Search

Bargaining Tips?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Jen
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bargaining Tips?

Hi all- going to Vietnam in May, and would love some tips from SE Asia experts. The one thing I have trouble with in this region is probably what many others consider a plus... haggling. It just makes me uncomfortable. Despite my best efforts displaying confidence in my price, I think my discomfort probably reads on my face too, which gives the vendor, taxi driver, etc. a leg up from the get-go. Don't get me wrong, I do it-- In Cambodia last year, I did ok. But by all reports, it seems that it's even more important to drive a hard bargain in Vietnam.

So, I'd like some baseline tips. My guidebook says to start at 30% of the stated price. Does that sound right? I always keep it very friendly, but I think I probably give in before I should. I want to get a fair price, but don't want to insult someone either. Any thoughts?
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 05:49 PM

You might find my blog post on bargaining helpful:
http://www.travelindependently.com/t...-of-bargaining
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 06:41 PM

30-40 and they will offer 90, then 45% for you and 80% for them... then 50 for you and finally agree on 55-60%....

and smile as much as you can with each offer.... btw, at the beginning only express mild interest in the product...

for taxis find out from your hotel an approx. price and stick to that or a little more...
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 07:46 PM

Ask all metered taxis to use the meter. Some places do not have metered taxis. Then as Bob says, I ask my hotel for price guidelines.
Old Mar 14th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Jen
Original Poster

Thanks guys. Very helpful. I think the bottom line is, it's the way things are done there, and I'm not going to insult anyone... if my price is too low, they won't accept it. No harm, no foul, right? I'm overthinking this.

Side note: Kathie, I like your blog. Bagan looks amazing!! Is that in Burma? Wow.
Old Mar 14th, 2010, 03:25 PM

It may be similar to bargaining in India. The trick is to LOOK comfortable doing it and like this is nothing new to you. Also, the merchants, etc will intentionally look insulted because they know Westerners will back off in most instances.

So put your game face on and look like a pro!
Old Mar 14th, 2010, 06:07 PM

From experience, as soon as you ask for an item, the vendors already add an generous amount to the original price, doubled or even tripled it. I often made it half or one-third down of the original price which I thought was the right one.

I believe you're going to insult no one and the folks seem to be happy doing business in that way.
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 07:02 AM

Yes, biggest thing is to look comfortable, act confident, and show interest, but make it clear that you don't need whatever item it is. Often walking away will get them to start dropping the price dramatically.

I wrote a post specifically on bargaining on my blog, and there is lots of other info about SE Asia as well: http://patrinadoestheglobe.blogspot....gotiating.html