Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Need advice whether it is worht to rent a car in Phuket or not?

May 31st, 2015, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Hello everybody, my family and I are planning to go to Phuket after being in Bangkok for two nights. We will be there June 4th-6th. Since we have five nights there, I would like to rent a car to drive around and sight seeing. What do you all think about that? Someone told us that it is not recommended because it will be hard for me to-read the sight in Thai language.
I would like to hear your response or recommendations. Thank you in advance
May 31st, 2015, 11:47 AM

It depends on what you want to do/see/experience in Phuket. If you are going for beach activities, there is no need for a car. Personally, I didn't find driving around Phuket very interesting. But if you are staying at a resort that is isolated and want to go out to dinner different places, you might find it convenient. But even without a car, you can get a taxi to a restaurant. Most road signs (that are not universal signs) are in English as well as Thai.
May 31st, 2015, 04:26 PM

We rented a car for our 7 day Phuket stay. We were staying in the northern, more isolated, part of the island so we used the car everyday.
May 31st, 2015, 05:12 PM

All the signs you will need are written in English as well as Thai so that is not a problem. We recently picked and returned a rental car at Phuket Airport to drive up to Khao Lak and Khao sok NP. The driving is easy and the roads are pretty good.

It largely depends on how much you fee you will use the car I.e. Sightseeing or relaxing by the pool or beach. The cost of renting a car for your whole stay will buy a lot of taxi rides! With only 5 nights there I would decide what you want yo see before deciding on whether to rent a car or not.
May 31st, 2015, 05:25 PM

I always rent a car there from Pure car rentals
May 31st, 2015, 11:35 PM

There are a lot of new speed limit signs recently put up on Phuket Island, and on Highway 4 towards Khao Lak.

These speed limits signs are [apparently] only advisory signs, and completely ignored by local drivers...

http://www.thephuketnews.com/mandato...tory-51547.php

The main road from Phuket Town towards the airport and exiting the Island is mainly 3 carriageway, and driving skills erratic, with weaving between the traffic the norm.

Once off the Island it gets better, but always expect the unexpected.
Jun 1st, 2015, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your great suggestions. I will take into consideration all your tips. thanks again