What are your 5 "must do's" in bangkok?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As part of our trip to SE Asia in February, we will be spending a total of 6 days in Bangkok - 3 at the beginning of the trip and 3 at the end.

We're trying to decide on what things we want to do while we're there and would like to hear from people about their top 5 (or more if you want) things not to miss. We're not really into shopping but prefer more cultural activities.

Also, are some things like the floating market just too touristy? We know that there will be tourists everywhere (including us) but when the tourists (us) outnumber the locals, is a sight worth seeing? Thanks for your thoughts!
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 06:59 PM

The Grand Palace
The Jim Thompson House
and just hanging out and watching the scene. I'm sure there are other things, but my mind is blank right now. I think it's just from being there so much that it doesn't hit me as to what to see. Sort of like if someone asked me 5 must-see things here in L.A., I'd also go blank for a while. If anything else pops into my head, I'll post it. Happy Travels!

Old Oct 7th, 2008, 07:00 PM

Oh, the Reclining Buddha...I just saw it on this last Dec/Jan trip and for the first time after 10 years of going to BKK. Happy Travels!
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 07:18 PM

grand palace

jim thompson house

klong tour of thornburi by long tail boat

wat pho

wat arun

city as seen from the top of the state building---sky bar or from banyon tree hotel--vertigo bar (we prefer vertigo...

any trips on the river

eating, eating, eating (i have a restaurant listing if you want it: ask at [email protected]

i love the floating market, but you have to go very early....get a driver to take you....many of us love tong or cherry or rat...

tiger temple

secret place -- only tong does this

a day with a driver will cost about $100 or so but it is worth it...

v-mek palace

suan packard palace

very good plan to split your days...if you are coming from the west then be prepared for the first day or so to be tired and have adjustment problems to the heat and humidity...don't plan to do much...

Old Oct 7th, 2008, 07:20 PM

I'm not a fan of the floating market. For me, it was "too touristy" 20 years ago. Some people love it as a photo op.

Here are some of my "must-sees" for a first timer:

The Grand Palace/Emerald Buddha complex
Wat Po (Reclining Buddha)
Wat Tramit (Golden Buddha)
Wat Ben (Marble Temple) especially early in the morning to see/participate in merit-making
(I could name lots of other wats I really like if you need more)

Klong tour ending at Wat Arun

Water taxis on the Chao Praya (take the local boat, not the tourist boat)

Erawan Shrine

Jim Thompson House
If you love house museums, add The Suan Pakkard Palace with the famed Lacquer Pavillion

If you love the arts and antiquities of Thailand, the Prasart Museum, a private museum by appt. only

One of the things you'll notice is that while the GP/EB is the premier sight in Bangkok, there will be as many Thais there as foreigners - it's not "just" a tourist attraction, it's a national treasure. At most of the wats, there will be more Thais than foreigners.

You are welcome to look at our photos at www.marlandc.com which has many years of photos of various places in Bangkok (as well as elsewhere in SE Asia)
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 07:48 PM

There will be many mentions of Temples and Museums so I might take a different tack.

*Walk through Lumphini Park in the late afternoon and watch the locals go through their fitness regimes. It is priceless to watch 1000plus Thais with drink bottles and towels doing a perfectly synchronized half aerobic half tai-chi routine with the leaders on a stage barely visable in the distance. Also see lots of ballroom dancers,joggers and all sorts of non-motorised transport attached to feet,circumnavigating a beauiful oasis in the middle of this huge city.

*Stay at least one night in a riverside hotel with a view of the river and wake up early. Go down to breakfast with a little "doggy" bag and collect some pasteries and then sit on your balcony drinking coffee and watch the river come alive. We stayed at the Centrepoint Silom and the balcony was dominated by a huge air conditioning compressor that was the only thing that you could sit on, but I must have stared out for 2 hours in amazement. I also had a view of the skytrain and Saphan Taksin bridge that enhanced the experience.

*Go to a food court at one of the shopping complexes. I like the old one on the 6th floor(I think) of the MBK as it still uses the voucher system. Try to calculate how much you are likely to need to feed a family of four,half it,order and collect your vouchers and then go around to all the vendors and order to your hearts content. Save some space for some Mango and sticky rice and then go back to cash in the rest of your vouchers.

