BKK - New or different hotel

May 27th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

BKK - New or different hotel

Greetings all: I am looking for a new or different hotel recommendation for my next trip to BKK in September. On previous trips I have stayed in the Mill. Hilton, Marriott Resort, Peninsula, and Metropolitan. I am considering the Le Bua State Tower or Banyan Tree.
I am trying to avoid tour groups and other large groups. Looking for a nice relaxing place... Any thoughts or suggestions? THANKS, Michael
May 27th, 2009, 12:59 PM

I'VE been to both and would say the Banyan Tree. The rooms - all suites - are lovely and the public areas are stylish. The staff are both professional and welcoming and we always felt instantly chilled when we returned after a hot day's sightseeing. It seems rather more personal in its approach than Le Bua, which is more business orientated. If relaxation is what you're looking for, it's the better choice IMO. Both have fabulous rooftop restaurants, though.
May 27th, 2009, 01:29 PM

... sorry, I was actually running a bath when I wrote the earlier piece and rushed it a bit. Anyway, I've stayed at the Hilton, Conrad, Sheraton and Centara also and the Banyan Tree is, by far, my favourite. The Spa, as you might expect, is exceptional.

However, if you're looking for something really different. On our last trip we also stayed at the Eugenia. It's a boutique hotel of 12 suites all done up in a classy, colonial style. You'll find reviews of it elsewhere in the forums. It's far more 'Bangkok' than other luxury hotels, full of antiques and olde-worlde charm, it even has a pool! There are other nice touches, such as free phone calls, WiFi and minbar and its own tuk-tuk to take you to the nearest skytrain or metro. Perhaps not for everyone but you should look it up and see what you think.
May 27th, 2009, 04:03 PM

If the idea of the Eugenia appeals to you, take a look at their website. For me, the dead animal heads everywhere put me off. If that doesn't bother you, it looks lovely.
May 27th, 2009, 07:38 PM

there is a new meridien, near to the river on the same street as the jim thompson main store if that interests you...

there are a couple of new hotels on sukhumvit too...

how about the shangri-la??
May 28th, 2009, 11:03 PM
mlb

I'm currently staying in a new serviced apartment called Chatrium Residences. This is a 3 tower complex on the river and one of the towers is a hotel called Chatrium Suites. The hotel is getting very good reviews on tripadvisor. The 1-bedroom I'm staying in is very nice and all three towers are brand new. In fact, they are only in soft opening mode. They have all the amenities of a full-service hotel (pool, wifi, couple restaurants, etc...).

The views over the river are great and they have a boat that takes you up to the Saphan Taksin skytrain station (a 4-minute ride).

If you want a larger room, I would consider Chatrium Suites.
May 29th, 2009, 04:43 AM

I've noticed Chatrium. Beautiful set of buildings! I was wondering if it would have short term apartment rentals. How are the prices? How late do the shuttle boats to the skytrain run? I might consider trying this place sometime.
Carol
May 29th, 2009, 05:21 AM

that complex is another project of the emporium suites group that owns guen's favorite place on sukhumvit....

how are the prices??
May 29th, 2009, 05:37 AM

www.agoda.com currently has some almost 1/2 priced rates for this hotel...grab it...
May 29th, 2009, 05:46 AM

We visited Chatrium when we were in Bangkok in November. We didn't see the hotel, but we were totally unimpressed with the condos... poor floor plans, cheesy construction, tacky materials. I was quite surprised. I assume the hotel rooms are much nicer.

They told us that the apartments for rent were only for long term lease - 6 mos or more. But I'm sure it depends on just how full they are.

The boat ran twice an hour.
May 29th, 2009, 09:17 AM
mlb

"We visited Chatrium when we were in Bangkok in November. We didn't see the hotel, but we were totally unimpressed with the condos... poor floor plans, cheesy construction, tacky materials."

Wow....not sure where you stay in Bangkok but this sure isn't what I'm experiencing right now as I sit in my 1-bedroom. I did just get back from 10 days at Alila in Cha-Am to give you an idea of the style of lodging I like....if you want tacky and cheesy construction try the new Vie Hotel (stayed there for 3 nights - worth it for the current price though). The room style is more contemporary and minimal at Chatrium - although I haven't looked at a hotel room yet.

