Car Rental or Hire Driver/Phuket

Old Dec 30th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Rental or Hire Driver/Phuket

Am trying to decide about either hiring a driver for two or three days (for Grocery shopping and a tour around the Island, and eating dinner off site) or if it's better and cheaper to rent a car for 3 days.
AVIS is running about $46 a day and I'm wondering if anyone knows what a driver (not from the Marriott where we are staying) might charge for a day as a comparison?
Does anyone have any off hotel site drivers to recommend for Phuket close by the Marriot? and what the daily or evening charge might be. Have checked through the archives but no info on hiring drivers for this area. (we had a great one last year but I can't find his card or remember what he charged!)
We leave for Thailand on Friday 5th Jan Wheeeee just a few days from now. Very excited to be returning.
Sue
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 02:33 PM

We leave in March and are wondering the same, and also staying at the Marriott.

We have booked a day with Mr. Sam, well recommended on another board, and he quotes about 2,000 baht for the day, which I think is 6-8 hours max. Figuring that is around $60 US, a car is certainly cheaper. Yet, I think for at least some of the time we want someone to help us on various locations.

Do you know if the roads (I guess I'm most concerned about the main road) from the Marriott south are lighted at night? And is driving easy? We live in NYC so aggressive drivers aren't much of a concern.

Alternatively, how much does a taxi to Patong or Surin run?

Also, on your return Sue please post a report if you can, especially on your dining. As you can see from my name, we are into food and cooking, and work with a number of chefs.
Thanks.
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 03:40 PM

Mr. Sam and Mr. Mor are both reputable drivers.

The main roads are lit at night.

People drive in a rather chaotic fashion, but if you live in NYC - not much of a problem. Just keep your speed down.

Here's info on renting a car on Phuket:

http://phuketdelight.com/phuket_car_rent.htm

Try Budget Rent a Car - a bit cheaper. Taxis - will run a LOT more overall.
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

The Marriott Resort does run a small bus almost daily into Patong Beach, it used to be free, but now there is a nominal charge. However, for my tastes, one visit to Patong was more than enough for me. Very commercial, gawdy, honky tonk,and not something we liked. Didn't find much in the way of good eating there either. Previously, we have had good eating at NyYang Beach - you need a driver or, need to drive there, at some of the little places right on the sand, esp if you like whole baked/thai prepared fish which you pick out of the case on ice, caught that day.

Does anyone have contact data for the drivers Mr Sam and Mr Mor who were mentioned by Tedkama?????
Thanks
Sue
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 05:41 PM

Sue, if you just want to go out to dinner or make a run to the grocery store, you can take a taxi. No need to rent a car or a car and driver.
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Kathie, but the Marriott is pretty remote and to go out to dinner elsewhere, you would probably have to have a driver or drive yourself as getting a taxi back might be hard, same with shopping, the closest supermarkets (good ones) are some distance away. I don't even recall seeing ordinary taxis at this Marriott on Phuket. We are staying in the Marriott Timeshares (attached to the Resort) and will have a full kitchen as well as 2 BR 2 BA and I plan on doing some cooking myself so want to get in groceries for 2 weeks.
Sue
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 07:39 PM

Sue,
The contact information below is from a posting on TA. The email address worked, it took Mr. Sam a day or two to reply to me.

Mr. Sam:
[email protected]
382/43 Moo 1 Laguna Phuket Entrance Cherngtalay, Thalang District Phuket 83110 Thailand
Tel 66 76 271209 Fax 66 76 271124. Mobile. No. 07 2818868

Re: the rental car.
Is the AVIS option available such that they will pick up and drop off the car at the hotel?
Thanks
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 07:41 PM

sue---we liked having the self drive car...i used budget...check their prices
Old Dec 31st, 2006, 02:58 AM

To be honest there is not that much to see around Phuket except for several lovely beaches that have re-built since the Tsunami. A drive/guide for $50-$70 with gratuity is worth while for 1-2 days max.Taxi to restaurants from the Marriott were $10-12 RT to a number of restaurants but confirm rate before you get in.
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 07:30 AM

"To be honest there is not that much to see around Phuket"

Oh, I beg to differ!

jamie-monk.blogspot.com
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Batfish/Jamie
I enjoyed your blog and will print out some of your recommendations for good eats. We will be on the Island next week, for a couple of weeks.
We have been before (last Jan 06) but never saw any of the views and places you describe. Seems we would do best with a rental car to take some of your trips. Do you have one rental company, local that you recommend?
Sue
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 04:08 PM

Hi Sue,

Your message sums up the reason why I started the blog. Many many visitors to Phuket do not see these places, since most visitors are rather confined to resort/organised tours/beach...you do need your own wheels to properly explore Phuket, which is a much bigger place than people realise. As for car rentl - see the link provided by TedKarma further up the thread. In the past I have rented cars from VIA who have an office in Patong beach, or had..not sure any more!

Enjoy exploring!

Jamie
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 12:06 AM

Budget are good, although I drive down mostly if I fly down I stick with budget as get a good discount plus get points. A while since used but in past Airport Car rent and David Car rent were ok but as I say have not used either of those for a while.
Most cards / airline memberships can get you around 20% off Budget so makes it a reasonable deal.
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Hi JamesA
I looked at their website - the Phuket one- but all the airline cards that offer discounts seemed to be Asian Airlines. I doubt they'd be that impressed with a Platinum American Airlines Card!. Might they honor Marriott or Hilton Cards? would we do just as well on site directly at the airport as from here (US) booking on internet. DH was a bit disappointed as last year someone had posted that it was about $20 a day to rent a car but checking some of the cheapest it's about $45 a day and, none of the discounts or coupons work that are applicable in the US. No big problem, but after reading a few posts it does sound like self drive on the days we want to visit some hidden venues would be much nicer (at least for me who will not be driving!) on our own.
Sue