Bangkok airport - domestic transfer

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that a new airport is opening in Bangkok, but I was wondering if I could get some advice based on the current airport.

I am flying from Krabi to Chiang Mai and will have to transfer in Bangkok. What is the minimum time between flights that I should have if I am flying the same airline? What about if I am flying different airlines? I will be checking luggage.

Thank you!

Jason
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 04:55 PM

without flight delays...your luggage should be transferred for you on the same airline so this is not an issue...many domestic flights are "bus" gates and that takes longer...especially with bangkok air...i would not want less than 45 minutes for a transfer...for different airlines i would be more comfortable with 1 hour or more....

none of us know about the new airport...

at the current airport bangkok air is slightly removed from the normal area....i do not know about the discount airlines....some domestic flights run right on schedule and some are a bit haphazard....and often late...
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 05:16 PM

If you are flying any budget airlines, be sure you understand that should you miss your flight for any reason, including if your previous flight were delayed, you will need to purchase another ticket to take any different flight. Delays can and do happen, with every airline. If I wanted to do the whole trip in one day I'd fly from Phuket to Chiang Mai non-stop on Thai...saves buying two tickets and the worry of not making the second flight and the time you'll spend. 2 flights on 2 airlines as you describe will take much longer, and could end up costing much more if you miss #2 because of a delay on #1.
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 05:21 PM

Forget that, it looks like they only do the nonstop in the other direction. I'd still work it so that it was only one airline though and booked on one ticket so that you might have some protection in the event flight #1 is delayed.
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 11:03 AM

Experienced the new airport end of April. Arrived in Bangkok at 12.35 a.m, on a flight from Chicago via Narita. Flight for Phuket left at 7.30 a.m. Hotel at airport was full. Sort of relaxed... lots of internal flights arriving from mainland China - very large groups - very noisy.
Had to stand in line at 4.30 a.m. to reconfirm our ticket to Phuket. This was absolute chaos - no line-ups, no number system.....finally got the flight confirmed then proceeded to waiting area to be bused to plane. Seemed chaotic - only felt good when we were finally seated in the plane. This could be teething pains but it appeared they were not prepared for the huge crowds from mainland China which seemed to throw the whole place into panic. Also, the lack of courtesy shown to the staff behind the desk was very upsetting to us. As we all know, the Thai people will go out of their way to assist you they did not need to be treated so badly and abused.
Going back in mid-January.
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 04:43 PM

how could you experience the "new" airport at the end of april when it has not even opened yet???????