BKK - new to old airport transfers

Mar 26th, 2007, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

BKK - new to old airport transfers

Just received an email from Thai Airways to say that our flight from Bangkok to Chiang Rai has been moved from Suvarnabhumi to Don Muang. Our Eva flight is still arriving into Suvarnabhumi so we have 3 hours for the transfer which I am hoping will be enough. Can anyone recommend a limo company for the transfer?
Mar 26th, 2007, 07:24 AM

there are two....i use AAC limo....the new airport has its own serive which is called AOT and they have a desk right outside the customs area....

three hours is none too much time if you have to claim your luggage and then drive from one to the other...

some internal flights still fly from the new airport...i would call thai and see if you could be put on one of them rather than chg airports...

if luggage is checked through i would be nervous about receiving it at my ultimate destination quite honestly...

i saw something recently about allowable time airport to airport and it was either 2.5 or 3.5 hours...

personally i would not be happy with the 3 hours...

try to change to a new airport departure...
Mar 26th, 2007, 07:47 AM

There is only 1 flight out of the new airport at 13.45. The other 2 flights are from the old airport Don Mueang.

You don't need a limo to get from one to another, a regular taxi will do. The trip takes around an hour on expressways but could take longer depending on traffic conditions. As long as your Eva flight is on time you should be able to make the connection, 1hr to get out of the airport, 1hr traveling leaving plenty of time for check-in. That is providing everything goes smothly.
Mar 26th, 2007, 09:01 AM

They had on TV that they were also going to run buses, when is your flight? If it's not too soon maybe we will have clearer picture on how the 'flow' goes.
As Scotters said, there is only that 1345 flight from BKK.

I have never loved our "little" U-Tapao Airport so much - what a breeze !!
Mar 26th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for teh speedy response guys. Our flight arrives at 14.55 and departs at 18.00, which I think is the last flight to CR, so I guess we will have to stick with the plan and hope that the flight fom London arrives on time (which really will be a triumph of hope over experience!).

If we miss it then we will have to try and get the 1st flight out the next day, whch I think is around midday.
Mar 26th, 2007, 01:48 PM

Should your flight be late in arriving which would make it impossible to make the 18.00 flight there is one alternative.
Air Asia (discount carrier) has a flight at 20.05 from Suvarnabhumi at a cost of around 1400 baht. The only disadvantage is the baggage allowance of 15kgs and no seat allocation.
Mar 26th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks scotters. The seat allocation is not a problem for such a short flight & I will go weigh the bags now! Presumably "normal" excess charges apply for anything over 15kg?
Mar 26th, 2007, 04:15 PM

Overweight baggage on Air Asia used to be around 80 baht per kg. This could have changed but not by much.
Mar 26th, 2007, 06:08 PM

CHECK WITH THAI - They're supposed to make sure you get from one airport to the other - FREE.

Of course, the free transfer may not get you there on time, so you may still end up in a taxi. Just make sure they use the meter. There were reports on the first day of taxis asking the mood to take people from one airport to the other.