Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Rent a Car in Samui or rely on taxis? Staying at Sala Resort in Choengmon

Feb 25th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Hi all-
My husband and I will be in Koh Samui for 4 nights and 3 full days (July) at the Sala in Choengmon. We'll have just come in from NY, so will be dealing with lots of jet lag but still want to explore and do stuff: waterfalls, visiting different villages, eating lots, beaching and spa-ing. Do we need to rent a car or can we rely on taxis to get around? Should we hire a driver? And is it crazy to think about renting mopeds?
Also, if there's some place: restaurant, spa, waterfall, snorkel trip, etc. that you think is a must, please let me know!!!
Feb 25th, 2010, 12:35 PM

Hi Suep!!

I might be of some help here. I have recently been to Koh Samui and have a number of blog posts and photos on my travel blog. Taxis can be really cheap and as you'll read, there are easy ways of hiring a tour guide and driver for the day, cheaply. If you did rent a car, the cost would be higher than what a guide or taxi would cost. You do have to bargain on occasion, but the people are so nice that it's not awkward.

Many people actually rent scooters, which is cheaper, but you'd had to be comfortable and good at driving one. If you're interested, check out my blog at www.LutherBailey.blogspot.com and use the drop down menu on the sidebar to find the posts on Koh Samui, there are a number of them and they are ordered by "Part..."

Good luck1

Luther
Feb 25th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

great site Luther! definitely makes it harder to wait for our trip!
Feb 25th, 2010, 03:44 PM

Thank you so much! You'll have to let us know how your trip goes!
Feb 27th, 2010, 05:05 PM

Renting

Firstly Samui is meant to have one of the highest road death rates in Thailand.

This is probably due to tourists who rent motorcycles and have no experience and a lot of alcohol and aren't used to driving on the left - (they even have signs reminding you to do this).

A good way to explore the island is to rent a small Suzuki Jeep, they can handle some of the more "adventurous" roads inland.

Renting a vehicle in Thailand is fraught with pitfalls.

firstly bring an IDP - International Drivers permit - they will rent you anything you like on Samui on production of any kind of ID - passport (don't leave that with them!) home DL etc.
However - in the event of any incident involving a claim you may find that without your IDP you don't have insurance - even though you were charged for it!

I would also recommend that you photograph any vehicle you hire before you drive off to avoid any "misunderstandings" regarding subsequent claims for damage.

Motorcycles are available everywhere - I really think you need to have ridden before to be safe.

4 wheel vehicles - it is really best to spend that little extra and hire from a well-known international company - e.g. Budget - that way you should avoid all the pitfalls above.

as for taxis - unless there has been a radical change in the last few months, there are FAR too many taxis on Samui all touting for business - if you decide to use one - bargain as hard as you can over price and get it agreed before you set off.

I really don't like the mentality of the average taxi driver, most have to pay the local "Mafia" to get their job and the whole thing is corrupt from the top down.
Feb 27th, 2010, 05:07 PM

PS - see if you can get up to Uncle Nimm's magic garden - a very quirky place up in the hills with some eateries nearby with stunning views.
Feb 27th, 2010, 05:12 PM

I would rent a car, not a motorbike! Too many crazy drivers!

I don't know how far your resort is from Chaweng Beach, but just south out of Chaweng is a great restaurant called The Cliff. Good food. Fantastic view. A very nice place.
Feb 27th, 2010, 08:53 PM

renting a car is the best as taxis generally are pick up trucks with places to sit in the back and take many people along a specified route along main roads...

rent a small vehicle....go to a local travel agent there to save lots of $$