* Go to Suan Lum night market and have a foot massage at one of the indoor air conditioned salons. Get one of the men or stronger looking boys to do your feet and ask then for a 'strong' massage. Endure the pain for the hour and then go straight to the food and beer area. Order a 2 litre "Beer Tower" of your favorite brew,put your feet up on the plastic chair opposite you and drink the beer whilst the pain in your feet subsides and watch a local band performing on the big stage in front of you. Walk away an hour later feeling like you have just spent 250baht (cost of the massage not the beer) on a new set of feet.

*Go to the Muay Thai (kickboxing) at the main stadium and get a VIP seat. Sit in a leather lounge chair, ringside watching the action in the ring and the frantic betting in the standing area adjacent to you. Catch the eye of one of the "bookies" and try and place a bet. Have no idea how much you have just wagered and whom you have just bet on. Carry on like the locals do when one of the fighters start to show signs of agression with lots of hand shaking and crys of 'oooweyyy...oooweyyy',still not knowing who you just bet on. At the end of the bout, buy 2 beers,walk up to the guy that you think you had the wager with, hand him a beer and if he hands you 100 baht,buy the next shout as well.If not peal off 200 baht and hand it to him. Watch the rest of the nights fights from the standing room area and try not to place any more bets.

It is very difficult to stop at 5 but I better do some work and stop dreaming of our next trip.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 08:12 PM

1) Eat REAL Thai food especially Street food late at night or very early.
2) Have a drink at the top of the Banyan Tree hotel or State tower @ night
3) Go shopping/eating at MBK/Paragon/Siam area.
4) Did I say eat?
5) Try to immerse yourself in an activity involving Thais only.

Old Oct 7th, 2008, 10:31 PM

If any you in your party are into shopping (and you are there over a weekend) then visit Chatuchak market, full of Thai people (and tourist) 7000 stalls and a great way to spend a couple of hours...
Beware, its hot busy and does contain a lot of junk. But you can also find some great bargains, lovely leather bags , buddhas etc (they sell EVERYTHING there)
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 10:33 PM

apologies i must have missed the bit you said about not liking shopping.. scrap the above post then...

Would agree with a stay on the river
grand Palace, and wat Pho MUST sees

Klong tour

There are so many wonderful things to do in Bangkok you could fill weeks.
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 04:33 AM

Go to the Joe Louis Puppet Theater. It's in the Sun Luum Night Market. Tru;ly a unique experience.
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 06:49 AM

Yes, Erawan shrine. I don't know how I forgot that one as I go by it dozens of times per trip. You can get off at Chitlom BTS (skytrain) stop. It's great to view it from the skytrain walkway, thus looking down on it which is especially good for photos.

Also, merit making.

Happy Travels!
Old Oct 9th, 2008, 05:37 AM

bookmarking..
Old Oct 9th, 2008, 06:15 AM

I'm bookmarking, too. 4 weeks to go, and counting!
Old Oct 9th, 2008, 06:22 AM

Here are my 5:

1. Grand Palace/Wat Phra Keo
2. Wat Arun
3. Wat Po
4. Klong tour
5. Breakfast outside by the Chao Phraya river at the Peninsula

Here's 5 more:

1. Jim Thompson House
2. Checking out all of the great restaurants on rhkkmk's list
3. Drinks at SkyBar (the Dome State Tower)
4. Having clothes custom-made (you have the time to do it even if you don't like to shop)
5. Vimarnmek Palace
Old Oct 9th, 2008, 09:03 AM

#1 Get a real Thai massage
#2 Grand Palace
#3 Chatuchak market
#4 Jim Thompson House & store
#5 Longtail boat tour & Wat Arun

And yes, eat that lovely food every chance you get!
Old Oct 9th, 2008, 09:27 AM

HT's list:

1. Massage and spa

2. Breakfast along the Chao Phraya at either the Peninsula, Oriental or Shangri-La Hotels

3. Grand Palace

4. Klong Tour

5. Hire a car and driver to take you where ever your heart desires in a/c comfort!

Linda's list:

1. Stop at SJ International

2. Massage and spa

3. Lins silver shop

4. Grand Palace

5. Shop at Chatuchak/or the Teak Furniture factory(she wanted more than five choices)

Aloha!
Old Oct 9th, 2008, 04:52 PM

I forgot to add SJ Jewelry store,too. The main attraction of Bangkok. If all of us Fodorites were to take our SJ Jewelry and pool it, it would look like we had a jewelry mine. Smiles. Happy Travels!