Search

Ipod in India

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 11:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ipod in India

In a five star hotel am I likely to find a gadget in the room for recharging my Nano?

Roonie
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 04:45 AM

Most 5 star hotels have at least on 110V outlet in the bathroom. You can also buy an adapter through Apple. They sell a "World Adapter" box kit, I forget how much now. It includes what you need for India. Slip off the US 110V from your recharging brick, slip on the 2 prong India and you're good to go. The iPod recharging brick can handle the 110V or 240V.
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 10:24 AM

Five star hotels will almost always have one of those odd outlets that receive just about any plug in the world. As long as your adapter is rated for both 110 and 240, just plug your ipod into whichever set of holes fit!

Ever since I fried a Kodak camera about 5 years ago, I always made sure I get dual voltage travel cameras, shones, ipods, etc.

On occasion, a hotel will have a 110 plug in the bathroom with a sign saying "110 shavers only". I use this for any chargers, not just shavers.

I do carry a small Indian adapter (2 round prongs) that can accept my flat prongs. It is just a "shape" adapter, and will work in any remaining Indian outlets, so charging is never an issue, even in budget hotels or airport lobbies,
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 11:55 AM

But you do have to bring your own Ipod charger (that's the "gadget" you're referring to, I assume.) Don't expect to find the "gadget" at the hotel.
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 01:40 PM

I have seen some hotels with A/V connectors so one can play their music/video/games on the TV, but I have yet to find one with a powered USB port.
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 05:34 PM

Okay. i see I totally misunderstood that question! I've never seen any dock or ports for recharging an Ipod in India, even at the best hotels.
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 05:38 PM

Oh, let me take it back. I did remember seeing one iPod dock/music player in one hotel I've stayed in the last 2 years. Out of like 20 hotels. Can't remember which one, however.
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 05:42 PM

Some 5-star hotels in India, like the Aman resorts, some of the Leelas, and the Devi Gargh in Udaipur, have speakers/docking stations for ipods which will recharge. You would have to check with the hotel.

Otherwise, your ipod Nano is dual voltage so all you need to do is bring your charger, which is nothing more than the white electric wire with a plug on the end. Now all you need is to find a wall socket which fits that plug so you can re-charge it. If you have a US plug with 2 flat pins, you can, as noted above, use the “shavers only” socket in the bathroom.

I have also found that many five-star hotels in India now also have US-style sockets at the desk, usually elevated near the lamp, or in a panel on the desk surface. They also often have a 3-pin triangle configuration socket at the desk for European electrical equipment. Indian wall sockets otherwise are generally two round pins (although this can vary). Most good hotels can provide you with an adaptor to “adapt” your plug to fit their wall socket. Otherwise you can buy some before you leave or when you arrive in India.

There is a website called http://voltagevalet.com/ that in my experience is a fairly reliable source of information on the type of outlet configurations you are likely to find in virtually any country in the world. click on "What You Will Need for Where you Want to Go" from the menu on the left.
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 07:45 PM
Original Poster

Presently I only recharge my Nano on my computer. It's clear I'd better get a proper charger. It sounds like I can then recharge both Nano and cell phone in the bathroom.
Thank you everyone.
Roonie
Old Nov 4th, 2009, 04:11 AM

OK well based on that, most 5 star hotels have busines centres or other access to PCs which would include a pin drive where you could probably charge your nano. But not from your room. And perhaps not on a 24 hour basis. (Actually I am quite positive that if you asked the front desk to charge it on their own PCs, they would do so. Service levels are something to behold in Asia.) But I agree that you probably would be wise to purchase a charger. That will hopefully also work in the seat of the plane so you don't wear down the battery on the long plane flight.