Suvarnabhumi to Dorn Muang

Old Feb 4th, 2007, 03:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suvarnabhumi to Dorn Muang

Does anyone know how long it would take to get from the new airport to the old? If the plans to move domestic flights back to the old airport turn out to be correct, I am comcerned that we may have to alter our flights to make the connection for our transit to Chaing Rai.Currently we have a 3.5 hour wait between arrival and departure.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 05:25 AM

Once you are in a car I would say that it shouldn't take you longer than 45 minutes. For the domestic departure you are expected to be at the airport at least 45 minutes before the departure time so in your case I think you have more than enough time.

It is also very possible that your domestic flight might still be taking off from Suvanabhumi airport since Chiang Rai is a very popular destination for foreign tourist.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 02:18 PM

We are headed to CR in april and I had the same concern (we have only 2 hours between flights) but at the moment, the airlines that are shifting ops back to DM are the ones that handle only internal flights....Nok Air, OneTwoThreeGo (or something to that effect) etc.
Air Asia, BKK Air and Thai have kept all ops at the new airport at least for the time being. Fingers crossed it stays that way.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 04:06 PM

Thai says they will move SOME domestic flights to Don Muang, although NOTHING is confirmed at this point. Thai also says they will run a free shuttle between the two airports.

If you're connecting from an international flight, the 'rule' laid down by the cabinet is that your flight will be out of the new airport. Only 'non-connecting' flights can move back to Don Muang.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 04:12 PM

I'm a bit curious how any flight can be non-connecting, as it seems that virtually every flight has connection potential...or does that mean that airlines who don't have international flights at all are automatically non-connecting...so Nok Air would move for example? Not that it matters, as we have virtually no control over what flights depart from where, but the uncertainty of where you fly in and out of could be troubling to some..,and inconvenient should you guess wrong and end up with an impossible connection.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 04:57 PM

Kim has a good point and even for us locals we are still(at least I am) in the dark as to the final plan. I think they are still trying to figure it out but for sure Don Muang will be reopen.

Old Feb 4th, 2007, 05:52 PM

That's exactly why I put 'non-connecting' in quotes. It doesn't sound thought out at all to me either.

Except, since you can fly through on an international flight on Thai, and if your final destination is Chiang Mai, Had Yai or Phuket, then you go through immigration in the final destination. This suggests that ALL Thai flights to those destinations will have to stay at the new airport. They can only move the flights for which you would have to go through immigration in Bangkok anyway.

Otherwise, Nok and 1-2-Go can move all their flights. Air Asia says they can't move any because their planes switch between domestic and international flights all the time. Bangkok Air is in the same position.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 03:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback everyone. as is only 45 mins between the airports I will leave the flights as they are and just hope that we avoid the hassle of changing airports. Our flight from London is with Eva Air and the connection to Chiang Rai Thai, hopefully both Thai have enough influence with the authorities to insist that they continue to operate from the new airport for international and domestic flights
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 02:58 PM

Hi Crellston - looks like the only certainty at the moment is the total uncertainty of day-by-day updates/decisions.

Thai Cabinet decided yesterday that Don Muang would re-open as Bangkok's second INTERNATIONAL airport in about (?) 45 days!

The latest on transportation between airports (BKK and DMK) is well ahhh
"in the planning stages" and which airlines will move their operations back to Don Muang is also "in the planning stages" as the whole scenario has changed with Cabinet's decision to re-open Don Muang as an International airport. At the moment it seems the lo-budget airlines are wanting to return because of the lower airport fees, but of course the next news bulletin might advise DM's increased fees and the whole applecart will be a-over-t again.

Jackie