ATM cards and credit cards in Japan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard that it may be hard to use your ATM card in Japan. are there some banks that are better than others? is there any trouble with using basic mastercard or visa cards?
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 02:48 PM

You can use CIRRUS, plus, mc, visa logo cards - there are more but you could check Japan Post's website for the exact info - in post office and post office bank machines (called Japan Bank). Familiarize yourself with what they look like as there are many of them all over the place but there are also many others which won't accept foreign issues cards. Citibank and 7-11 also accept foreign cards. Be sure you have a 4-digit PIN and that you completely understand the charges for use internationally imposed by your bank and that you understand your daily limit as well.

In stores, restaurants and hotels credit cards are usually but not always accepted. Don't expect souvenir stands or noodle shops to take them.
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 03:49 AM
Original Poster

thanks so much
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 06:28 AM

I always call my ATM and credit card issuers to inform them of my travel dates - have never had a problem at Post Offices in Japan - after 7 trips....
Enjoy!
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 09:31 AM

This page only repeats the information provided above in the previous two brilliant posts before me did but with pictures.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2208.html

Aloha!
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 09:32 AM

I agree, the best place to use an ATM card in Japan is at the Post Office ATMs.

Mastercard and Visa are widely accepted, not all stores will take credit cards but many do.
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 10:21 AM

On a trip to an onsen north of Nikko a couple of years ago I ended up in a fairly tight spot. I'd planned on using a credit card to purchase my train ticket (Tobu, not JR) but when I got to the station at Asakusa found that I couldn't purchase it directly from the agent, but would have to buy it from a travel agent across the way, and the travel agent wouldn't be opening for another 20 minutes or so. So instead I used cash (that I'd been planning on keeping in reserve) for the outbound trip, assuming that I'd be able to get cash from an ATM in Nikko or use a credit card for my return trip by using a travel agent in Nikko. This turned out to be not nearly so easy as I'd thought it would be, and in the end I was able to get a cash advance from a bank ATM (which would not accept my ATM card) using my Visa card (and very curiously without a PIN or similar password). Had I not been returning to the US via NRT that afternoon I'd have had more options, but I'd scheduled my last day very tightly.

Having sufficient cash on hand would have made things a great deal less nerve-wracking.
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

thanks so much everyone. What I'm gathering is that while one can usually use an ATM card at a post office or train station, in Japan it is more important to carry cash and have other options than it would be in Europe. your advice is much appreciated