall name. Another recommendation was for TOTT's at the Excelsior Hotel Causeway Bay HKI,a fantastic dining experience we liked it so much we went back, also has good views. Not chinese food but a fusion style but excellent 'gourmet' dining.Their signature dishes were superb.
Old May 24th, 2004, 06:03 AM

I am not sure what you would consider as a gourmet restaurant, as there aren't any Michelin-rated restaurants in town. Also, some of the best restaurants are in hotels, which is unusual if you are used to Europe and the US, where that would not be the case, so don't let this put you off when choosing a restaurant.

Spring Moon and Gaddis, both mentioned above, are very good, as is ToTTs, although I am not sure I would rate any of them as "gourmet". Here would be some other recommendations for an upscale dinner, some with views and great food, some with just great food. All have menus in English.

1. Felix
The Peninsula Hotel
Salisbury Road, Kowloon
(852) 2366-6251

Continental/fusion, fantastic views, Stark design.

2. Vong
Mandarin Hotel
5 Connaught Road, Central
2825-4028

Eclectic fusion, great views.

3. M at the Fringe
First floor, South Block, 2 Lower Albert Road, Central
Tel: 2877 4000. Fax: 2877 0135
E-mail: [email protected]

Fusion Asian/Continental with a twist of nouvelle. Artsy ambience. No views. In an interesting area of Central. Good wine list.

4. Petrus
Island Shangri-La Hotel
Supreme Court Road, Central
Tel: 2820 8590

On the top floor of the Island Shangri-La. Great food and views. Very good wine list.

I can recommend others if you can give more of an idea of what type of food, price range, etc you are looking for. I am a big fan of JW California's in the JW Marriott and the Lobster Bar in the Island Shangri-La, as they always have an unusual menu and interesting presentation, but again, I hesitate to call it gourmet. Also, as it is your last night, I would opt for a view over a gourmet dining experience (assuming such a thing could be defined), and could add others to the list if you want a view.

Twotravel may be referring to Yu, which is an excellent Chinese seafood restaurant in the Intercontinental:

18 Salisbury Road
Kowloon
Ph: (852) 2721-1211