Best Hole in the Wall...

Search

Best Hole in the Wall...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2005, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Hole in the Wall...

Where is the best hole in the wall sort of place to eat in Bangkok?

Thks
-D
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 04:37 PM

holle in the walll can mean a couple of things in BKK.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 07:02 PM

orgy---get out of nana!!!

for eating, i like harmonique, soi 34, new road near to the river and sheraton and shangri-la hotels...really weird set up, great food...
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 07:10 PM

There are way too many hole-in-the-wall places in Bangkok to pick just one. Especially keeping in mind that many of the best hole-in-the-wall places don't have any walls at all.

Near my place is a street which, for no discernable reason, is lines with small mostly open air restaurants. There's a very good 'modern Thai' place (the only one with air con), a fantastic som tam shop and even a place for steak. Which one is the best? Depends on what I'm in the mood for.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 08:36 PM

DavRan has absolutely no idea what he's saying, or a troll. A hole in the wall concept can apply to say... N.Y. or London or any other nicely developed western big city. But not in an under developed country, even in its capital city. You are asking for BIG TROUBLE. Least of all is you won't be able to communicate to the people at the restaurant, nor will you understand the menu. What an ignorant question! Example, Go to any bus stop, take it for 3 stops, take a transfer and then go for 2 more stops and you'll be SO LOST, but the nearest restaurant would be a hole in the wall. And you'd be scared witless.
Sheeesshh!
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 09:10 PM

coolcmdon. it seems you may have never been too banglkok or never bothered going to regular mom and pop resteraunt. just about every one I go too has a english language menue. each item has aq number as well, all you have too do is point at the number and your set.

Soi Rangnam, and chinatown. have some of the best hole in the wall places in town. and as mickel said many don't have front walls.

bobs harmonique falls into the catigory as well..

One thing that is a bit anoying about these places is the service it's bad. most of the staff are related and get paid verry litle if at all.

but the food is the wicked tastey.
----------------
RHK

I'd like too check HARm out but I rarely make it to the part of town. but atleast I know there is a "whole in the wall" resteraunt where I can grab a bite.
-----
RHK, Wink wink how did you know what I was taliking about. hmmmm actually those extra naughty whole in the walls are said to be in soi cowboy.. NA I've never bother checking too see if it's just an urban legen or what that whole thing is just sick.
--------
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 12:30 AM

Tried a nice little resto recently down Suk Soi 20, opposite Tamarind Cafe. It's called Thong Lee. The fried Hainan chicken was wicked!
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

I wonder if coolcamden travels. I have been to many places in the world and there are lots of hole in the wall places.."mom and pops"..have great food and friendly. It's a fact if you go to places that are frequented by tourist and mostly by tourists be prepared to pay more money.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

MichaelBKK where is your place? Do you know the street?
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 12:08 AM

Sorry for the late reply. Been traveling myself. I live in a little Bangkok backwater called "Town in Town" and the street I speak of is most commonly known by that name. There is no public transportation to speak of in my neighborhood, so I would't recommend trying to get there.

The street itself is typical of many you're likely to stumble across in Bangkok, so there's little point in trying to find this one specifically.
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 01:11 AM

I would not term Harmonique hole in the wall Bob. It is "cheap and cheerful" I'd say. There is a hole in the wall place at Asok station next to Villa 14. Mostly outdoor seating. Good food. Opposite Momentum furniture in SUkhumvit Soi 32 is a small restaurant where they do not speak much English so go with your phrasebook - amazing Thai food. These are NOT places to go to if you are worried about falling sick. DEF holes in the wall!
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 05:56 AM

ok maybe not exactly hole in the wall, but harmonique starts off small and grows as you go inside...it is very "local" in some ways...

michael....can you be more specific as to where your neighborhood is...taxis make transportation easy....some of us might like to try out this area...
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 06:16 AM

Guess there is a debate in my mind after reading for what the meaning of a whole in the wall is...for any New Yorkers out there I picture the Mars bar, kinda dirty, real locals, etc.

There are tons in Bangkok and although that place across from Tamarind so I have heard has good food it seems to nice to be a whole in the wall.

One place is across from my old school, doesn't even have a name but we called it Mama's. A real noodle shop, menus in Thai's where the bed is near the kitchen. Although I don't eat street food, I do eat here. Mama's is on Thanon or Soi Sap, in between Surawong and Si Phaya across from the Bisco Tower Bldg just down from the Russian Embassy.