Search

Bangkok or Phuket?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bangkok or Phuket?

Which to choose for a 3 night stay??

We're doing 4 nights in Singapore in late Feb and we can add either city to our trip to extend it for a full 7 night journey.

We have not been to Thailand so this would be our first taste. We're in our 30's and love to sight see and eat! So which should we try?
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 11:55 AM

Well, both sight-seeing and eating will be more intersting in Bangkok. Phuket is primarily a beach area, good for relaxing, not much cultural stuff to see/do. Lots of fabulous restaurants in Bangkok.
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 11:59 AM

For your intro to Thailand and you want to sight see and eat, I think Bangkok should be your choice. However the south is my personal favourite. Bangkok is a truly amazing city. Spend three nights there and you will NEVER forget it!
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 01:10 PM

It all depends whether you want to spend those days sightseeing and shopping, dining out etc in a city or if you want to spend those days either relaxing on the beach or in an island resort or whatever, they so so entirely different
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 01:20 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Bangkok. Even though it's a city, it is completely different from Singapore. Many of us pick Bangkok as our favorite city in the world. It has so much to offer. If you're into sightseeing and eating, no contest, Phuket cannot hold a candle to Bangkok. I spent three nights in Phuket and found it boring. I've been to Bangkok 5 times and have never been bored.
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Sounds like we can't go wrong choosing BKK this time!

Thanks for your responses. It sounds like Phuket would be a good side trip in between some busy cities during a longer SEA trip.

Thanks again! Now, off to research Bangkok!
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 10:59 PM

After a few dozen trips to Bangkok, I still find places I have never been to before. It's an amazing city.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 02:11 AM

You wont regret doing only Bangkok.Its truly amazing and it would be just right for 3 days.You'll imbibe the true essence of Thailand...People, culture & its food.It has the right mix.
Phuket is a beach destination,maybe you'll be determined to do it next time, once you've done Bangkok.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 02:25 AM

Hi

As the others mention, Phuket is more of a beach destination while Bangkok is a big city destination. My vote goes to Bangkok. Some hate the city as it can be loud, chaotic, polluted etc....I just think it is fascinating. It has lots of nice sights, good food, great shopping etc. I have posted a trip report with some pictures from my last trip to Thailand on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com/thailand2002.htm . Maybe you can find some useful info there

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 07:12 AM

I absolutely adore Singapore, but I vote Bangkok as number 1 and for your situation I'd go for Bangkok. Happy Travels!