I actually prefer Chatrium to Grande Centre Point (where we stayed during our 4 months here last year). Grande Centre Point's 1-bedroom was larger than Chatrium's but I didn't care for the overly ornate furnishings (although they were of slightly better quality). I find Chatrium residences comfortable for longer term stays, but for anything less than a month, I would recommend the hotel as the rooms are more thoroughly decorated. At the residences, they expect you to tailor the room to your own style since they assume you will be staying longer term.

The Residences do require a minimum of 6-months although sales may be willing to work something out, I'm not sure. The monthly rates are comparable to other serviced apartments in Bangkok and they have many different floor plans and views (which determine pricing). I would encourage you to come visit the property and see a unit.

The location is very convenient to the Saphan Taksin BTS station - 4-minute ride with their boat operating every 15 minutes during rush hour and 30 minutes thereafter, until 10:35pm.
May 29th, 2009, 08:29 PM

mlb, there are three towers - the hotel, the apartments and the condos. We looked at the condos and were unimpressed, but they didn't have any river view units left. I had heard that the hotel was nice, and I'm glad to hear the apartments are nice. I was really shocked at the condos. Having looked at the model units for The River, it was quite a contrast.
May 29th, 2009, 09:37 PM
mlb

Kathie - yes, I've only seen the residences and not the condos or hotel

Although keep in mind that the model units rarely look like the finished products when shopping for condos in Bangkok. This is a tough market to purchase in because of the lack of enforced building codes and zoning. Plus, given the growth rate of Bangkok projected to be 5%+ over the next few years who knows if the view a unit might currently have will be there in 5-10 years...given all this, I think I'll stick to serviced apartments and hotels!
May 30th, 2009, 04:17 AM

Why do so few people mention the Sukhothai Hotel? It looks beautiful and does not appear to be frequented by tour groups:

http://www.sukhothaihotel.com/
May 30th, 2009, 07:37 AM

eks...it is a lovely hotel, a bit pricey, but mostly i think it is its location in the middle of the hi-rise business district...
May 30th, 2009, 09:52 AM

Thanks, Bob. I am leaning toward that myself if I can get a price break...it just looks so lovely and low key, and has a high approval rating from our local agent, Hanuman (I use the term agent loosely) approval.
May 30th, 2009, 11:56 AM

eks, I, too, consider the location not so good. I've visited the hotel a couple of times, and it looks lovely, but the atmosphere seemed to me to be more of a business hotel. But I would absolutely trust Hanumans's recommendation.
May 30th, 2009, 12:24 PM

Thanks, Kathie. I certainly value your advice. I thought that I would stay away from the river next time. As much as I loved the Peninsula, it was a bit isolated for me. Meaning that of course you could take the boat to the Skytrain, but in my jet lagged condition, that seemed a bit too much trouble at night to get to eating places. Bangkok will again be my first stop and I anticipate more jet lag so wanted to just be able to go out and walk from the hotel. But I also gather that this may not be possible from the hotels I am looking at, which were chosen as you know, in large part for their pools. I asked the Pandaw travel agent to get me some prices and will post back...

Sorry to be a hijacker..
May 30th, 2009, 03:58 PM

i think you will often find the suk. a bit out of the way for restaurants, although the metropolitan and banyon tree both have great restaurants and some other places along sathorn, including baan khanitha...

hanuman has a new favorite in that same area too, but i can't remember what it is?? thai kitchen?? a simple restaurant...
May 30th, 2009, 04:14 PM

Eks,

The Sukhothai is a nice hotel but like most hotels in Bangkok I have never stayed there only visited since I live in Bangkok. Between the Sukhothai and the Four Seasons you can't go wrong especially for their pools.

Bob,

Yes there's a nice restaurant near the Sukhothai/Banyan Tree area and it's call the "Secret Garden". Not too expensive and has very nice dining areas both indoor and outdoor(for the cooler months).