Search

Hotel rate wiggle room? Discount sites vs. direct bookings

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel rate wiggle room? Discount sites vs. direct bookings

Maybe this is a silly question, but...

We're going to Thailand in what I can only assume will be high season for hotels (12/5-12/21). Some of our hotels (mostly the cheapest ones) are already booked through the hotel directly, as the rate from a discount booking site is arguable, at best.

But the more expensive ones (the Peninsula and the Rachamankha, for example) I'd rather book through a discount site like Sawadee.

As is always the case, December's rates aren't going to be published until at least September there. That's cutting things a little close for my taste, considering we're booking at a fairly busy time of year. Question then becomes: is it uncouth to hold a reservation with the hotel directly, then when Sawadee's rates become available, book with them and then cancel the direct hotel reservation upon confirmation? Only can assume that the hotel would be completely aware of the bait-and-switch. Have others done this? Does this compromise the level of service you get?

Again, I know--maybe a silly question--but just wondering...

As a side note: the prices on the Pen have SKYROCKETED! The hotel quoted me a rate of almost USD$365/night for a Grand Deluxe room when last year the same room was USD$265. The hotel is also switching over their billing rates this month to THB...sneaky little buggers. Suppose the time is right to make as much money off the weak dollar as possible. Wonderful for them, horrible for us.
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 06:43 PM

I think that changing reservations to a cheaper option if it becomes available is logical.

The Peninsula will offer special rates for winter after summer...winter splendor. Also, save a little money by booking deluxe rather than grand deluxe...the only difference is floor, with deluxe being floor 9 and below, grand deluxe being floor 10 and up. Decor, layout, everything, is the same otherwise. 6 stays at the Peninsula Bangkok, all but one booked at deluxe level (deluxe suite and once deluxe room) and every time got a high floor upgrade. But in fact, we actually prefer to be lower rather than higher...find the view better and easier to see the river from lower.

See what a Virtuoso agent has to offer for the Peninsula. Last year, the Virtuoso rate was less than summer splendor and included breakfast daily, upgrade on arrival if available, late check out, and afternoon tea once per stay.
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 07:06 PM

what is a virtuoso agent?
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 07:11 PM

http://www.virtuoso.com/

You can go to that website and look up a travel agent. They specialize in luxury travel, and when you are a virtuoso member you can sometimes get special pricing or a room upgrade for clients. My ta does this for us with the 4 Seasons. Hope this helps.
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 07:43 PM

I have generally found that the discount sites don't do very well with the luxury hotels like the Penn. And you really are going at peak season. I generally find that it's better to deal with them directly. You're not going to be there the Christmas/New year week which is when the really fill up so you still might be able to get some sort of deal.

The Rachamankha, on the other hand, you should be able to get better prices on discount sites.
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 07:53 PM

You are right, discount agents often have higher prices than direct booking for luxury properties.

Virtuoso is not a discount site. Virtuoso is a network of travel agents which represent a select group of luxury hotels, cruises, vacations...It is competitive and highly selective to be a Virtuoso agent, and properties that are represented through Virtuoso must maintain high standards and customer satisfaction. Hotels/providers have contracted rates with benefits with Virtuoso, and in turn the Virtuoso agents sell to customers like us. In my experience, their negotiated rates are better than any others available.
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 08:16 PM

hey you are from CA...do what you want!!!

rates should be ready in september...on the discount sites

did you look at agoda and asiarooms too??
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 09:44 PM

It's not a hard and fast rule that discount sites won't have rates until September. It depends on the hotel. I see rates into next year for some hotels.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 08:44 PM

its always better to book through the hotel directly.as because they can provide the best package i.e room rates might include breakfast and airport pick up which would save u around 50 us dollar.

then there are many luxury hotel near the new airport which are cheaper and not known as they are newly built. if people want to explore new areas then they should go for the second option nd everything is cheapper from food to bars and all things.............
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 08:48 PM

i rearely find the rates to be the best when booking directly through the hotel in thailand...
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 08:48 PM

should read "rarely"...
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 10:24 PM

Film
I know what you mean about the rates, i am finding the Pen to be very expensive. I have found the BEST pen rate at whatahotel.com (and you DONT prepay) i emailed the pen and they said i was best booking thru whatahotel as they couldnt match the rate.
I wanted a Balcony room and this comes under the "what a hotel special it includes breakfast, free upgrade (if available!!!) afternoon tea at Siam paragon.
maybe give them a shot?
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 10:29 PM

More and more hotels are 'getting it' when it comes to the Internet, and giving their best rate on their site, rather than the rack rate they used to quote.

But, that said, I can't recall ever running into a hotel site whose rates included tax and service (10% + 7% in Thailand). You have to be sure to factor that in when comparing rates to a discount site that does include those (some do, some don't, you have to be sure to look).
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 10:35 PM

on my wAY TO PHUKET I BOOKED A ROOM WITH AIPORT PICK UP AT HOTEL CALLED 13 COINS RESORT NEAR TO THE AIRPORT WITH PICK UP AND DROP WITH BREAKFAST FOR ONLY 1800 BAHT.......IT WAS DAMN CHEAP CONSIDERING THE ROOM.........THERE WERE SOME MOSQUITO IN THE LOBBY.BUT GREAT PLACE WITH LIVE MUSIC FOR STOPOVER..........I HAPPEN TO GET THE CONTACT FROM MY FRIEND WHO HAVE BEEN THERE. IT WORKED OUT TO CALL THE GUY DIRECTLY AND THE PRICE WAS NOTHING COMPARED TO THE FARE I HAVE BBEN PAYING FOR MY TAXIS WHEN I STOPOVER AT BANGKOK.........
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 11:01 PM

This very detailed trip report contains great information about the benefits of booking luxury hotels through a Virtuoso agent. Report included the Peninsula Bangkok and the Ritz Carlton Singapore reports. At both hotels, the two parties were given generous upgrades to suites in addition to the other Virtuoso amenities.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=834490
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 12:41 AM

Kim
I am going to check out virtuouso too as this sounds great.
will let you know how i get on!
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 01:09 AM

I believe that www.whatahotel.com's bricks and mortar agency, Lorraine Travel, is a Virtuoso agent. They used to advertise the Virtuoso benefits on their whatahotel.com website, but it looks like Virtuoso either put a stop to that or they got kicked out of Virtuoso for doing it, not sure which. There is a Virtuoso agent that posts here, http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...ons&fid=27

And, he is the one who the writer of the trip report used. He is a regular poster on flyertalk.com Luxury Hotels board as DavidO. Seems to be a good one, may be worth an e-mail.