Bangkok Peninsula room type question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2005, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking to stay at the Peninsula hotel in Bangkok and are trying to decide if $13 more for a Grand Deluxe room or $25 more for a Balcony room is really worth it. I have read some mixed reviews about the balcony rooms and wanted to get some other opinions. We are only staying one night.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old Mar 16th, 2005, 10:39 AM

Forget the balcony, go for the Grand Deluxe. The view is better with the grand deluxe and you won't be spending any time on the balcony given the heat and humidity of bangkok. Also you will need to go out on the balcony to really see everything- not worth the money and you actually get less value in my opinion.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 11:57 AM

It's too hot to deal with a balcony in Bangkok plus everytime you open the balcony door the heat is going to come into the room and warm up the room. When I was at the Pen in Aug 2004, I had a standard room...no balcony. Happy Travels!
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 02:24 PM

The difference between the deluxe and grand deluxe is the floor they are on...the grand deluxe are on higher floors. If I remember correctly, the grands start on floor 11. Other than floor, the two rooms are identical. With the prices being so similar, I would say its up to personal preference....if you think you'd enjoy having a balcony, then go for it. Even without a balcony, though, the windows in the rooms are floor to ceiling and give you a great view of the river. I actually prefer being on the lower floors for the view...the higher you go, the less of the river traffic you can actually see.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 06:25 PM

i have stayed in the grand deluxe rooms only on each of our stays, except for the first time when we were in a regular room on almost the top floor and this room was the best we ever had....i think availability at check-in often governs what you get within guide-lines....as part of my reservation i would request the highest floor...you will love the floor to ceiling windows as you look out at the river and city...its fantastic....the balcony would ruin this feast....i love to awake in the AN and push the bedside button to open each set of drapes to reveal the most magnificent view of bkk and the river....in each of our rooms, you need not even get out of bed for this lovely look....

i would go for the regular room...
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 07:04 PM

We've stayed at the Peninsula several times and definitely agree that a balcony room is not worth it given the heat and humidity and the fact that the view is so nice from the windows. Leave time in the morning for the buffet breakfast -- it is the BEST in the world!! Have a great trip...
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 07:46 PM

if you have an early morning flight they will serve you a wonderful breakfast in your room....the table is heated to keep things warm...all what you would expect, however...

try the thai restaurant which is out nearest to the pool area...make a reservation and ask for a pavillion table....fixed price meals for 2 available...al fresco....closed if rainy however...
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 09:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the all the advice. It sounds pretty solid that the balcony is not the way to go. I think we will splurge the $13 and go for the Grand Deluxe.

Thanks again for all of your help!! We are so excited we can barely stand it!
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 08:18 PM

Just wanted to add our agreement regarding the Thai restaurant at the Peninsula -- fabulous food and very nice setting by the river at night. Definitely try one of the set menus -- it will cause you to try things you might never have dreamed of (several of which became our new favorites!).
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 10:52 PM
Original Poster

great advice! We have been going to local Thai places and trying new things beside our ol' reliable pad thai noodles and yellow curry chicken?!?!

We leave in 6 days...can't wait!
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 01:47 PM

mom---make sure you post all about your trip so we will see how you did...have fun!!!!
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 07:33 PM

I've stayed in both a regular room and a balcony room at the Penn. In my opinion, the regular room seemed larger. The balcony room did NOT have the great views of the regular room because the balcony rooms are located in the center of the building and that causes the view to be a little less desirable than the other regular rooms.

Have a great time on your trip. BKK is a fabulous destination!
Carol
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 07:35 PM

Forgot to add that I love the TV set in the bathroom that is recessed into the wall over the tub so you can sit and soak and watch a movie!!!
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 02:03 PM

Another bathtub tip ... it is the place to go if your spouse is not as jetlagged as you are and you find yourself wide awake in the middle of the night not wanting to turn the lights on to read. I took my pillows and lined the tub, stretched out (it is a big tub) and watched TV in the fab bathroom, never disturbing my better half!
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 07:06 PM

winter, you are a genius....the lighting with low level nite lites is fabulous for getting around also...
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 09:40 PM
Original Poster

We will definitly post all about the trip when we get back. It still seems a bit sureal and like it isn't REALLY going to happen...but it is!!

Winter- great tip about the movie in the tub. When I was a kid my family (3 kids and two adults) when to Europe. One night in the hotel they didn't have a rollaway and my youngest sister had to sleep in the tub (lined with pillows). The facet leaked in the middle of the night and she woke up soaked! It think she would have liked the TV idea you shared.

Thanks again to all who have helped plan this trip. Your advice has been invauable!