Bangkok or Phuket?

Search

Bangkok or Phuket?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2012, 03:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bangkok or Phuket?

I imagine it's entirely apples and oranges, and kind of a stupid question, nevertheless...

I am an American male, 55 years old, traveling solo to Hong Kong in mid to late October for a trade show, and am considering a short trip to Thailand for 2-4 days. I'm not really a sight seer or museum goer, more into walking around, sitting at a cafe or bar, exploring holes in the walls...

I suppose my question is similar to... " I'm traveling from Asia, should I spend 3 days in Manhattan or 3 days at Cape Cod?" or something to that effect.

Or maybe here's a better question, is it worth flying from Hong Kong to either Bangkok or Phuket for only 2 days??

Like I said, I gather the answers depend mostly on my interests, but any insight is appreciated, regardless...

Also, should I fly back from Thailand to New York, or better to fly back to Hong Kong and then back to New York?
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 03:48 AM

For 2 to 4 days in Oct definitely Bangkok!
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 07:03 AM

Agree.... Bangkok for sure!
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 07:09 AM

Bangkok. October weather at Phuket will be rainy, but even if the weather was glorious given your interests, Bangkok wins out.
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

thanks! So seems like Bangkok is unanimous...

Did Phuket lose out due to the short length of my stay, the October rainy weather, or is it perhaps a place to go with my girl friend?

Or is Phuket not as wonderful as it sounds?

J
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 09:38 AM

What you said you wanted to do "walking around, sitting at a cafe or bar, exploring holes in the walls" seems like a much more interesting things to do in Bangkok. Phuket is an international beach resort, so while there are bars and cafes, the clientele will be tourists for the most part.

Phuket has beautiful beaches, no question, though many would recommend you go to nearby places that have lovely beaches and not as many tourists.
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 07:36 PM

bkk for sure... phuket is tacky

fly home from bkk
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 03:53 AM

I just returned from Phuket & Bangkok. Phuket is for beachy folks who enjoy sitting in a bar drinking and watching the passing foot traffic. Bangkok for me was much more interesting.
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 02:37 PM

Miss Green-we seem to be following you again-You were leaving Cairo as we were arriving. Now you leave Phuket & we are headed to SE Asia with 8 nights in Phuket. We were in Bangkok the last time there & N. Thailand. In fact our guide from N.Thailand is planning to join us for a few days in Phuket.
Were next Miss Green ?? HAHA
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 11:06 PM

Hi
it sounds like Bangkok will suit you for this trip
you might like sititng in a cafe/bar around Sukhumvit area or around Chao Phraya River.
you can fly back from BKK to NY, depends you want to visit Hong Kong before back home.