BKK Peninsula-Early Check-In?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Taking the advice of this board and booking a deluxe room at the Peninsula (instead of a grand deluxe).

We arrive in Bangkok at 10:30am from the US (business class on Cathay Pacific). Check in is at 2pm, but the hotel offers guaranteed early check in if you pre-pay one night. Is it worth it? Or should we try our luck when we get there?
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 01:52 PM

When we have a very early arrival somewhere, like the early AM hours when it's still dark, we do book the room for the night before so we will have it for sure. But in your case, it's not so early.

We had no trouble checking in before noon when we were there in August. With your arrival time, you won't get there much before noon either, and I would not prepay a night for 2 hours when the likelihood of your room being ready is quite high. Just be sure your arrival time is noted on your reservation. If your room is not ready, they will certainly keep your bags and you can eat lunch or go to the pool or spa or something.

Old Dec 18th, 2007, 08:11 PM

for what it's worth, I checked into the Pen this week at 8am and got whisked to my room. Was here in October, same thing. Time before that, same thing.

So I don't know if I'm just lucky or what, but I've never had to wait for a room at the pen.
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 08:26 PM

Same experience as Lori and Kim. We arrived just over a month ago on an 11 AM flight and had no problems checking in early.

Love, love, LOVE that hotel! It's all that and a bag of chips. Enjoy it--and definitely splurge on the spa. It's worth every cent!
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 10:46 PM

If your flight arrival time is 10:30 am, by the time you get through Immigration and get to the hotel, it will be Noon if you are very lukcy, and much more likely closer to 1 pm or even later, so I would not pay for early arrival.

If you mean you have an early morning arrival at expect to BE at the hotel at 10:30, then you might pre-book a spa treatment, like a massage for 11 am and go right there. Have a massage, great for th ejet lag, a shower, get a robe and then go to your room after that. Or just go to the gym or the pool, the hotel will let you use all the facilities even if you have not physcially checked in.

You can also do the reverse for a departing flight: book a spa service for after you have checked out and use the locker to store stuff for the day. You can also do this by just getting a gym locker for the day and keepting your stuff there. I have even kept a carry on bag behind the desk at the gym all day before a flight, no probelm with the staff. Then shower, a change and onto the flight.
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 03:41 AM

I hope you don't mind if I come in here and ask a Peninsula question..

Is it true that their boats cross the river only once an hour? So if you are coming back to the hotel from the city you have to time your arrival or wait up to an hour for the next boat??
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 03:48 AM

EK
The Pen boats are crossing the river all the time. I've never had to wait very long for the shuttle either to or from the hotel. Not sure where you got the idea about once an hour...
Carol
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 04:15 AM

Thanks! I think I got the idea from misreading Kristine's blog...I feel very relieved now!!
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 05:41 AM

EK
I've not stayed at the Pen for a while, but I am certain that you don't have to wait for the shuttle THAT long. Now, Bob and Karen I think have to wait a while for the shuttle to the Marriott.

Maybe someone who has just recently stayed at the Pen will chime in with their own experiences with the shuttle.

Carol
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 05:55 AM

Eks- Yes, I think you misread my website.
The Pen has a boat that goes to "River City" mall once per hour. The rest of the time it seems like they always have at least one boat on the river, sometimes two, going to their pier on the other side or to Taksin Pier where the sky train is.
They run very frequently and up until midnight.
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 06:04 AM

Thanks, Kristina! I read your site and did not understand...now I am about to go back and read more of your exploits..I am up to the meal at Taling Pling!

So wonderful that you could share these trips with your Mom..and to think that you have Rome/Positano and Vietnam all set for next year!

Keep up the good work and, to borrow a phrase, Happy Travels!
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 05:37 PM

Once checked in to the Pen at 8:30 in Grand Deluxe (no balcony) and in 20 minutes we were in our room and our bags followed 10 minutes latter. We requested a 2:30 check-out and they accommodated us as well. This was in April '06.
They even offerred us breakfast when we arrived for this 4 night stay but we took a nap.