Hotel recommendations in Bangkok?

Old May 19th, 2002, 04:57 PM
Jason

Hotel recommendations in Bangkok?

Will be traveling to Bangkok at the end of September 2002. Does anyone have hotel recommendations - this is our honeymoon - so we're looking to stay someplace nice. Thanks.

Old May 19th, 2002, 07:36 PM
Kathie

I think the nicest places to stay in Bangkok are along the River. That includes the Oriental, the Peninsula and the Royal Orchid Sheraton. If you decide on the Royal Orchid, opt for a Towes room - lovely rooms, great amenities.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 05:18 PM
GF

The Dusit Thani is a very very nice hotel that would be a good option for a honeymoon.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 06:02 PM
Vicky

About eight years ago we (as first time visitors)stayed at the Oriental. It was wonderful. Even the elevator operators called you by name. Everyday there was a different unusual fruit plate delivered to your room with a card describing the fruit. Breakfast was included and was served on the veranda. There was coffee and tea makings in the room, plus around 4:30 every afternoon our room was repleased with ice. Very nice.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 12:38 AM
jean

Stayed at the Sukhothai last year. Very classy, I think it was designed by the guy who also does the Aman resorts so it has that Oriental minimalist feel. Beautiful minimalist decor in the rooms. Bathrooms really lovely. Does not look like the typical hotel. It's near the business district though.

Stayed at the Peninsula. Also classy but more like a typical 5-star hotel compared to Sukhothai. Beautiful gardens, where you dock to get to the hotel boat which shuttles back and forth the river (the Hotel is not near any big shopping malls). The rooms are also beautiful, very state of the art, cd player in the room, tv in the bathroom. You will enjoy both.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 05:33 PM
Anna

I stayed at the Peninsula in January with my husband. I highly recommend it, it was considerably cheaper than the Oriental during the time we went. We booked directly through the Peninsula's website. (www.peninsula.com)

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 06:26 AM
pat

Oriental, then Penisula or Dusit thani. Wherever you choose, don't forget to let them know that it is for your special time!!
Congratulations.

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 09:47 AM
Beth

My husband and I just stayed at the Marriot Spa Resort. It's a little outside of the main tourist area of Bangkok, but it is on the river, and absolutely gorgeous! Well, that's if you like 1920's colonial accommodations. It was very luxury, in an old fashioned kind of way. When travelling on the River, we ofcourse saw the Peninsula, Sheraton, etc. but they just looked like boring high-rise hotels. Anyway, check it out - we really liked it, and it was only $115 a night, with full buffet breakfast. It's a five star also.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 01:08 PM
Lord Keay

Any of the following will almost certainly be excellent

River - Oriental, Peninsula, Shangri La (Krungthep Wing)

City - Dusit (Landmark Room), Regent, Sukothai, Plaza Athene

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 01:32 PM
Fred

All of the previous recommendations are good. One wonderful hotel that is conspicuously absent from everybody's list is the Regent. Even if you do not stay there PLEASE visit for Sunday brunch - it's awesome! For a honeymoon, I would encourage you to choose the Sukothai because it is like an in-town resort - very relaxing and elegant. And whatever you do, don't pay rack rate anywhere - there are lots of hotel deals in Bangkok! Try www.planetholiday.com - I've had good luck with them every time.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 07:26 PM
Jim Rosenberg

Another hotel along the river is the Royal River. It is generally a lower-priced offering compared to some, but we found the rooms to be very comfortable. The staff is friendly and the hotel itself is quite nicely done. Cabs are so inexpensive in Bangkok that it is no problem getting into shopping areas, etc., and tours were available from the hotel through Tourismo Thai. We enjoyed the riverside terrace, where dinner is served each evening overlooking the river. I guess what I'm saying is this: don't rule it out. Happy contrails!

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 05:56 AM
Colin

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza and found it to be excellent quality for the money.

Fantstic Tandoor restaurant is another attraction !!