Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Bangkok questions...1)Hotels, 2)jewellery

Jul 12th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Hi everyone!
We will be in Bangkok for the first two days and last 2 days on our upcoming trip to Thailand. I think at the beginning of the trip we would want to do more sightseeing (grand palace, wats etc.) and at the end focus on shopping. For the last two days we are thinking of the Novotel on Siam Square. For the first two days, I am looking for suggestions. Truthfully, I am leaning towards stgaying at the Novotel twice simply because of the price and location. I really like the idea of being close to the skytrain. Anyway, if any of you king or queen of Bangkok types have any suggestions, I'm open. Like 3 to 4 star places usually. Willing to splurge though.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions on places to acquire wholesale jewellery? I am Looking for semi precious stones, sterling silver and fashion costume jewellery. Would be buying substantial lot for a small side retail operation I own. A place that offers shipping/custom services would be great but not mandatory as I can arrange that myself. The Thai export program gave me a list of places to visit but I am also interested in what suggestions people on this board might have.

Kathie, you mentioned a place on this board for jewellery...does the place you deal with work with large orders? Thanks again!
Jul 12th, 2005, 12:39 PM

I think that if you are a first-timer that staying on the river is mandatory. I am sure you will get many opinions on which is best, especially if you are willing to splurge for a couple of nights.
Jul 12th, 2005, 12:41 PM

Yes, SJ International does large orders. Indeed, on one of my trips many years ago I ran into a woman at the money changers (back in the days before ATMs in Bangkok) who was buying jewelry for resale and her jeweler was also SJ!

That said, they really don't do costume jewelry. They do precious and semi-precious stones (note that the best deals are on sapphires and rubies) and they do custom gold work as well as ready-made jewelry. I don't think they do much silver, but you can certainly ask.
Jul 12th, 2005, 12:52 PM

Orangeboy-- If you're going to Chiang Mai there are a lot of places where you can buy silver jewelry as well as costume jewelry. Read Nancy Chndler's map and Pleasures and Treasures of Thailand. You can also look at the night market for costume stuff.

In Bangkok, Lin near the Oriental Hotel has a lot of good silver jewelry.

L'Amour in Oriental Place does very creative work with only semi precious stones both custom and ready made. All her stuff is one of a kind essentially and she does great work. But I don't know if she'd sell for resale. However,you can always ask. She's a lovely woman. Her stuff isn't cheap but it's quality. The majority of her clients are Thai and embassy people.
Jul 12th, 2005, 01:33 PM

I am a jewelry artist and I would love to know where I can purchase some silver beads of good quality while I am in Thailand next year.

James gave me one suggestion via email but I would like more.

Thanks!
Jul 12th, 2005, 06:36 PM

lim silversmiths are excellent...they have 3 shops i believe all behind the oriental hotel...that general area and especially out on new road is loaded with silver places...

gems...there is a large group of companies in the lower silom road area that sell gems...in the area of the holiday inn silom....you will see their signs in that area...

silver beads....gifted hands on soi 23 sukhumvit makes things out of beads and she might put you in touch with vendors or might sell directly to you...

are you aware that you will be quite tired during your first two days in bkk....the trip takes a lot out of most of us...don't do the major sightseeing on day 1....you can cram some into day 2 and at the end of your trip...

major sights:

grand palace
war arun
jim thompson house.
v-mark palace
klong tour
if you do these you will have accomplished something...
Jul 12th, 2005, 06:36 PM

lim silversmiths are excellent...they have 3 shops i believe all behind the oriental hotel...that general area and especially out on new road is loaded with silver places...

gems...there is a large group of companies in the lower silom road area that sell gems...in the area of the holiday inn silom....you will see their signs in that area...

silver beads....gifted hands on soi 23 sukhumvit makes things out of beads and she might put you in touch with vendors or might sell directly to you...

are you aware that you will be quite tired during your first two days in bkk....the trip takes a lot out of most of us...don't do the major sightseeing on day 1....you can cram some into day 2 and at the end of your trip...

major sights:

grand palace
war arun
jim thompson house.
v-mark palace
klong tour
if you do these you will have accomplished something...

i guess i should add wat pho also
Jul 12th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. We actually have 2.5 days off the start (noon arrival) The first half day/night is slated for recovery/relaxation...then we will begin to tour for the next two full days.

I am still torn about where to stay the first three nights. The Sha-la is on a BTS route but I have heard mixed reviews...not worth the price? The Sheraton might be too far from public transit? With only 2 days, we need a great location...close and easy access to everything. Which of all riverside hotels is the most accessible to everything and transit? (want to avoid cabs unless truly necessary) Still wondering if Siam Sq. location might be best for both legs of the trip.
Jul 12th, 2005, 07:10 PM

Shangrila is probably the river hotel that is best located for your needs. I think they often have some very good prices -- others would know how to look for them. I love staying on the river and always tell people that it's a must.
Jul 12th, 2005, 07:14 PM

I don't know if any of you will find this suitable but over the years I had reason to contact a young woman in Bangkok whose family run a silverware business - beads etc made by the Karin tribes in the north. You could look at there website to get an idea. www.shiana.com This is directed at selling over the net but I'm sure that it must be possible to visit them in BKK and see what they have in real life. The lass is called Pam Thien
Jul 12th, 2005, 07:47 PM

why avaid taxis...they are so cheap and often can be fast...depends on traffic...the skytrain in conjunction with taxis are the best deal...

the shangri-la is the best...there is nothing wrong with this hotel that i know of except that it is spread out...it is directly next to the skytain terminus...also boat piers are right there...

sheraton is the least accessible...oriental next, although they have a boat to skytrain...peninsula and marriott are also good...marriott is the cheapest and my favorite actually...

i do not see any benefit to siam sq hotels...the area is not the best really...not as many restaurants there either...

depends on what you want...and what price...

the new holiday inn on plenochit is very nice and the older one on silom is decent....the jw marriott and the intercontinental are good and well located as is the landmark and the westin and sheraton grande...all are quite close to the skytrain...
Jul 12th, 2005, 10:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.

rhkkmk: What do you mean when you say siam sq isn't the best area? Is it seedy? Unsafe to walk around at night? Please advise.
Regarding taxis: We will use them when necessary. We are just really big believers in public transportation and when at home or away, we try to use it if at all possible...I know, I know...kind of eccentric. Besides, have been stuck in traffic too often and I understand Bangkok can be bad too...would like to avoid that headache if at all possible!

cheers.
Jul 13th, 2005, 07:11 AM

not a bad area or dangereous...just not very interesting and after the shops close it is dead...it would be about the last area i would choose to stay in...

the river, sukhumvit, wireless and silom areas all provide much more tourist friendly venues...

have you looked at the chateau de bangkok---great location
Jul 13th, 2005, 10:51 AM

Siam Square area is a great place to stay if shopping is your main agenda (after seeing the main tourist attractions). You have the famous MBK shopping mall, Siam Center, Siam Discovery and by year end the huge Siam Paragon complex that is scheduled to open in December. A little further east (within walking distance or a skytrain station stop) is the Central World Plaza, Central Department store, Gaysorn Plaza, Amarin Plaza and Narayana Phand Pavilion. Both the Novotel Siam and the Pathumwan Princess are good mid range hotels.