Bangkok Peninsula booking?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2006, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are traveling to Bangkok for the first time and decided to take the suggestion of many fodorites to stay at the Pen. Quick questions:

1. we are traveling in August. Are the prices the best they are going to be? Any chance of them getting lower at this point, or should I just book?

2. Prices are somewhat lower through sawadee. com and precision reservations. I've been told you will get the best service by just booking through the hotel itself and paying the difference. I've already tried negotiating a matching price (to the agent rates) with the Pen with no luck. Thoughts?

3. Balcony room worth it? Should we shoot for a breakfast included package (meaning breakfast is divine?)?

Thanks a lot-

Best-
lachica

Old May 4th, 2006, 05:17 AM

1. The prices shouldn't change much, if at all but they can vary if the value of the baht changes against the value of the dollar.

2. You won't have any luck trying to negotiate a better rate with the Penn. The service you get by showing up with a voucher from an on-line agent will be just fine. Be sure you read the agent's change/cancellation policy - that is where people get tripped up. Have you looked at asiarooms.com? Recently they have generally had the best rates - we booked through them for a stay at the Penn this past February with no problems.

3. The balcony rooms are not worth it - it will be too hot to go outside and the balcony blocks your view. The grand deluxe room is worth it however - if you want to splurge, that is how to do it. The better views are from the side of the hotel that faces in the direction of the Grand Palace - if you request this, you should get it. By all means breakfast should be included. The buffet is outstanding and having your meal outside by the river is wonderful in the morning.
Old May 4th, 2006, 06:05 AM

1. What are the prices the Pen is quoting now for August? What is the difference between that and the sawadee site?

2. Even if the Pen won't match the Sawadee rates exactly, see if they will include Breakfast for 2 in with their lowest Grand Deluxe rate (they did for me). At that point, the difference was minimal. And yes, the breakfast is divine.

3. Agree that Balcony rooms not worth it. They are set back and the view is somewhat obstructed by other rooms which have windows that jut out from the building. Plus, it looks like their only windows are those of the sliding doors to the balcony.
Old May 4th, 2006, 08:47 AM

We got a great deal for the Pen in August through Amex, if you have a card or would be interested in getting one. I think you need platinum level upwards to get it.

The rate was good (I will have to check it and post later), we will get an upgrade on arrival subject to availability (and in August this is quite likely), it included a free massage for each of us, breakfast, late checkout and we didn't need to pay a deposit (24 hour cancellation policy).
Old May 4th, 2006, 09:41 AM

I stayed there in August 2004 for about $140...standard room/breakfast included. I called up AmExp Platinum card travel service at the 800 number and they gave me that rate.They usually have excellent rates. I had them hold the room with my credit card as I very seldom prepay anything.As for balconies...it's too hot to sit outside. Plus everytime you open the balcony door, the heat/humidity will come into your room and throw off the air conditioning.Get the breakfast included if possible. Happy Travels!
Old May 4th, 2006, 12:41 PM

The hotel is offering during the summer months a deluxe room for $247 (210 plus 17.7% tax/service charge) with no breakfast. A promotion called summer splendor has the same room for 282 net but with breakfast and one-way airport transfer. Not that cost appealing.

Sawadee quotes $222 net and Asia Rooms $204. No breakfast is included.

If you can get the hotel to include breakfast at the $247 rate then you are about even with an agent's site.
Old May 4th, 2006, 02:51 PM

We have successfully negotiated with the Peninsula about rates twice for stays in August.

If you book directly with them and see a lower rate directly with them later (which could happen, but not very likely) you could easily change to the lower rate. If you use a booking site and prepay and then the rate goes down, you are stuck with the higher rate in most cases...once in a while they'll be kind and let you change, but I've actually only of that happening once.

I wouldn't pay the extra for the balcony rooms. It's hot. The non-balcony rooms have enormous floor to ceiling windows that offer the same view in air-conditioned comfort. If you have money to spend on a nicer room than Deluxe, then the Suites are amazing....but the deluxe rooms are also amazing, so no need. The only difference between Deluxe and Grand Deluxe is the floor...Grand deluxe are on higher floors. Same with Deluxe Suite and Grand Deluxe Suite.

Absolutely try for breakfast included. The River retreat package is $260.00++

The Summer Splendor deal has a variety of options, one of which is breakfast. Prices start at $240.00++

I'm one who prefers to book directly...even if it costs a bit more because I don't like to prepay and I don't like to have to fight for a refund as I've heard is the case with Asiarooms. I did book and cancel a room with sawadee.com last December and I did get my refund, after AMEX made an inquiry about it with them.

Old May 5th, 2006, 03:31 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I've also negotiated a better rate directly with the Pen (not their 800 number but directly with the Pen Bangkok). I got an upgrade and breakfast for far less than any website, for 5 nights at the end of this month and beginning of June. The days of getting a room at the Pen for $140/night are long over however.
Old May 5th, 2006, 06:16 AM

I should rephrase my comment above:

You won't have any luck trying to negotiate AN ON-LINE AGENT'S rate with the Penn.

If you prefer to deal directly with the Penn (at a higher rate) they do offer an upgrade and will include breakfast in the rate.
Old May 5th, 2006, 06:35 AM

Just for curiosity laurieco what was the rate that you got.
Old May 5th, 2006, 02:17 PM

$190 per night plus tax and service (17%) so it's about $123 per night. This is for a grand deluxe with breakfast for two.
Old May 5th, 2006, 02:18 PM

Sorry, make that $223 per night, including the tax and service, not $123!
Old May 5th, 2006, 02:35 PM

WOW, Laurie, I thought that at $123 I'd book my whole stay there! $223 is still a good price.
Old May 5th, 2006, 02:45 PM

Summer rate for a Grand Deluxe on asiarooms is $204 with tax and service but w/o breakfast so if you can get the rate with breakfast that Laurie did going direct, go for it.
Old May 5th, 2006, 05:24 PM

Kathie, there was a time, not too long ago, when you could get the Pen for about $125/night, with breakfast. Alas, no more The $223 is a good rate though, considering that breakfast is about $22 per person per day. That would add $44 for the two of us each day, quite a bit.
Old May 5th, 2006, 11:16 PM

Our rate through Amex was
Old May 5th, 2006, 11:24 PM

oops - meant to add, our rate was $224 through Amex. That included breakfast, room upgrade subject to availability (from Grand Deluxe up we go to Suite not Balcony room as we have a toddler), late checkout until 4pm and 2 massages. However, it is subject to taxes adding another 17%.

The Peninsula wouldn't give me as low a rate as Laurie got for August, but then I have never stayed there before so I wondered if that had something to do with it.
Old May 7th, 2006, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your great advice. I will continue to search around for the best packages, but no balcony room! I think I may just book with the Peninsula direct, even with the slight additional cost. They have some new packages of late that are pretty comprable with agents.

Thanks again!