Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Canadian Debit Cards in Japanese ATM's ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have used our Toronto Dominion/Canada Trust cards whereevre we travelled until India. There I had a terrible time trying to find an ATM which would accept them, despite having the correct symbols (interac) on the ATM.. My American travelling companion had to sub me for days and days. I eventually found my cards would work at HSBC.

Can any Canadians out there tell me if their Canada Trust card worked in Japan? I don't like carrying large sums of cash. Not because I fear being robbed but because I just might loose it!!!

I also pay money on to my Visa card so it shows a credit in my account and I am not charged interest in the event I have to use it.

One more question. I believe we have to use ATM's at convenience stores and post offices. What is the transaction limit from these machines? Again in India I found very low amounts dispensed resulting in many withdrawls each with a fee attached.
Thanks Sue
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 02:21 PM

Hi Sue -

Can't speak for Canadians or Canadian cards or for anyplace in Japan other than Narita! But I can tell you that in Narita (town, not airport) I was told that most bank's ATMs would not take a card that was not issued in Japan. I was able to use my card at an ATM at 7/11. The 7/11 ATM issued ONLY 10,000 yen notes. The options were 10,000, 20,000 and 30,000. I don't know if you could manually enter a higher amount if you wanted it. The transaction fee for a 10,000 yen withdrawal was 210 yen.

Hope this helps a little and that you're able to get more specific info...
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 02:34 PM

http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/que...y.html?0+50705

Above is a discussion about using Canadian debit cards in Japan - hope that helps!
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 03:47 PM

Withdrawal limit in Japan is very high - probably much higher than your card's limit! Typically you can withdraw something like 200,000 yen in one go, sometimes up to 500,000 yen (US$5500). But of course if your card has a lower daily limit, that will apply.

dreaming: 210 yen transaction charge was because you used a Mastercard/Cirrus card. Visa/Plus cards would have been free on Seven Bank ATMs (in 7-Eleven stores). There is no charge for using Master/Cirrus in Japan Post or Citibank ATMs.
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 04:03 AM

7-11 ATMs were easy to use--but I'm from the USA. I had no charge for using the 7-11 ATM other than the 1% standard VISA/MC conversion fee. Post office ATMs were slightly more difficult to use as at the end of the process I had to push a button that is not translated into English, but I figured it out.
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 01:56 PM

I used US debit cards all over in Japan. They had the Visa logo on them. Make sure you call your bank prior to leaving to let them know you will be in Japan and using your debit or credit cards. Found out about that the hard and embarrassing way when my card was declind at the Sheraton. Luckily all it took wa a quick call.
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 08:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. One more thing I don't need to worry about.
Sue
Old Nov 4th, 2009, 12:54 AM

You can use your switch card in all main post offices although you will have to ask for help to use them.