Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Best destination for our short trip to southern Thailand?

Old Sep 11th, 2006, 08:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've spent hours sifting through all the information in the forum and still have not come to any conclusions.

We have just about 3 or 4 days to spend in a beach area in southern Thailand on our way from Bangkok to Malaysia.

While the more remote islands like Koh Tao look very appealing, I'm afraid we could spend too much of our limited time just getting to our destination.

Could you recommend a destination for us? Here's our "wish list":

1)fairly easily accessible to airport and train station (nothing that will take a half-day to reach)

2)on or near a long stretch of quiet beach

3)option of walking to other hotels or town (remote, but not isolated)

3)$100 or less per night

4)opportunities to snorkel nearby

We would be grateful for any suggestions!
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 08:31 PM

You could fly into Krabi Town and from there go to East or West Railey beach. From Railey you can do wonderful day trips with great snorkeling.

Some people like Ao Nang but I found it too touristy with lots of shops and tourist touts along the main drag. There are also so hotels directly on the beach, just a road paralleling the beach.

I haven't been to Ko Lanta but that also seems like a nice place to chill out.

We stayed at a cool place on Ko Phi Phi called To Koh Bungalows. Very remote but a little slice of heaven away from the maddening crowds.

You might want to check out www.travelfish.org for some great info on islands in Thailand.

Good luck with your planning!
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Eurotraveller! These sound like good options. Do you remember where the snorkeling day trips took you?
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 06:24 PM

euros destinations will all take over 1/2 day to get to i believe....

all the islands will take 1/2 day total to get to...

hua hin is about 3 hours max from bkk....but not deserted beaches....all levels of hotels...good food...tons to do in a small town way...
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 07:02 PM

Bob, bob, bob, keep in mind they are on their way from Bangkok to Malaysia. It doesn't make sense for them to go to Hua Hin if they are trying to find a place in the middle, does it?

Vayageuse, we went to "the beach" where the movie was filmed. there are numerous day trips from Ko Phi Phi and Railey. Look into a guide book and choose one that suites you. There are many islands in this area.

If you would like to see where we stayed you can go to www.windjammer.smugmug.com. I have an album dedicated to accomodations in Thailand and Cambodia.

Have a wonderful trip!
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 06:02 AM

Where are you headed in Malaysia after your short beach stay? I ask because Krabi doesn't have a lot of air connections... You can fly to Singapore on Tiger, but I'm not sure where you can fly to in Malaysia. I suppose you could get a driver to take you to the train station from either Krabi or Hua Hin...

Malaysia has some of the finest beaches in the world. You may be better off logistically choosing a beach in Malaysia instead. Tell us what time of the year you are going - the best beaches in Malayasia are on the east coast, but Nov - Dec is their monsoon season.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 06:12 AM

yes it does make sense to me but as they do not want to spend 1/2 day getting to a place....and they may have to go back to bkk to get to malaysia efficiently....
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help. To clarify, our main destination on this trip is Penang, in north Malaysia, where we'll be visiting my in-laws. We're flying United Airlines, so we either need to go through Bangkok or Singapore. Hoping to sneak in a few days of beach time before we visit the relatives in Penang. Kathie, I think you're right that there are not direct flight connections from Krabi (or Phuket for that matter) to Penang, so we were thinking of going by rail from Krabi to Penang. We have been to Langkawi before, but otherwise have not explored Malaysia's beaches. I have heard that the East Coast of Malaysia has beautiful beaches, but it may be a bit out of the way on this trip. Any other suggestions would be most welcome! We'll be traveling in February.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 07:59 AM

I'm going to Penang in November and was surprised that there weren't better air connections. From Bangkok, Thai Air has just one flight a day. I expect that Malaysian Air also does this route, but I wanted to fly Thai to get United miles. So you could go to a Thai beach, take the train on to Penang, then fly back to Bangkok (or on to Singapore) to catch your flight home.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 04:14 PM

If you are heading to Penang you can fly down to krabi area, or continue from there down to Koh Lanta. South from Koh Lanta you can take a boat from Satun to langkawi and from there a boat to Penang.

The alternative is to follow the rail line down, if your destination is penang the 'International Express' operates daily from Bangkok via Hua Hin and the east coast route down to Butterworth ( Penang ).

So Koh Tao makes sense especialy if you want to snorkel, you can train down to Chumphon and then take the Jet-Cat across to Koh Tao, return to Chumphon to pick up the 'International Express'.

That train leaves Bankok something around 2.45 pm and leaves Hua Hin station about 6.30 pm through to Penang, I think it probably calls near Chumphon about 10 pm ( or Surat Thani if you wanted to go to Koh Samui ) about 1 am, gets into penang just before midday local time ( Thai time + 1 hr )

If you boat back from Chumphon late afternooon ( last boat or last jet cat ) you can rest and shower a/con budget in Chumphon for about USD 12-15 for a room and then head to station late.

The train has 1st and 2nd class sleeper to the border but then you change to malaysia railways but their 2nd air con is good anyway.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 04:17 PM

Train information:
http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm#Singapore

Lomprayah shows you Koh Tao in relation to Hua Hin and Bangkok

http://www.lomprayah.com/E/route.htm

Old Sep 13th, 2006, 04:19 PM

You can't go by train from Krabi, you have to go across to the east coast around Surat to pick up the train, about 3.5 to 4 hours by road.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 04:20 PM

Just to confirm 'no flights' Krabi or Phuket to Langkawi or Penang, you can fly Phuket to KL and then fly back 'up' to Penang.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 04:28 PM

If you did not want a boat trip to Koh Tao other places you can snorkel and quiet beaches south of Hua Hin along the rail line are Koh Talu island resort near Bang Saphan ( for Koh Talu Island, about 15 mins speedboat trip, don't confuse 'Koh Talu' with 'Koh Tao' ! ) or the Chumphon Cabana which does snorkel trips, both these easy access to the rail line.

Koh Talu Island resort is 'ultra quiet' as a Thai resort on it's own island

:
http://www.r24.org/huahin.20m.com/hu...sland/details/

They do all in packages including accommodation, meals plus snorkelling & scuba diving equipment, trekking and kayaking & sailing trip free for a 3 day ( 2 night ) package deal, free boat transfer. It's not far from the local station but not sure if the express tops there, but it would stop at Chumphon not too far away.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

JamesA, thanks for all this information! I did not realize that the train did not go through Krabi. That is important to know. I will explore the links and reconsider our plans.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 09:58 PM

That train route is very popular and makes getting from the Gulf Coast / Sunrise Coast area down to Penang very easy, ok, it's not the Orient Express but quite ok ( makes a change not having baggage weight issues, airport stress etc ! )