Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Bangkok / Phuket as a stopover destination?

Feb 25th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Hi everyone

We are trying to decide on a stopover destination on the way home to Australia from the UK. Bangkok and Phuket would be a new experience for us and we are wondering if these places would work well as a stopover destination.. hopefully as a place to relax a little, as well as see some sights! We would have around 3 nights as a stopover.. of this makes a difference to where we choose. We aren't looking at HK or SIngapore at ths stage as we have been there before.

Any thoughts appreciated!!

Cathy
Feb 25th, 2010, 03:47 PM

Bangkok is a magical city. If you get a nice hotel on the river, you will be able to relax and see some wonderful sights. Phuket is a very nice beach, but it's just a beach with the western tourist in mind. I would stopover in BKK.
Feb 25th, 2010, 03:55 PM

The time of the year should also be a determining factor if you're considering Phuket. Watch out for the monsoon months but apart from that you could do a 1 night in Bangkok and 2 nights in Phuket stopover. A bit rush but do-able.

If you're coming during the monsoon period I would stick to Bangkok only.
Feb 25th, 2010, 09:05 PM

phuket would require another flight probably and with only 3 days i would stay in bkk....

get a hotel with a fantastic pool and you will feel like you are at the beach... marriott resort and spa-- shangri-la---sheraton orchid---4 seasons--nei lert to name a few
Feb 26th, 2010, 03:52 PM

Ah, our travel agent gate1 is back (I thought you go banned for advertising?) with odd recommendations. Wat Phow? I'll assume you mean Wat Po or sometimes spelled Pho. The Grand Palace and Temple of the Emerald Buddha (Wat Phra Kaeo) are must sees, as is Wat Po.

The Floating Market? Hardly a must-see. Most people refer to it as a tourist-trap.

And no mention of the Jim Thompson House? a klong tour?
Feb 26th, 2010, 06:43 PM

I thought gate1 was banned as well. Smart isn't it by using the name of your travel company as a user name to indirectly advertise yourself. All pretty ignorant advice, typical tour book type so far with several references to another tripadvisor most of the time.
Feb 26th, 2010, 07:21 PM

I agree with the idea of spending your time in Bangkok. If it is your first time there, yes, a hotel along the river would be a nice, relaxing option for you.
Feb 26th, 2010, 10:35 PM

Even though I'm much more of a beach bum than a city lover, I too would say that Bangkok should be your choice for a three day stopover.
Having recently stayed at Krungthep wing at Shangri-La, with a balcony overlooking the river, if your budget can manage it, that's my recommendation.
A fabulous hotel and a fantastic location.