Reload this Page >

Peninsula Bangkok

Search

Peninsula Bangkok

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 06:56 PM
budg

Peninsula Bangkok

For those whom have stayed here, which are the better rooms? Is it worth the extra $ for the deluxe suite? From the higher floors do you have better view & also if you get a lower floor, will the view still be as nice? Thx.

Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ask for a high floor when you check in...the last time i asked for high floor and facing the grand palace, which they gave to me....i have never had a suite...the rooms are so large that they seem like suites....i usually take the level 2 room...grand deluxe king...the next time i am going to just take a regular room...they are probably on lower floors??, but it really doesn't matter...the view is the best from slightly more to the front corners of the hotel where you can look up or down the river, imo....
look at their packages and take one of them..sky train pass, tea, limo one way, breakfast, etc...i paid $170 last november and it is now $140....

a suite would probably blow you away
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 07:37 PM
budg

Thanks! I will ask for a high floor on check-in and take your advice about the view of the grand palace.

Thanks again.

Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 08:09 PM

i also like the view down the river as well, so don't be disappointed with one over the other....

have tea in the lobby---you will think you are in london....

we love to have our hair cut at the pen...great scalp massage...

jesters is a very good restaurant but very expensive....

watch for a thai wedding near the river if you are at the pen on a weekend...its fabulous...
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 07:13 AM

I've stayed in one of the regular rooms and had a fabulous view, from the 33rd floor. You could see up and down the river. I have also had a balcony room. I like having the balcony because it's nice to step outside and take in the view. However, the view is a little bit limited because, if you look at a photo of the hotel, the balcony rooms are recessed in the center of the building. The regular rooms are wonderful in size and the floor to ceiling windows are wonderful! Our balcony room was a bit smaller.
LOVE the tv in the bathtub!!! (recessed in the wall, that is)
Peninsula is my absolute favorite in BKK.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 08:42 AM

SimpsonC510,
I don't know when you were there last, but did you have a chance to check-out The Conrad Hilton? It just opened in January, so it's hard to find any reviews just yet. I will stay there for the first 3 nights next month and follow up with 3 nights at the Pen . Just curious as to any info on the Conrad.
Thanks.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 08:47 AM

I was just in BKK in June. Yes, we checked out the Conrad because they were offering a special room rate. We were curious. By the time we got there to ask, they had filled the "special rate" rooms! We did think the lobby was very impressive though. The location is across the street from the US Embassy and adjacent to a brand new shopping complex which was nice. Try eating a burger at the GARAGE. Yummy!! It's on the second floor (I think)of the shopping center, which is called All Seasons Place. There were very few people in the shopping center when we were there. The location is just a little too far from the sky train to make it easily accessible. There is, however, a shuttle that runs from the sky train station down to the Conrad and All Seasons. The walk from sky train isn't that bad, but remember that BKK is really HOT and HUMID.
Have a great time in BKK. Any other questions about hotels/shopping/etc. feel free to email me.
[email protected]
(I'm Carol)
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 10:09 AM
budg

I hear that the Conrad is really nice with very large rooms and their new bathrooms have a glass wall that looks into the room (you can see through or close the drapes), rain shower-head in the shower and free standing tub. Other than that, I haven't heard any other reviews. We were considering this hotel, but for our first time in BKK, isn't it better to be on the river? Let me know please!

Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 12:06 PM
sandi

Budg -

If you're all that interested in the view on the river, be aware that the river is muddy brown (forget pretty bue and aqua). And as I've found and most will agree, most cities look much better at night when the lights are on.

If you want to see the Grand Palace, ask for a room on the northern side of building looking "up river". If I recall there is nothing next to the hotel on that side of building to block your view.

As far as high or lower floor - personally I never do high as a safety measure - fire engine ladders only extend to the 8th floor, so I'm never higher than that. It's low/high enough to walk up or down as well (if elevators go out or in an emergency).

I did notice for the hotel floor plan that most floors have a combination of standard Jr. Suites, Deluxe and whatever is better than that (2-bedroom maybe).

Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 01:37 PM
budg

sandi, thanks for the input. Actually I am fully aware that water is muddy brown and not all that nice to look at, as most rivers through major cities are, but what I had been told is that being on the river is the most accessible place to stay. As for high floors, I am certain you are right, but if it is my time to go, then it will be. I had never had that fear until you brought it up. Not the way I like to travel really. I guess if you have a fear of that, then flying or driving would bring up same fears, etc. Thanks for the info, all this feedback is great!

Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 01:55 PM

Keep in mind that the major shopping and dining complexes are not that close to the Chao Phraya River. The "best" location, hotelwise, that I've found, IMO, is Le Royal Meridien, which is located right at Chidlom skytrain station, and is adjacent to Gaysorn Plaza (shopping) and just a block from the World Trade Center (also shopping). From my own experience, even though my favorite hotel the Peninsula and I love being on the river, most of the things I want to do are along the skytrain route! Yes, the skytrain ends at the river and you can get a hotel shuttle across the river to the Peninsula or the Oriental or Shangri-La. I used up a lot more skytrain tickets while staying in those locations than if I stayed at Le Royal Meridien and walked to a lot of my destinations. Just my own opinion...
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 07:02 PM

with the sky train and looads of taxis, at cheap prices, the only place to stay is on the river and preferably at the peninsula or the marriott....IM, not so humble, O..... you only see the brown of the river when close to it....what floats in it and its movement is what is facinating to me....

nithing in bkk holds a candle to the peninsula, except the old oriental in a duluxe suite....

good point above about the balcony suites...i'm sure it is true...you do not need to be outside with the large clean windows to look out from....we sometimes turn out our lites and have a drink watching the sparkles and activity at nite from our room...
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 08:18 PM
budg

Great input and feedback. Truly appreciated. Just one more question, has anyone stayed at the Banyan Tree in Bangkok? This was another choice we had in mind for the "relaxation" aspect of the trip. Any thoughts?

Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 09:18 PM

FYI ... I was looking on the Le
Meridien website to look into the BKK location and it is no longer run by Le Meridien. Not sure who is running that property yet, but thought I'd pass along the info.
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 01:54 AM

staying close too the river is cool if your into it.. but it sure isn't close too much of anything... yes taxies are fairly cheep but trafic is mind numbing and these guys can smell a rich falang for miles and try too give you run and fare you don't want...
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 04:27 AM

When I was in BKK in June, they were talking about the Royal Meridien changing names. It is now the Intercontinental. I just didn't realize the change over would happen this soon or I would have mentioned it in my original post about that hotel! Everything else is to remain the same.. same personnel, same great service, etc. just a new name.
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 05:00 AM
sandi

Budg -

No fear of driving or flying - just high floors and cruises (too much H2o out there for me).

The River Hotels would seems to be the most ideal, but actually they are at greater distance from most sites. Even our driver/guide were delayed getting over the bridge one morning to pick up up, so driver waited at Oriental Pier and guide came across of ferry to pick us up from Pen - then across the ferry we went to meet driver.

Luckily, except for the one morning above, we either misses major traffic or there just wasn't any during our four day stay.

Enjoy your trip whatever you decide.

Old Jul 24th, 2003, 05:34 AM
budg

OK, now I am really confused. I had been told by others that have visited BKK to stay on the river, bec/ it is close to everything.

I understand the PEN has great views bec/ it looks over river to the city. But if it is not convenient and we will only be there for 2 days, are the Conrad or the Banyan Tree better choices? I have been give good rates at both.

We will most likely be taking a private tour (since we only have limited time there) at off peak hours - if that actually exists....

Thanks again!

Old Jul 24th, 2003, 05:44 AM

I believe that the majority of people on this site will tell you to stay on the river, myself included. Don't know what you mean by tour in the "off peak" hours; I guess you mean you may be driving to places like the Grand Palace in off peak hours, hopefully it is at a time when the Grand Palace is open.

It is kind of hard to see Bangkok by car, IMO. Early in the morning is a good time by car. In my experience trying to get someplace like Jim Thompson's house after about 2 pm is not possible. In addition, most of the places you want to see like the Grand Palace, Wat Po, Temple of the Dawn, National Museum, Royal Barges, etc are on or easily accessible via the river. Also, one of the main things to do is take a trip ON the river to see the city, and go into the klongs (canals) off the river to see houses, temples, markets, etc.

You can arrange for a guide to bring you by longtail boat to all the places mentioned above. The Penn can help you arrange this. You will save a good deal of time this way. It is also a lot of fun to zip around in these speedy boats. You can also take the public riverboats from the main pier at the Oriental Hotel.

Having been in Bangkok literally dozens of times on business and pleasure, the river really is the best place to stay. You can take the free hotel shuttle boats to the Skytrain stop, as well as the river boat stop and up to the River City Shopping Complex, a great place for art, antiques and souvenirs.

The Banyan Tree is a very nice hotel, but it is right on a main road, and is not convenient, IMO, for tourists. The Penn is also, IMO, a better hotel. The limited views from the Banyan Tree are mainly the buildings next store. There is not much in the neighbourhood in terms of sights, you have to take a cab as soon as you walk out the door. The neighbourhood across the street from the Penn (between the Oriental and the Shangri-La) has some of the best shopping in Bangkok, IMO and some interesting houses and a convent. Stay at the Penn on the river!
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 05:48 AM
budg

Thanks, it looks like it is the Pen!

I appreciate everyone's input. We are only in BKK on a layover and want to make the most of it, for our first time.

Thanks again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -