Bangkok Peninsula loyalists looking for other Bangkok hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have been extremely loyal to the Peninsula on our annual trips through Bangkok for a number of years. We really love this hotel, but the prices quoted over the holiday season this year are truly outrageous and so we are trying to find another Bangkok hotel that won't feel like a complete letdown after being spoiled by the Pen. We'd love suggestions (especially from those who may have stayed at the Peninsula and could make direct comparisons).

Since we have been to Bangkok a number of times we do not really spend time near Wat Pho or other sights West. We tend to spend a lot of our time on the SkyTrain and in the areas East of Silom. Given that, suggestions within walking distance of Skytrain would be great.

Friends have mentioned the Sukothai as a possible alternative to the Peninsula - any thoughts on that or any other top contenders would be so appreciated. It will be hard to leave the Pen, but (if we choose wisely with your help) we will be looking forward to a new experience. Thanks for any thoughts!

Old Nov 9th, 2008, 05:37 PM

I feel your pain, WinterTravel.

We were hoping so much to stay at the Pen again when we arrive in a few short weeks, but the rates were absolutely ridiculous, to say the least (compared to last year, which were still, even then, a bit rich for my taste.) It's funny--since I remember Kathie saying that bookings were down 50% this season at the major hotels--you'd think they'd be offering deals to attract customers.

We originally booked The Eugenia as our first backup (some folks love the decor, others not so much) but relented due to the price-to-location ratio. So we settled on Dream (Sukhumvit.) No Pen, for sure--but we're excited to try something different (and a different location) this year.

Sukhothai is supposedly gorgeous, but I hear the location isn't fantastic either (think tuk-tuk, not walking, to the closest SkyTrain station.)

Best of luck finding something!
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 05:45 PM

TRADERS!!!!

just kidding....this is true throughout thailand, the prices keep rising steeply..

suk. might be a possibility but it is sort of out of the way....the pool area is odd and just off the parking lot as i remember..

four seasons and hyatt are possibilities...

nei lert, the former hilton, is nice for a change....the rooms are quite nice and the garden area is large and somewhat tranquil...

shangri-la, of course, esp. the krun thrup wing, might meet your expectations...

conrad on wireless

sheraton grande...

there is a brand new meridien on suriwong which might work...i have not seen one word about it yet....

of course my marriott resort, while not as lux, offers a very nice stay on the wrong side of the river...

there are a couple of new hotels coming down on sukhumvit but i do not know the names or the dates for completion....

how about a total change: one of the more upscale serviced apartments: ascott has a few, marriott mayfair, centre point has other places other than the silom one...

good luck and i understand how you feel....
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 05:49 PM

i will beat guen to the punch and suggest emporium, on sukhumvit at soi 24, and their brand new property on the river about 1/2 way to the marriott on the shangri-la side of the river... this is a combo hotel and serviced apartment complex with 3 towers right on the river...
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 05:55 PM

If you are going in Dec/Jan you might look at the newest riverside hotel, the Chatrium. Google it - they are offering special rates for their opening.

The Sheraton Grander Sukhumvit gets great reviews.
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 06:01 PM

i believe that chat. is the emporium place on the river
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 06:13 PM

they have single rooms and one bedroom units for 5000 B or 5500 B per nite starting 12/20-08---special opening rate....that about $150....wow!!
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 06:29 PM

The new Le Meridian will not be open until January 2009.

I usually stay at the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit. Very nice pool (not a big pool though if that's what you need), nightly jazz (happy hour too) in The Living Room and a pretty lively bar (Bar Su) if you're into that. Access to the skytrain/subway is hard to beat too! And I was able to score a 5400Baht/night rate for 10 days (including New Years).
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 06:40 PM

Bob, yes, the Chatrium is the new place built by the Emporium people. For a riverside hotel at the height of peak season, it looks like an excellent price.
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 06:46 PM

i forgot to add the plaza anthanee....we had a wonderful one nite stay there last june...its very upscale and in a great location...can't wait to return
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 07:18 PM

... well, a fine Pen loyalist, desirous of a holiday deal ...

... just between us 'winter': next year, 'turn it up a notch' and stay at the Pen (or our other Bangkok honeymoon hotel, the Oriental) at least once a month for work/pleasure ... Reason: rather fine 'frequent' (and most certainly, unpublished) rates ... (would give you our 'suite' Oriental rate for our rather forthcoming 'Loy Krathong', but it would only make you (and others) weep) ...

... (don't know your lifestyle, but pre mrs. m, the Pen, Shangri-La, Four Seasons, Sukhothai, Sheraton Grande, Royal Orchid Sheraton, et. al. ... all delightfully 'friendly' ... (and, as for the Oriental ... well, let's just say the Peninsula's '98 arrival has brought about a bit of the change with the Dame ...) ...

... savour your joyous Thai times ... (perhaps, with that Singaporean airline) ...

macintosh (robert)

... "Did the Oriental make you mad again?!" ...

