Two questions about booking at the Peninsula, Bangkok

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2009, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Bangkok for 3 nights/4 days as part of a 2 week trip in Thailand next August. It is a wedding and honey moon trip( we are getting married at the Anantara Golden Triangle, then spending a week in Samui.)
I have decided on the Peninsula and chosen a balcony room. How are the balcony rooms and would you recommend them or something else? Right now, I am getting the same prices on the Peninsula website as the booking agent websites. Are there any advantages or disadvantages to booking directly through the Peninsula?
Old Nov 15th, 2009, 06:11 AM

Most on this forum say no to a balcony room and go for the Grand Deluxe room instead. In August it will be hot and humid - you are unlikely to enjoy sitting outside. Also, the balcony railing blocks the view from inside the room.

Until I came across asiareservations.net on this board, there were no bargains to be found for Peninsula reservations. That being said, other than the potential higher price, there is no disadvantage to booking direct. If you are booking direct for 3 nights, ask about the promotion that includes a discounted rate and free breakfast.
Old Nov 15th, 2009, 08:51 AM

Personally i would ALWAYS book a balcony room, i LOVE to sit outside and watch the river traffic and hear the noises, to me it's part of the reason i stay on the river when in Bangkok.
If you can spring for the costs go for it.
also try whatahotel.com they have better rates which sometimes include breakfast.
Old Nov 15th, 2009, 02:53 PM
cwn

We were there in March for two stays. I didn't book a balcony...they are in the middle of each floor and the building has sort of a "v" shape with the ends close to the river and the point set back from the river thus blocking wide view of the river, except for the part directly in the front of the building. For us the heat and humidity in Bangkok is a little much to sit out on the balcony, though the pool area is great for lounging.

We had two different rooms and by far my favorite was the room on the end of the building closest to the Grand Palace. We were on the 33rd floor and had a fabulous wide wrap around view to the front and toward the Grand Palace...pretty at night all lighted up. The other room was on the 32nd floor and was closer to the center of the hotel, but the way the window points outward we had a wide view also...just not from the bed area. These are both great rooms.

If you want to see pictures of the two different rooms and the views, go to our trip blog and click on March posts.

www.aroundtheworldin132days.blogspot.com
Old Nov 16th, 2009, 10:53 AM
cwn

Make that link...

www.aroundtheworldin132days.blogspot.com/

This one works, sorry I forgot the "/"
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 03:38 AM
Original Poster

I am usually a balcony person, but I guess this may be the time to skip it. The Peninsula rooms look gorgeous-I don't think we can go wrong.
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 05:58 AM

I agree about not booking the balcony room. It has to do with the view, not the hot air outside. We have booked both deluxe and balcony rooms in the past. The view from the balcony room is definitely blocked because of the shape of the building. The deluxe rooms have much better views of the river traffic.
Carol