Tahiti or Thailand--Which one?

Jan 28th, 2006, 03:21 AM
Original Poster

Tahiti or Thailand--Which one?

My husband and I are both teachers and live in NYC. We have traveled to many resort destination in the US, Europe and Caribbean.
We are now looking for something more unusual.
We are booked for a 10 day trip to Tahiti in July. The trip will be expensive but this is OK if it will be a dream vacation.
The question is-- I have been reading about Thailand and now think that a trip to Bangkok and maybe Phuket or Ko Saui in June may be more interesting. We can get FF awards with THAI air and use Marriott and Starwood points to book hotels. It will cost almost nothing.
I am asking anyone who has traveled to these destinations to give us some input.
What do you think? I am just afraid Tahiti may be very similiar to visiting the Caribbean.
What do you think?
I appreciate your help!
Jan 28th, 2006, 11:04 AM

We love Thailand; been there 4 times now, and can't wait to go back.

Bangkok is dirty, noisey, crowded, and facinating. Cheap cheap clothing, mostly brand name rip offs, probably shipped out the back door of the Nike or Reabok factory.

The people are great. Very friendly, and smile all the time while ripping you off. English is not widly spoken, but most vendors in the markets have a smattering, particulary when it comes to bargaining over prices.

Every taxi or Tuk tuk journey will go via either a huge jewelery store, or a hand craft market. Prices are good, but quality is unknown and variable. Be very careful if you are buying expensive jewlery, you could end up with junk.

Phuket and Phi Phi island are beautiful. Not sure how they have recovered from the tsumani, but from what I have heard they are returning to normal.

I would take Thailand over Tahiti any day. Tahiti is overpriced and French.
Jan 28th, 2006, 12:20 PM

Look into the differences in the weather in June in Thailand versus Tahiti
Jan 28th, 2006, 03:34 PM

i have been to both. the simple answer is that thailand is a much more complex destination with more to do in terms of historical sites, natural attractions, culture. it's an entire country.

tahiti is a lovely relaxing place to enjoy spectacular scenery.

please don;t think for a moment that the beaches are comparable. in thailand you will not ever get the colors and fish tabk feel you have in tahiti.

thailand is also quite far to travel for 10 days only. tahiti would be just right for such a short time- you can island hop and visit 1-2 islands (we did 3 in a week very rushed, but that was ok).

it is truly an apples and oranges comparision, all they have in common is that they both begin with "t."

if i were to go to thailand, i would not even consider it for less than 2 weeks if you are coming from ny. too far and too much to see.

as for the weather- i was in thiland every day last july: it will rain, torrentially at time, but there will be many horrendously hot days as well. also, the seas are rough for boat crossings to thai islands in july, if that is a consideration (you can fly, though).
Jan 28th, 2006, 08:36 PM

I have to agree, both countries are like apples and oranges. I went to Tahiti in summer 2005 (also work in the NYC school system) and to Thailand in August 2004. Tahiti is very chi-chi and expensive, but wonderful if you just want to relax at the pool or beach and read a book. There is almost nothing to do otherwise. I stayed at the Moorea Pearl Beach-food was fantastic, accommodations were really nice, people great. I rented a car one day and drove around the island, it's 37 miles. That was fun but took an afternoon. I also did a tour of the inner island which was fun but again, just a couple of hours. I didn't go to other islands except Tahiti itself and I found Papeete to be dirty and unsafe. I hear Bora Bora, Huahine, Raiatea, and the other islands are wonderful but there is nothing to do.

However, Thailand was totally different. It had much more bustle to it and felt like a huge cultural experience. I hated Bangkok-totally hot, dirty, and so many people and I live in midtown Manhattan! Yes, the shopping is great and cheap but a mall is a mall and I don't want to buy dirty jeans for $10 off the street! I would go there for a day and that's it. Phuket was also nothing special, but I was in Patong which also got highly damaged in the tsunami (a mere 4 months later). Patong was extremely crowded and noisy because there are shops lined up all down the road along the beach. I think Khao Laok and other areas are supposed to be much nicer (but Khao Laok was hardest hit).

HOWEVER, I adored Phi Phi. I stayed at the Holiday Inn which was on the other side of the island from the main village which was destroyed in the tsunami. Again, nothing to do but sit at the pool all day and read. I LOVED IT! I did take 2 boat tours which took us to Krabi and past Raleigh (maybe Railay) Beach (a hidden treasure) and one that took us to the other Phi Phi Island where The Beach was filmed. Other than that I just slept, read books, and ate. I think I took on average 5 naps a day and was so happy. I was devasted when the tsunami hit although the Holiday Inn, which was really nice and the service was great, did not get heavily destroyed at all. I smile when I think of Phi Phi because never has a place made me feel so relaxed and at peace.

Don't know much about Koh Samui but it did not get damaged in the tsunami and friends say it's great. Skip Phuket and see if you can also go to Krabi/Railay Beach. Accommodation is cheap.

Go to Thailand-why not when you can use miles and points because those might disappear one day when you least expect it! Have fun!
Jan 28th, 2006, 10:26 PM

Apart from Thailand being a a fabulous country with so much to do and see , a week there probably won't cost more than a day in Tahiti!
Jan 29th, 2006, 02:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the help.
We are leaning towards the Tahiti cruise for this year. We will begin planning a Thailand holiday for next year.
The only way that we can have two weeks vacation is in the summer months as we are both teachers. Do you think that June, July or August are poor times to visit Thailand?
Sorry for all the questions
WE appreciate your suggestions.

Jan 31st, 2006, 10:27 AM

I went to Thailand in August. It was scorching hot and that was their cool season! No rain in Bangkok, PP, and Phuket. Just HOTTTTTTT.....