Search

How Much Money to Take to Burma

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Much Money to Take to Burma

Hi Everyone,

Thanks again to everyone who offered advice to my previous queries.

We're leaving for Burma on 1st February, and haven't yet purchased our dollars. We know they need to be pristine and new, but are wondering how much we will need. We will be in Burma for 28 days.

Shan Yoma Travel are booking nearly all of our accomodation and all of our flights, so we will only need money for eating, 2 nights accomodation, getting to and fro airports to guest houses, plus a couple of bus journeys, and possibly a guide for a day or 2. We won't be eating at posh hotels (with the exception of cocktails at the Governer's Residence or The Strand in Yangon, hopefully!), preferring to use local cafes and eateries. We don't intend to balloon over Bagan, but will hire bikes to get around. We'll also need money for entrance fees and souvenirs, and trips at Inle Lake, etc.

Everything I've been reading seems to suggest that prices are rising in Burma. We are thinking about taking $600. Does this seem reasonable? Obviously, it would be hideous to run out of money, so we'd rather take more than less. Also, any advice on the breakdown of notes would be useful.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Sarah
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 07:17 AM

Tough question. Tell us all the palces you are going.

How many days will you be at Inle? I think we paid US$25 a day for our boat/boatman. $50+ for the day we went to Sankar. And if you plan to hire a car and driver to Kakku, figure another $50 for that. (I think I'm guessing a bit high since you don't want to run out of money!). Airport transfer from Heho is $30-40 (paid in kyat).

Mandalay airport to town is at least $30 (also in kyat). And you'll want a car and driver to the ancient cities, I'm guessing $40 a day, more for longer drives.

Bagan to town is 6000 kyat. Yangon to hotel is about $10, can be paid in dollars.

Entrance fees: Bagan $10, Inle ?$10, Sankar, $3, Kakku, $3, all per person.

Where are you from? If you are from a Euro zone country, you can now change Euros to kyats at the bank exchanges. You'll still need dollars for some things.

My goal in the US cash I take is to always have exact change for anything requiring US dollars.
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Hi Kathie, Thanks for your reply - it's really helpful.

After 2 nights in Yangon, we're heading to Bagan, making our own way to Kalaw, from where we are thinking of trekking to Inle, onto Kengtung (guide fees paid for in advance), back to Inle and then to Ngapali with a final 2 nights in Yangon. So we won't be going to Mandalay.

We're from England, so it's just as easy for us to take dollars as Euros.

It's a bit confusing trying to work out how much to change into Kyats when we arrive in Yangon. It seems from your experience that we will need to pay for entrance fees, Inle trips, etc in dollars. Is this correct?

Thanks again,

Sarah
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 08:11 AM

Sarah, it is confusing. And changes in the last few months make it even more confusing! All entrance fees must be paid in dollars (this is where you will use some small denomination bills). Boatmen at Inle will often take either, but I'd plan to pay them in kyat (I gave the dollar amount just for the purpose of estimating how much money total you'll need). All flights are paid for in dollars, but it looks like yours have already been paid. Traditionally all hotels/guesthouses have been paid for in dollars. This year, with the decline of the dollar, the lowest budget guesthouses are accepting/requesting payment in kyat.

Typically guides are paid in kyat, but the Pa-O guides you are required to have for locations in Pa-O country are paid in dollars.

I would expect eventually one would be able to exchange pounds for kyat, but not yet. You might look at the exchanges and see if any of them are posting rates for pounds.

Have a wonderful trip!
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again, Kathie, that's a great help.

I've been wanting to visit Burma for years (almost went in 1988 and cancelled flights in '95), so I'm really excited. Seems the country could be on the cusp of potentially great changes.

Will try to post a trip report on our return.

Sarah
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 08:40 AM

Please do post. Burma is changing rapidly right now. It's an exciting time to visit!
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 09:49 AM

We were there for 15 days and changed $800 into kyats. All our flights, hotels, drivers (except Bagan)and guides were already paid for. We used US$ for entry fees, purchases of art and textiles and a few other things that were priced in dollars. I must confess that I considerably over-tipped for much of the trip. It decreased as the money ran out! We had absolutely no problem in changing $$ in any of the 3 places that we used. If you have kyats left over. there are boxes in the departure lounges at Yangon for the Myanmar Red Cross.
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, glyntor. That's really helpful. Seems like me estimation of $600 was a little on the low side! It's very useful to know we can change money outside Yangon if we need to, although presumably at a lower rate.
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 10:51 AM

I should have mentioned how much we exchanged. For 15 days, with hotels, flights, and the long airport transfers paid ahead, we exchanged US$300 for the two of us. I don't remember how much we spent in US dollars.

You can exchange money outside of Yangon, but you get the best rates in Yangon. The exchange windows at the Bagan airport and the Mandalay airport give similar rates to Yangon. Outside of official exchanges, rates are lower, especially as you get farther from Yangon.
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Kathie. Perhaps our $600 for 28 days isn't too wide of the mark.
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 12:58 PM

If it were me, Sarah, and it isn't, I'd take more money simply because it isn't easy to get more money once you are there. You have a few more things to pay for than we did - two nights lodging, boats at Inle, bus tickets, etc.
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 01:06 PM

We ran out of money on our trip....but were fortunate to meet a friend who loaned us additional $$$. My recommendation is to figure out what you need AND DOUBLE IT! This way you will have plenty of money and won't be stressing out about running out on your trip (as we were).

We exchanged USD for Kyat in Yangon and Inle.... As previously mentioned --the best exchange rate is in Yangon. But you won't have any problem exchanging USD for Kyat in most places.

We ran out of money because I forgot to figure tips for drivers and guides in our calculations. I also didn't think about buying gifts and other things while we were traveling. All that does add up..... plus we found food more expensive than we anticipated.

Have a GREAT time....it is a glorious country
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 01:11 PM

that is only $21. per day... that seems very lean to me..
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. This is all really helpful!

We're thinking of taking $1000+ now. It would be dreadful to run out of money and we don't want to have to worry about affording things - that would really spoil the trip.
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 10:55 AM

good move
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 10:56 AM

I think that is wise.

Have a wonderful time.

(I was hoping Gail would respond to this thread as I remember her story about running out of money.)
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again. Getting really excited now!
Will endeavour to keep a journal and post a trip report & photos on my return.
BW
Sarah
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 11:37 AM

I would definitely take at least $1000. (we took more) I felt very safe carrying it in hidden travel gear on our person. I wore a zippered money/passport flat one under my arm (went around my shoulder) and my husband wore both a waistband and ankle wallet. Worked great. We needed money for tips for our guides, some food, some transport, and some fabulous souvenirs--including silk and cotton longyis and blouses, which I now wear and love. Also bought one great piece of original art that we hand-carried home. Love it over our fireplace. Be prepared. You can always bring home what you don't spend!
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Patty. I might need a larger pack as well as extra money!
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 06:59 PM

just got back tonight. Will post in a few days the costs of things that may help you. We found it more expensive than we thought, especially transportation costs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -