Beaches in Bali

Old May 23rd, 2002, 01:13 PM
Tina

Beaches in Bali

How are the beaches in Bali? Do they compare to Fiji or Hawaii? Some have commented that
the beaches arent that nice. Which hotels
are located on the best beach in Bali? Some
also have stated that the beach at Four
Seasons Jimbaran Bay is too small- is this
true?

Old May 23rd, 2002, 02:14 PM
Les

Tina,
I can't comment on the beaches in Fiji (never been), but I have been to Hawaii (4 Islands) and Bali (stayed at Nusa Dua, but visited the beach at Kuta), and I far and away prefer the Hawaiian beaches.
The beach at Nusa Dua (a high-end tourist enclave) was terrible, with extreme changes depending upon the tides. When the tide was out, you had to walk through about 150 yards of smelly muck and kelp before you even reached the water. When the tide was in (not many hours in the day), the swimming was just OK, not spectacular, and if you strayed even a little way down the beach from your hotel, the peddlars were as annoying as flies. The beach at Kuta looked OK (when we were there), but it was featureless, with unpleasant looking brown sand, and the town itself is the pits. The fact that the beach was empty probably says more about it than the way it looked. I can't speak for any other Bali beaches.
The Hawaiian beaches, on the other hand, had basically clean white sand (or black or green sand, if you go to the volcanic beaches), with pleasnt wave action (which I prefer to dead calm beaches). Yes, some of the beaches were "man-made" (i.e., sand was brought in from elsewhere), but so what? The "beach experience" was much more pleasant than in Bali.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 02:46 PM
Tina

To Les, thanks for the input. We plan on going to Bali this August and look forward to the scenery and culture. I didnt mean to sound to concerned about the beaches but we travel only once a year and its refreshing to be near a beautiful beach instead of at home in the city. I dont want to have high expectations. Is the sand area narrow
and crowded? We went to Kaui, several years ago in June.Favorite beach was
Tunnels beach- spectacular views and
hardly anybody was there. We enjoyed the Kannapali area in Maui but found narrow strip of sand. Do you think we
should split our stay in Bali between
an area near the beach and near Ubud?

area in Maui

Old May 23rd, 2002, 06:16 PM
James

Having been to Bali, Hawaii and Fiji I would have to rank the beaches
1 Bali
2 fiji
3 Hawaii

Kuta Beach in Bali is fantastic and has the advantage of easy access. Fiji has pristine water but it can be a real mission trying to get to them and very few facilities, although Natandola Beach (spelling?)is world class (if you are brave enough to take on the road to get there)

As for Hawaii - and I must admit it has been a few years since I was there, the beaches are so artificial it is like being in a swimming pool!

Old Oct 1st, 2003, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I liked the beach at Grand Hyatt Bali alot more that the Four Seasons Maui. It's longer wider with alot less people. Also it goes out to the ocean at least 200 feet and you can still be above the water level
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 06:14 PM
budg

Bali has beautiful beaches. Jimbaran was peaceful with local people. Stayed at the Ritz. Hotel is spectacular on a a cliff overlooking Indian Ocean. Stayed in a villa with a private pool and the most incredible views in the world. The beach below was very private, but pulled you in, so difficult to swim. The Kuta area had nice beach but very touristy (backpackers, etc.). Ubud is wonderful, the 4 seasons is supposed to be fantastic.

As for Fiji, have never been, but heard it was nice. Hawaii, not so great beaches.

For nice beaches, stick with the Bahamas, (Eleuthera, Exuma, etc.) or the BVI's and USVI's, water crystal clear, calm to rough depending on which side of the island and pink or white sand beaches. Incredible....

IMO Bali is a very special and spectacular place. Much more than beaches, and the people are so nice and welcoming. You will definitely enjoy it.

Have fun!

Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 11:32 PM

I have to say that I was most disappointed with the beaches in Hawaii. They seemed to suit board riders Ok but not swimmers.

On Bali the best beaches are on the strip from Kuta up through Legian, on the western side of the island. They have good clean sand, are quite wide and there is good surf for both board riders and body surfers like me.

Those unused to surf beaches are warned that they can be quite dangerous - inexperienced swimmers are strongly advised to use the patrolled areas marked off by flags.

However, it must be reiterated that Kuta has a somewhat seedy side to it; although there are still many very comfortable (and since the Bali bombings very reasonably-priced) resort-style opportunities for accommodation.

Harzer
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 03:44 AM

I stayed in Sanur and the beach was loussy, and at the Holiday Inn Kuta the beach was even worse, I don't see how anyone who has been to beaches on Fiji can rank them lower than Bali, sorry but that is just strange!
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 05:46 PM

Well, I guess you never left the Holiday Inn on Kuta to see the beach.

I grew up by an Australian beach as a kid and have seen beaches all over the world, so I know beaches. I would put Kuta up there in the to 20% if you want good, big waves and a wide, clean strip of white to yellow sand.
For the record, amongst my favourites in this category are the beaches of Spain.

If you prefer calmer waters then south from Phuket's Patong beach in Thailand is pretty hard to beat.

Harzer
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 05:47 PM

That should read "Northern Spain" i.e. west of San Sebastian.

Harzer
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 09:49 AM

I have ben to Bali (this past July) and Fiji (2 years ago). Bali is lovely but IMO not exactly a gorgeous "sit on the beach" kind of a place. The beaches are a little rough: the sand can be quite rocky (north coast), rough surf (around Jimbaran), or very small amount of sand (Candi Dasa). Yes, hawkers can be a problem. But seeing as how the Kuta bombing, and most recent bombing in Jakarta, have drastically affected tourism, it is not too surprising that hawkers are being more aggressive than in the past.

That being said, Bali is a delightful place and you still get the feel of a beach vacation, but certainly not as much as in Fiji. Then again, there is so much to do in Bali: hiking, rafting, looking at arts and crafts, temples, and making friends.

I am envious of your upcoming trip! Be safe and happy travels.
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 03:02 PM

I just came back from Bali. Amankila has an awesome very private beach near Candi Dasa....black volcanic sand. Very stunning panoramic scenery with a temple high above on a cliff. Also very expensive to stay there, but it was the best beach on the island.
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 12:20 AM

The beaches in Bali are nothing great to be honest. Was there last month, the waves can be quite rough and not safe for swimming (though must be good for surfing), sand is not white compared to Boracay in the Philippines, Kuta beach quite crowded. Nevertheless I enjoyed my time there as there is more to Bali than just beaches: Ubud, lovely top notch restaurants, fantastic spas, etc. We did enjoy seaside dinners by Jimbaran Bay. Also go to KuDeTa, a restaurant/club right by the beach. I suggest you go but not for its beaches.