Bangkok tailor near Royal Orchid Sheraton

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2004, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be staying at the Royal Orchid Sheraton in December. I have done a search on the forum for tailors in Bangkok. However, we will be short on time and would like to see a tailor within walking distance (making it convenient to do fittings) of the Royal Orchid Sheraton for men's suits. We will be arriving Bangkok at noon on a Saturday. The plan would be to get measured that day. We will then spend one night at Bangkok, then off to see other parts of Thailand for two weeks, and then return to Bangkok for 4 nights at the end of our trip, which is when we would plan to do the fittings. Will that be enough time to have a men's suit/jacket/shirt made?

Also, I've read good things about Cotton House for ladie's clothing. Is Cotton House within walking distance to Royal Orchid Sheraton? If not, any recommendations for dressmakers nearby? Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 05:24 PM

cotton house is a 10-15 minute hot walk from the sheraton...it is just behind the oriental hotel...take a cab to the oriental...

there are a couple of tailors inside the sheraton and there are many tailors next door at river city shopping center...i have not used any of the men's tailors in river city....i can highly reccomend the tailor jack at monet il sarto...he is located in the mall attached to the marriott resort and spa....take a cab there in 20 minutes and get fitted....you will be very pleased....he has a sister site either at the sheraton or the shangri-la ...they are good at coming to your hotel for fittings after the initial selection at the shop...you need to go to the shop to see fabrics, etc...

his e-mail is: [email protected]

he will answer any questions you have and also tell you where the other shop is....i would go to him however....i have used him many times and so have other fodorites....tell him bob from boston sent you...

in river city my wife uses JS Thai silk on the ground floor...they do great work at reasonable prices...all products made on the site...they are opposite the info booth and up escalator at the sheraton end of the building...small shop...ask for ms yai
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Rhkkmk: Thanks for the info! I'll send Jack an email to see if we can setup an appt for the day we arrive.
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 08:19 AM

I had some slacks and shorts made at a tailor on the 2nd floor at River City -- the clothes were perfectly serviceable and reasonably-priced. Don't have the tailor's name handy, but it was the nicest-looking shop I found on that floor.

If you have the time to go to the tailor rhkkmk recommends highly, that would be my first suggestion. However, if you won't have enough time (you'll likely need at least one trip for the initial fitting and another trip for a 2nd fitting), you might consider the River City option.
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 10:09 AM

There is a tailor (maybe the one refeeerd to above) in River City, just as you come off the skybridge from the Royal Orchid, called Bauman's. My ex had a number of suits and shirts made there and they were fine.
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 06:02 PM

i wasn't going to say this but i think i will add it here....twice, on different trips, we went into tailor shops in river city---different shops...we had short conversations about their products in each shop (less than 5 minutes)...we then said we would think about it and return another day....the first guy started yelling at us and finally said--"don't ever come back to my shop..." the other guy on a subsequent trip, while not yelling at us was miserable and we left because of his attitude....we were offended by the first and annoyed by the second....i vowed i would never go to a tailor in that mall again for mens stuff....jack on the other hand welcomes questions and time to think about what you want to order--no pressure....so does js thai silk in river city....thats why we buy from both---other than that their quality and prices are excellent...
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 11:19 AM

Rhkkmk (and others)how much should we expect to pay for a man's suit? I know it depends on the fabric, style, etc. But what's the ballpark? I've strolled through previous streams, but can't find anything. My boyfriend is thinking of getting one (two?) made while we're there next Feb. Thanx
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 07:24 PM

i haven't had suits made but i have had sports jackets and blazers made...they have varried from $95 to $195 US....i have had pants made for $36....shirts are all over the ballpark but my guy usually has a special...i've paid $80 for 6 and in may he was $120 for 6.....

in any case they are all much cheaper than in the usa off the rack, never mind made to fit YOUR body.....

one warning....i find the wools not to be as nice as what we have in usa or in europe....i have taken wool with me in the past.... the wool says english on it but i am sure it is not...theri heavy weight is like our lite to medium weight...i have not seen lots of the speciality fabrics we can get suits made in, but that doesn't matter because i prefer the natural fibers...my favorite blazer is a heavy, heavy silk.....
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 06:15 AM

hi: has anyone had a shirt made here for someone else? I was going to have a shirt made for my dad, but, was wondering if they really need the "real person" to make a nice shirt.
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 01:28 PM

i have had shirts made for both of my sons in law....i took a sample shirt....we also made some measurements before we left....have the sleeves made slighly longer as i find they always shrink...bring a full size sample that they like...