Notices

Which Wat 's are a must in Bangkok?

Old Sep 27th, 2004, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Wat 's are a must in Bangkok?

With four full days in my first trip to Bangkok, need to know which of the many Wat's are a must in Bangkok. Will spend a day buying, but need recommendations of what to do the next two days. Does anyone can recommend the best Thai Dinner show?

Thanks for any info.
Old Sep 27th, 2004, 07:08 PM

It depends on how interested you are in wats. I'd say that the minimum "must see" wats are the Temple of the Emerald Buddha (part of the Grand Palace Complex) and the Temple of the Reclining Buddha (Wat Po).

There are many, and everyone has their favorites. I enjoy the Marble Temple (Wat Ben) and its beautiful grounds. And there is an interesting temple in Chinatown with a solid gold Buddha (sorry, can't reacall the name). Wat Arun (Temple of the Dawn) is another popular one.
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 01:43 AM

I second Kathie on the emerald Buddha, reclining buddha and the Grand Palace. I would add either Jim Thompsons house or Suan Pakkad to a sightseeing "must do" list.
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 04:21 AM

"Must see" Grand Palace and Wat Pho, no BKK trip would be complete without them. The others, Marble Wat, Wat Arun, Wat Triamit (SP?) Wat Prayoon are fascinating, but you should judge for yourself whether they speak to you or whether your merely seeing them to check them off "the list". If the second, there's way too much to do and see in BKK to waste time. As noted above, Jim Thompson House, Suan Packard are great. Personally, with only two days, I would not journey outside BKK to Ayutthaya, River Kwai or Floating Market. Remember it's going to be hot, plan some relaxing time, massage, pool etc. Have fun.
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 05:29 AM

Hi

The popular wats that has been mentioned are great...but they can also be very crowded. I took a walk in Bangkok one early morning and Grand Palace was packed with tourists quite early...but Wat Suthat only a few hundred meters away was totally empty...so my advice is that you should take a walk around and stop by small wats and take a look at the locals I have posted my experiences from Bangkok in a trip report with pictures on my homepage gardkarlsen.com Maybe you can find some useful information there

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 06:01 AM

Go see the Calypso Cabaret- Ladyboys- it a classy show, very entertaining. Its at the Asia Hotel- check out the website - search on Calypaso cabaret. $25 and well worth it- we did it in April and had a great time.
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 08:25 PM

yess a spiritual experience at a wat in the afternoon and show where she-males, tranvestites and others dance for you plaeaure is a plan... YEp this is what makes Bangkok so darn speicial.

bill T.. you really seem too like the ladyboy show did one of them ceth your fancy. lol...
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 04:18 AM

Orgy7: seems like a good balance. Hey a lot these Ladyboys look better than a lot of women in the audience- but its all a charade.