(precious front desk staff and friends, Peninsula Bangkok, September, 'late' 199__)

Old Nov 10th, 2008, 04:23 AM

The Pen is my favorite place, but I've also stayed at the IC, Sheraton Gr Sukhumvit, Royal Orch Sheraton, Westin, and Hyatt. Of those, the Hyatt would easily be my first choice.

The Hyatt is a very comfortable hotel with contemporary styling and excellent service. The spa and pool were completely renovated just a couple of years ago, and they are excellent. Far better than the ballyhooed Sheraton GS, in my estimation. The Hyatt's location is as good as it gets for non-river hotels: directly at the Skytrain (w/no stairs to climb), and directly connected to the walkway leading to Gaysorn.

The IC is nearly as well located (slightly less convenient for accessing the Skytrain), and the staff there are extremely accommodating. I find the rooms to be dated, though, and I don't recall their even having a spa. I won't go back to the Sheraton GS or Westin: just do not like the ugly streetscape that greets me when I walk outside the front door of either place.
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 04:32 AM

askOksena's posts are becoming increasingly lurid - ah, they make me laugh.

May I suggest, follow filmwill's advice and think 'boutique'. Lateral thinking - why try and beat the Pen? - just go sideways, there are adventures to be had.

And it doesn't ALWAYS have to be on the river. Sigh. Not that anybody will listen to me on that topic.
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 05:56 AM

The Penn is our favorite hotel in Bangkok but we've also stayed at the Shang (Krupthep Wing), Intercontinental, Plaza Athenee and the "O". Of these, the SL's Krupthep Wing comes the closest to the Penn's standards of excellence and with the free breakfasts and afternoon cocktails/hors d'oeuvres it is a better value. That said, nothing beats the Penn's breakfast outside by the river and its fabulous views of the city. Our Krupthep Wing room had a balcony which gave us nice views of the river activity and some fireworks one night. The Krupthep Wing is a very short walk to the skytrain.

I am guessing that the O's rates are comparable to the Penn's and since it has been endlessly debated on which is better I won't comment on that here.

I don't know how the Shang's holiday period rates compare to the Penn's but it is likely that the Intercontinental's and the Plaza Athenee's rates will be lower. We stayed on the executive floors of both of these hotels and they were fine, with good views and good service. The rooms were a step down in quality but certainly nice. Of the two I preferred the IC's location because the skytrain is closer - the skytrain entrance is practically right in front of the IC while it is a 5 minute walk from the PA.

Hope this helps. We intend to stay at the Penn again next April by the way...
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 06:49 AM

I stayed at the Four Seasons for years until I moved into my serviced apartment building (Emporium Suites) which I love. The Four Seasons has been my personal favorite hotel in Bangkok for many years. The skytrain(Rajadamri) is across the street. I've stayed at a lot of different hotels over a 10-year period including the Pen, Oriental, RO Sheraton, Metropolitan, etc...but if I had to go back to a hotel, I'd definitely go back to the Four Seasons. Happy Travels!
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Wow - many thanks everyone for all of the suggestions! We are extremely grateful for all of your replies. We had a look at rates for many of the hotels you all mentioned and they are definitely much more reasonable than the Pen. We are getting excited about the idea of trying a different hotel!

Special thanks for the suggestion of the Chatrium - since it does not even open until December we would not have had any idea that it existed. Given that we do love to see the river, this could be a great choice (especially given the promotional rates). We will keep you posted and let you know what we decide/how it goes. Thanks again everyone!
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 06:58 AM

Dogster...I'm one who has not been a "stay on the river" person. I did, however, stay on the river twice to try it out. But, then went back to Sukhumvit.
However, on my first trip to Bangkok, a decade ago, and before the skytrain, I very happily stayed at the Siam Intercontinental Hotel and for years. It's now the site of Paragon Shopping Mall so I had to move and thus moved into the Four Seasons. Happy Travels!
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 07:06 AM

Wintertravel...If you stay at the Chatrium, please report back. I'll be in BK Dec/Jan, but will have my apartment at Emporium Suites. I'll try to get over there though to check it out.

The Chatrium is WAY behind schedule in opening, over a year. I've been following its development for some times now as Chatrium is the name of the owner who owns Emporium Suites. So, there has been lots of talk of it over at Emporium Suites.

I was told, over a year ago, that I could be booked into the serviced apartment part of Chatrium for part of my 3-week stay, to try it out and give an opinion, and then they would give me my apartment back at Emporium Suites for the rest of my stay... as I don't really like staying on the river. Happy Travels!
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 07:49 AM

The Chatrium looks interesting. Location could be inconvenient for some. It is on the "right" side of the river but it looks like a fairly long trip on their shuttle boat to the Taksin skytrain station. The standard rooms are quite large - 60 square meters. Rack rates are extremely high and I can't seem to find it on any of the discount hotel web sites. The promotional price from 20 DEC to 15 JAN (2 night minimum) is excellent.
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 08:09 AM

craig..i'm guessing the boat ride might be about equal to the ROS boat ride

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -