Bangkok shopping

Search

Bangkok shopping

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2005, 01:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bangkok shopping

We have just one morning (Sunday) to go shopping in Bangkok for designer T-shirts, shorts etc. Could anybody recommend the best place to go. Somewhere convenient for the Peninsula preferably. Thanks.
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 02:16 AM

The two most upscale shopping centers in Bangkok are Emporium and Gaysorn. You can take the boat from Peninsula to the saphan Taksin Sky train and stop at Prom Phong for Emporium or Chitlom for Gaysorn.
I would try the Emporium for diversity of products and prices. Designer things are very expensive in Bangkok due to the taxes.
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 07:04 AM

i think i woujld start at gaysorn (all disigner stuff at high prices), move on up plenochit rd to siam center and the other adajacent mall and end up at MBK...they are all within about 1 mile of each other on the same road...

from the penn you could go over to river city shopping center just across the river, but i am not sure you will find too much ready made there...there is nothing by the penn except the jim thompson store in their lobby....the main JT store is an easy taxi ride from the penn if you take the boat across to their reception space on the other side of the river...they have great t shirts and upscale cothing including shorts...nothing cheap...a nice stop where you could have lunch too...
also the shops in back of the oriental hotel would be a nice place to look...
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 07:13 AM

MBK- by far the most interesting place to shop for a lot of things. If you onl;y go one place make it MBK. We found the department stores uninteresting.
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 07:33 AM

what brands are you looking for..
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. Where would be the best place to find cheaper clothes -names like FCUK, Ted Baker, Paul Smith?
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 05:53 AM

If you are looking for copy designer clothes, you might try the myriad of shops along the streets by the Shangri-La Hotel and the Oriental Hotel. You should be able to find Chanel T-shirts, etc (I know I have.) These hotels are across the river from the Penn, and the Penn’s shuttle boat will take you over to the pier by the Oriental Hotel. You can then explore the streets around there winding your way over to the Shang. Then take the Shang’s boat to the Oriental pier (about 50 yards) and then the Penn boat back to the Penn.

The night market in Patpong also usually has copy designer T-shirts and some clothes.

River City doesn’t have a lot of clothing stores, as I recall, but perhaps others know better. I go there for antique and repro furniture and shoes and bags.

You might want to buy a map called "Nancy Chandler's Guide to Bangkok" You can it buy it on the web from her website (Nancychandler.net), or your hotel may have a copy in their gift shop or bookshop. It has an index by subject and may show where you can by designer clothes and she may know outlets where you could get discount designer goods.

As noted above, genuine designer goods are not any cheaper in Thailand.

Old Mar 18th, 2005, 05:55 AM

don't know any of those names...i must really be out of the loop....do you mean fake designer or real ones?? real ones will be about the same price as at home probably....fake ones much much cheaper if you can find them...others will tell you where they may have seen them....street vendors are always a good place to look: along silom road in the patpong area...along sukhumvit rd from sois 2-23...nite market and weekend market and maybe at MBK
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 03:44 PM

In January they were in the midst of opening many new (designer) shops in what i think is called Erawan Place (?) Next to the shrine of the same name...

looks very pricey!
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 05:44 PM

erwan is not fakes, but the real thing...heavily into jewerly in that mall
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 09:44 PM

I would say Gaysorn for single brand designer outlets and some interesting local stuff then Central Chitlom - which can be reached via walkway from Gaysorn and is IMO the best department store in Bkk. Same BTS stop for both, Chitlom.
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 08:00 PM

I would agree that Central ChitLom is a top notch department store. But you might want to also go to Siam Discovery and Siam Center to look for the brands you have named. Or try the Central World Plaza mall perhaps. BKK has soooooo many places to shop. It's hard to pick just one or two places to go.
Carol

(MBK is awesome! It is where a lot of the Thai people do their shopping)
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 03:23 PM

My 8 year old is home sick today and wants to answer. we just returned from a swim meet in Bangkok and also had just one day free to shop.
Christie says: M.B.K is a good place to shop because it has everything you could possibly want, it has Paul Frank Von Dutch and other knock offs. chit lom has lots of cool stuff there. you can bargain for a good price and has great shoes there and thai tourists nick nacks.

I echo chrisite's comments, but mainly because MBK is air-conditioned, right off the sky train, and you can get a foot massage as well! The market near chit Lom had nice designer (fake) bags, but at double what they cost here in Beijing.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 05:22 PM

as far as fcuk there has been a sale on this brand at TOKYU department store (in MBK)for a while now..
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 06:46 PM

orgy...did you buy some and wear it with your mirror handy??