Bangkok or Beijing Advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2003, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I've been reading all of the great information on this board about Bangkok and looking for some advice.

I have the opportunity to spend some time in Bangkok and Chiang Mai next year but I'm worried about the pollution in Bangkok. I was in Xian last year and ended up leaving earlier for Beijing because I have breathing problems with smog/pollution. Anyone have any advice on whether I should skip Bangkok and just spend more time in Bejing? Looking to go in May, so think it will be hot then.

Any information would be appreciated!!
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 06:57 PM

smog usually bothers me, but unless i am in a tuk-tuk i do not find bangkok to be too bad.....spend lots of time in a/c and it will help, especially when out and about---cabs and sky train....

in CM there should be no problem
Old Oct 10th, 2003, 12:01 PM

I find Bangkok is comparable to any of the other large Asian cities as far as exhaust pollution (Taipei, Hong Kong). I start to feel it after about 3 days, so I try to break up my time in those cities. Can you spend a couple of days in Bangkok at the beginning of your trip, then go to CM, then return to Bangkok for a few more days?

rhkkmk is right though, do NOT take a tuk tuk -- you might as well suck on the exhaust pipe of the car in front of you!
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 08:03 PM
Original Poster

Hi Marilyn, I think I may take your advice and go to Bangkok for 2-3 days and then fly to Chiang Mai and then go back to Bangkok for 2 days since I have to fly through again to get to Beijing. Thanks all for your recommendations!
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 08:21 PM

cm, dig this post up when you return, and let us know how it went. Have a great trip!