Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

How much time to connect in new airport?

Oct 4th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

We are flying on Myanmar International Airways from Yagon to Bangkok on Jan 1. Flight arrives at 9:10AM. Would we be able to make a Bangkok Air flight to Phuket at 10:45AM? Next flight out is 11:45AM on Thai Airways. Just not sure how large the airport is and how much time it would take to go from International Arrivals to Domestic Departure. Also - how much time would be needed to check in? Thanks.
Oct 4th, 2006, 04:43 PM

When is your trip? The airport is new enough that no one knows for sure how long it will take once everything is running smoothly. And the new airport is huge. Since this is an international to domestic connection, you'll have to go through passport control. I'd say you should e able to make the 11:45 flight.
Oct 4th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Our trip is Jan 1, 2007 from Yagon to Bangkok and then to Phuket.
Oct 4th, 2006, 05:49 PM

I'd book the Thai flight. I find it hard to imagine that you could make the earlier flight. Also, if you book with Thai, they have flights bascially hourly so they will move you to a different flight if you need to.
Oct 4th, 2006, 06:55 PM

i would take the later flight....things are still a mess there according to a local thai friend...
Oct 7th, 2006, 12:19 PM

We were on one of the first international flights out of BKK on Sept 28 and was relieved it was on time. Then flew into BKK on Oct 3 with a connecting flight to the states and again everything went smoothly. Our flight to the states was also on time. The only screw up was our luggage staying in BKK, but that was our fault. Instead on checking through the luggage from Bali to JFK, we thought it might be safer to check it to BKK, pick it up and recheck it to JFK. When we got to BKK and realized we would have to pay another airport fee, Thai Air said they would pick up the luggage for us and recheck it, which never happened. The airport is huge but effecient.