Bangkok next Monday!!

Old Dec 20th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bangkok next Monday!!

WEll all you rodorites or whatever, We are on our way next Monday, Christmas to be exact! I will be sure to heed Kathies and Bills advice about the food and visiting the temples early! Thanks so much for the info again. Just want to get my facts straight. The Palace is near the wat with the giant reclining Budda?? And best late night street dinning suggestions? I would also like to buy some masks. Authintic Thai masks, but not antiques. I teach school and would love some great examples for my classroom. Any suggestions again for a first time visitor.
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 04:25 PM

The Grand Palace has the Emerald Buddha and Wat Pho has the reclining Buddha. while they are "next" to each other the entrances are counter-posed. You can walk, but a metered cab ride will be slightly more than a dollar and a relief from the heat.

You might check out the Joe Louis Puppet Theater at the Sun Luum (sp?) night market. it's great fun and they have a number of wonderful things on sale.
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 04:43 PM

I hope you're bringing warm clothes. It's been downright chilly all week - "chilly" being relative. Mornings have been in the low 20s (C) with light breezes. For us "locals" these are artic conditions.
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 05:13 PM

Have a wonderful trip! As Gpanda says, the Grand Palace/Emerald Buddha complex is next to Wat Po (Reclining Buddha). I've always walked from one to teh other, but if you are too hot, you can take a taxi.

Thai masks... you know, I don't really associate Thailand with masks. There are those headresses used in Thai dance... You might consider some elaborate puppets. There is a place in River City (2nd or 3rd floor on the end of the shopping center closest to teh Royal Ochid) that has nice teak Thai puppets clothed in vintage fabrics... they are 2.5 to 3 feet tall, really lovely.
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 02:59 AM

Just want to second the observation about the "arctic" conditions in Bangkok. I've spotted a few locals in down vests. According to the press, the chilly weather is the result of monsoons in China. We're off to Cambodia tomorrow and are hoping it will warm up by next week when we head to the Golden Triangle.
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 05:31 AM

arthistory - When/where are you flying out of/to and how long will you be in Bangkok? I'm heading out on Monday as well, but my destination is Hanoi (through LAX and TPE). I'll be going on to Bangkok on 2 January. Happy travels!
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info Gpanda and Kathie! Is not 20degrees c about 65F?? Just off the top of my head could be way off! lol That does not see too cold. Hey pebbles Will fly out of LAX with friends Monday at 11:20 to Soul Korea then on to Bangkok.We will stay in Bangkok four days then we too are off to Hanoi and Saigon. See ya at the LAX mega airport? lol Thanks again everybody for all the advice. Kathie I do remember the Thai puppets now, have seen them they are real cool! Happy travels pepbles and others as well. To see the world and experience different cultures, food, and everything is what life is about!
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 06:27 AM

It looks like it will be very close. My flight should be getting into LAX at 10:59p.m., and we might have a day of overlap in Hanoi. Enjoy your travels!
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 06:28 AM

AH-I seem to remember that they sell puppets at the JL Puppet Thater mentioned above. We bought a Hanuman head that has a prominant place in our house.

Make sure you get a chance to take the river ferry at some point. It's fun and cheap.

Try some of the fresh squeezed orange juice they sell on the street. It's a great pik-me-up when you're feeling hot and sweaty.

Get a massage. Call Wat Pho school of massage and they will send someone or two to your hotel. If you get a massage at a place on the street, DO NOT get one from one of those places wherte the masseuses are hanging out in front and look bored. They will not pay sufficient attention.

Try Pomelo salad and deep-fried fish with chili sauce. The mango with sticky rice for dessert is a treat.