Bangkok Hotel near canals?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2004, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone please suggest a hotel in central Bangkok that is convenient to transportation via the canals?
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 07:28 PM

The canals?

Old Apr 5th, 2004, 08:02 PM

the canals aren't generally used by tourists for transportation...many don't even have boats in them...perhaps you mean near the river?? which is used for transportation...
in any case you have to tell us what part of the city, what level hotel, etc???
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 04:05 AM

Ahhhh, memories of my first BKK trip. I stayed in an apartment hotel that was alongside one of the canals. (YES, they are used for transportation)I heard the sounds of the boat motors in the morning and wondered WHAT IN THE WORLD it could be, because we were very far back in an alley, and we had arrived in BKK very late in the night before. There were no streets close by so I knew it wasn't car traffic noise. When I looked out my window, I saw the canal boats zooming by, splashing water, carrying lots of people to work. Fascinating!! The canals are quite narrow, and only one boat will fit through some of the spaces. Many canal boats ply these waters. But they pace them so that they don't meet at the same time in the very narrowest channels!

My apt hotel was called Patumwan House (not Patumwan Princess Hotel). I don't know if it is close to one of the canal docks though. But it is an easy walk to MBK and the sky train. It is also very close to the Jim Thompson house. A nice quiet neighborhood. Patumwan House is very clean, friendly staff, a good restaurant w/Thai food, but NO pool. I like the location most of all. The room rate is very reasonable. Maybe $35-40 per night?? I've stayed in a 2-bedroom suite (2 baths, kitchen/living area) and I've also had a "single" room which is one large room with a bath, and the kitchen is in the corner of the room. I don't thing there is a web site, but you can email Patumwan House:
[email protected] (this is from their business card) They are very fluent in English and would be happy to answer questions.
Carol
Carol
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 07:55 AM

there are tens of hotels that are near canals.

Just about any hotel in Siam, Pratunam or Ploenchit district is fairly close too a canal..

this includes the Hilton. Hyatt, Watergate, Intercontinental. the classic and a bunch of others.

Old Apr 6th, 2004, 02:04 PM

I don't recommend that.

You'd be much better off staying near a Skytrain station such as Pathumwan Princess at MBK.

Old Apr 6th, 2004, 04:45 PM

Jimba,
Why do you want to be near the canals?
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 05:21 PM

i have read in at least two places that tourists (non-thais) are forbidden now from using the boats in the canal in back of the jim thompson house...
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for their replies. A co-worker suggested that staying close to the canals is very convenient due to Bangkok's traffic situation.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 07:15 PM

I wonder if the comment really meant stay close to the river. I always stay on the river and find it very convenient for transport. There are many places to go near the river and the water taxis are cheap and efficient. Also, the places on the river "feel like Bangkok " to me. The places located on busy streets could be in any large Asian city.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 03:43 AM

I would strongly suggest you stay near a skytrain station as opposed to the canals.

The river is a wonderful place to stay as well, and I've done that three times.. Once at Oriental, and twice at the Penninsula. But it depends upon what you want to do in BKK. If you are interested in great shopping, you will need to travel on the skytrain to a more central city location to do that.

The subway is scheduled to open soon. That will also be a good way to travel around BKK without having to sit in traffic.

The Intercontinental (was LeMeridien Hotel) is very nicely located for the skytrain and shopping. I've stayed there (when it was LeMeridien) and it was a very nice hotel.

Then there is also the Patumwan Princess Hotel which is located at MBK shopping mall...a MUST see...

Carol
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 04:06 AM

Jmba.. your co worker is correct. canals (kloongs) are just about the best way too get around the city combined with motorcyles and BTS. well this is the stratigy most residents use too go too work and get around.

but it really is not that usefull if your planning too due touristy things.. the big streets like thanon sakunvit and silom are not that easaly excesale too the kloongs. but if you have busines up in the North east districts like bang kapi then they are very usefull.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 10:21 AM

I suggest staying on the river.The large hotels have transportation to Skytrain.