Best Airline to Japan

Nov 2nd, 2005, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Best Airline to Japan

Hi, I've never flown to Japan and I'm wondering what the best airline is to use from New York. I'm looking for a non-stop flights only as it is a quick business trip. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Nov 2nd, 2005, 02:56 PM

Either Japan Air or ANA. Both are very good and fly nonstop from JFK. At all cost avoid US carriers.
Nov 2nd, 2005, 04:11 PM

What class?
Nov 3rd, 2005, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Hi, thanks for the responses. I'm looking into either business or economy class, business is preferable but extremely expensive (obviously), I'll do it if I can find something for $2,000 approx. Looking into Japan Air and ANA right now, thanks for the suggestions.
Nov 3rd, 2005, 07:45 PM

For $2,000, you can't get business class. However, what you can get is ANA's premium economy service on their JFK-NRT 777-300 service. Seating is 2-4-2, with more legroom and a legrest.
Nov 4th, 2005, 12:47 PM

I have had great luck traveling with American Airlines. I'm in Japan at least 2 times a year for the past 3 years. They use 777's and I have to say, there really is more room in coach if your going that route. They have non-stops from Chicago, and Dallas that I know of, I'm sure they have a couple from New York as well.

RS TECH
Nov 4th, 2005, 12:58 PM

RS_TECH - AA has removed "More Room Throughout Coach" on its 777. It's now back to standard industry pitch. So no advantage over other coach products.

They do fly from JFK.
Nov 5th, 2005, 07:55 AM

I flew ANA business class "Club ANA" to Tokyo last fall and it was fabulous. Great, comfortable 170 degree seats with down pillows, comforters and a knit kimono jacket to sleep in. Food was great and I slept for seven hours (a first in history for me). It cost 90,000 miles round trip--used AmEx points. Can't say enough about this airline. Everything was terrific.
Nov 5th, 2005, 09:29 AM

AFAIK, there are 4 airlines flying non-stops between the 2 cities, JAL, ANA, AA and UA.

If you choose business class and it will be expensive, choose either JAL or ANA.

If you decide on economy, then all 4 are about the same. My decision would be based on which one is the least expensive.

ANA and UA also have economy+ cabin. If you decide on that cabin, go with ANA. You have about 20% room between rows, the sitting is 2-4-2, as opposed to their regular economy 3-4-3, so the seats are wider. The service is still regular economy, but you do have more room and a better, more comfortable seat with footrest.
Nov 5th, 2005, 09:57 AM

Adding to what AAFF is saying:

Continental also flies this "market" but from EWR.

UA's Economy + is nothing but extra legroom. No difference in the seat or seat width, or service.

What is why I suggest ANA's premium economy. It's the only airline that has a true PE product.

[NW stopped flying JFK-NRT earlier this year, after flying that route for like gazillon years.]