Bangkok hotel over New Year's

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter and I have finally agreed on 2+ weeks for our 1st trip to Asia (Thailand). We have decided on the weeks right after Christmas, but are now wondering if being there over New Year's will be extra expensive. I have been collecting all the great tips from the posts here, but have not read anything from someone who's been there at that time of year. I have looked at several of the hotel booking websites recommended on the forum, but it appears that they do not quote rates out that far. Can someone provide some insight as to costs and crowds at this time of the year? BTW, we planned on staying a week in Bangkok and then some time north maybe in Chiang Mai. Any suggestions concerning hotels (can't afford the Oriental!) would also be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 07:19 PM

If you've read about Bangkok hotels on this forum, you'll know that I recommend staying on the river. I always stay in a Towers room at the Royal orchid Sheraton. I've been there several times for the new year - they have fireworks on the river. In the Towers, you'll have shells bursting at eye level - it's spectacular. It's harder to get reservations at that time of the year, and it's high season, so rates are a bit higher. You can certainly book now. Either call the hotel (for the Sheraton, call the 800 number) or request a price quote on the internet. I booked rooms in Indonesia months ago by requesting that www.asiahotels.com get me a price quote. Note that some hotels require an expensive New Years (or Christmas) dinner with your stay. That's less common in Bangkok, but many beach resorts require it.
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 04:16 AM

I've been to Thailand twice at that time of the year. It is peak season and hotels DO up their rates a lot. I've stayed at the Oriental and the Peninsula, both of which are along the river. Great views, for sure! (Pen better than Oriental, IMO)

We have actually stayed on Phuket over the new years holiday at a place called the Villa Royale. The beach at that time of the year is wonderful!

Be prepared to pay peak season prices for your hotels, but the shopping is still a bargain!
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 08:37 PM

in bkk i would try for a river hotel...my personal favorite is the marriott resort and spa and it is the least costly of the major river hotels...next would be the peninsula, then the shangri-la and very lastly the sheraton...we were at the sheraton the week before last and found it tired feeling and we were driven from our rooms by fumes in the air handling system---they must have been doing renovations on another floor---sunday morning by the way...

prices will be dear no matter where you go, but thailand prices are always a bargain---buy now...
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your suggestions. As much as we'd like to stay on the river, we're finding that the cheapest rates for the time we'll be there are well over $120/nite at the Marriott. Some sites won't even quote rates yet. Can someone suggest an area to stay that would be the NEXT best thing to staying by the river? I'm thinking probably near the skytrain??
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Airlawgirl

What about the Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza? I think you will get quite reasonable rates there at New Year's, and you're within walking distance of the Oriental and Shangri-La hotels, if you want to go over there. Plus, Silom Road has any number of shops, restaurants, it's a very lively street. The rooms are quite nice and spacious-and it also has a pool. It's also within a short walk of the Skytrain. I believe there was a recent post about it. New Year's Eve in Bangkok is the place to be-make sure and visit the Erewan Shrine then-the incense, the frenzied number and types of offerings being made and just the whole scene there is fascinating!

Old Jun 27th, 2004, 05:57 PM

how about a serviced apartment...earlier this month we looked at two centre point properties: silom and laun suan and at the marriott mayfair...they were all very nice and affordable...
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 06:36 AM

I have been doing research too, including looking into what hotels a modestly priced tour company that I have used before in Asia (www.imaginative-traveller.com) uses in Bangkok. I do not know these hotels myself, but maybe others can give comments. Viengtai Hotel (www.viengtai.co.th, published rate of about US $50 for deluxe twin) and Trang Hotel (www.trang-hotel.co.th, under reservations listing special stay four nights for price of three, US$100 for a deluxe twin, for all three nights through December 31) in "Riverside" near the historic sights but not right on the river. I also found good description and maps for these hotels at www.bangkok.com.veingtai-hotel and www.bangkok.com/trang-hotel-bangkok. These both appear to be good sized (around 200 rooms) western-style hotels with full services such as restaurant and swimming pool. They certainly appear several steps above "guesthouse" or "hostel". Another hotel which is recommended by Frommers as one of the best value hotels in Thailand and also close to the historic sights is Bossotel (www.bossotelinn.com, near the Shangrila Hotel which is on the river, also US$40 for deluxe twin). Good luck and let us know what you find!
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again everyone--Laurie_Ann, we are considering the Holiday Inn. Expdedia has a $49/nite rate for them. Other hotels we're considering is the St. James and Triple Two Silom. Any comments on these three hotels including their location?
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 06:04 PM
Airlawgirl

Uh, Angela, I think I did, see above!

Old Jun 29th, 2004, 04:56 AM

I checked a couple things and the Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza mentioned above is now called the Holiday Inn Silon Bangkok. For best rates I always also check the hotel website (www.holiday-inn.com). Sometimes there are special offers there that are not available except directly from the hotel. Have a great trip! (Oh another tip I found in a great little guide I just bought a tiny Fodors' city book for Bangkok that includes a huge detailed foldout city map with English and Thai script names for places was even if you stay in a hotel in business or shopping district, which are usually close to the skytrain, take the skytrain south? to the stop on the river and use the ferries and water taxis for an authentic and quicker way to get to the historical sites on the river.)
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 06:45 AM

oops Holiday Inn Silom Bangkok.
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 04:28 AM

check out www.asiahotels.com
www.aistravel.com

then check out the list of hotels/serviced aparments in your price range. asiahotels. has a comment board where former guests give opinions. From there you can do more reaserch on location etc.

Old Jul 1st, 2004, 08:09 AM

Royal Orchid Sheraton is $135+tax for Dec 31 and Jan 1. Great hotel. Wonderful location. Each room has a river view.