Bangkok for 2 nights

Sep 4th, 2006, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Bangkok for 2 nights

Hi,
I am a newbie on this forum. My husband & I (mid 20's) are going to Thailand in February 2007 for 18 days.

We will spend 2 nights in BKK to start with. Please can you suggest itinerary? We're flying into BKK around 4pm so we will not have much time left on that day but would you suggest any activity that could fit for an evening? We will then have a full day free for viewing all the BKK sights, please can you suggest itinerary? Please do not include shopping.

We then fly to Siem Reap for 3 nights and return to BKK in the morning and have approximately half a day free before taking an overnight train to Chiang Mai. What would you suggest we could do?
Also is there some storage at the train station where we could leave our luggage?

Many thanks for your help.
Kind regards,
Katerina
Sep 4th, 2006, 09:19 AM

Where are you arriving from? If you are arriving from Europe or North America, you will be exhausted from the long flight and have jet leg. At best, you may be up for having dinner that evening. The next day, you'll still be battling jet lag.

The #1 place to go (and plan to get there by 8:30 am) is the Grand Palace/Temple of the Emerald Buddha complex. Wat Po (the reclining Buddha) is right next door. If you can see those three things in the morning, head for someplace airconditioned for lunch. You may want to return to your hotel for a dip in the pool and a nap before heading out for more sight-seeing. For something different that afternoon, plan to tour the Jim Thompson House. If you are still going, you might make dinner reservations at Bed SupperClub that night. You will obviously not see "all" of the Bangkok sights.

Note that there is a dress code to get into the Grand Palace complex. I assume you have a guidebook, do read that part carefully as well as the part about ignoring people who tell you the complex is closed and they will get you a tuk-tuk to a jewelry store.

Remember, it is very hot and humid in Bangkok. You won't be able to get as much done as you might in other places.

You time in Bangkok is severely limited. Make very limited goals for yourself.
Sep 4th, 2006, 08:08 PM

kathie is right on the money
Sep 4th, 2006, 09:16 PM

Hi

My wife and I have been to Thailand on vacation a couple of times and it is a great vacation destination I would suggest that you buy a guidebook to plan your stay but in Bangkok the common attractions are Grand Palace, Wat Arun, Chatuchak weekend market, shopping etc. I have posted a trip report with some pictures on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com/thailand2002.htm . Maybe you can find some useful info there.

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Sep 5th, 2006, 12:02 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your replies, very helpful.

Kathie, please can you let me know how far is Wat Banjamaborpitr - the White Marble Temple from the Grand Palace?

After we get back from Siem Reap we have approximately 6.5 hrs to spare before boarding our overnight train to Chiang Mai and we would like to do a cruise on the river, should we book some tour or can we do it ourselves once in BKK just to rest out a boat? Is this possible?

Many thanks again.
Regards,
Katerina
Sep 5th, 2006, 02:07 AM

You can arrange a long-tail boat from many of the piers. The easiest may be Taksin Pier at the end of the skytrain. You cab also do it from the pier near the Grand Palace, Tha Chang (I think).
Sep 5th, 2006, 05:55 AM

As Gpanda says, no need to book a cruise (i'm not even sure they have them during the day!). Just rent a longtail from the pier.

If you want to visit Wat Ben as it's often called, do so very early in the morning when you can see people making merit by bringing food to the monks. Take a taxi from your hotel. It will be early enought that traffic isn't a concern.
Sep 5th, 2006, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Kathie, thank you for your help.

This is our provisional itinerary:

1. day arrival pm - relaxing by pool, dinner

2. day:
Morning to early pm: Grand Palace and Wat Phra Kaeo, Wat Mahathat, Wat Po, Wat Arun and if we can still manage then Wat Ben or do you think it's too much at once?

Lunch and then Chinatown or Jim Thompson House if we can manage otherwise we will leave it for when we return from Siem Reap

Evening - Loy Nava Dinner Cruise and drinks at Vertigo or Sirocco

Is this doable?

Please feel free to comment.
Many thanks.
Katerina

Sep 5th, 2006, 07:49 AM

And where are you flying from when you get to Bangkok? You have scheduled a lot for that first full day!

As I come from Seattle, I'm usually up very early that firsts morning. I could go to Wat Ben for the merit-making and go back to my hotel for breakfast, then catch the water taxi to the Grand Palace complex and be there when it opens. You have lots scheduled for that morning, I don't really think it is do-able. But it depends on how acclimated you are to the climate, how jet-lagged you are, and how much time you want to spend at each place.

Also, I'd cut out the dinner cruise. The food on the cruises is so-so at best. You're planning time on the river when you return, so treat yourself to a nice dinner at one of Bangkok's many fine restaurants. I must admit, that I fail to understand why eating or drinking atop a tall building is such a thrill, but lots of people rave about it, so do it if it's your kind of venue.
Sep 5th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Hi Kathie,

We fly with Thai Airways overnight from London and if I get a good sleep after the flight I never really experience jet lag as such...
I guess you're right about the fact that we're trying to fit in too much, your suggestions sound more realistic..

I'm surprised about your comments regarding the cruise as that one was highly recommended on Tripadvisor, will do more research on that one... I don't really care about the food as much, I just thought it would be a nice way of seeing a bit more of BKK sights...

As for the high building bar, it will only be for couple of drinks and mainly to get great photos! ;-)

Cheers.
Katerina
Sep 5th, 2006, 08:27 AM

Remember that it will be completely dark on your dinner cruise. You'll see lights, but won't really see the city. Some people like those kinds of things, some do not.

If you manage to sleep well on planes, the jet lag may not be as much of an issue as the heat and humidity.
Sep 5th, 2006, 03:18 PM

I think a dinner cruise is a great way to see the city all lighted up at night. If you want to see it during the day just take a river ferry or a longtail boat to vist the canals. The Loy Nava Dinner Cruise is one of the better ones but I prefer the one run by the Oriental Hotel. A little more expensive but the food is better.

Wat Benchamabophit or Wat Ben is located north/east of the Grand Palace by Si Ayatthaya and Rama V Rds. Not in walking distance so you need to cab it.
Sep 6th, 2006, 12:36 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks again.

Please can someone tell me about the 'klong long boat tour'?

Regards,
Katerina
Sep 6th, 2006, 09:58 AM

long tail boats are long narrow boats powered by an automobile engine which is mounted on the stern above water and makes a huge amount of noise...they fly up and down the river all day and are steered by a long pole with a propeller on the end which hangs off the end of the boat....quite unique and fun....

generally tourists use them for touring the klongs of thornburi...thornburi is the side of the river where the hilton, peninsual and marriott hotels are located....it is often referred to as "the other side of the river or the wrong side"...it was the original capital when the capital was moved to the bkk area...

you glide along canals (klongs) which vary in size from narrow to as large as a normal river viewing "normal" bangkok life along the river...you will see families eating, cooking, bathing, swimming, washing clothes and dishes all along the klongs...you will see hovels located right next to expensive houses...you will see klong side wats and the royal barge museum...often the tour ends with a stop at wat arun...

it is well worth the time....boats can hold up to maybe 6-8 people but usually you just see 2-3 people in them....its lots of fun and you see a unique side to bkk....

boats can be hired at taskim pier or behind the river city shopping center or your riverside hotel, if you have one, can call one for you....bargaining for price is in order....don't let them tell you it is per person pricing....and don't pay much more than 500 B per hour....2-3 hours is sufficient....craig says to only go in the PM when there is lots of activity...