Reload this Page >

Bangkok Hilton ... Good choice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2002, 08:11 PM
Nancye

I have reservations at the Hilton Bangkok at the end of December for three nights. I'm using my Hilton Points, so the stay will be free. Is this a good use of my points? I'm wondering if I would be better off staying somewhere else and using my free nights next spring when I travel to Europe. I'm traveling alone and want a place that is not far from sites, shopping and/or transportation. I'm also curious about the night life as I will be in Bangkok for New Years.<BR><BR>Any comments or feedback would be greatly appreciated.<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Nancy

Old Nov 9th, 2002, 10:10 PM
Maggie

We just stayed there two weeks ago, and we also used points. Definitely NOT worth it. The lobby is great, but the rooms need a serious revamp. We didn't want to walk on the carpet even in our slippers. They were supposed to start a renovation a year ago, but it hasn't started yet. The staff were good and accommodating, but it's hard to make up for old worn out rooms.

Old Nov 9th, 2002, 10:21 PM
Meg

Nancye, please ignore my response. I had read the Great Wall question and then yours, and I mistakenly thought you asked about the Beijing Hilton. <BR><BR>By the way, if another hotel is an option, we used the JW Marriott in Bangkok and loved it.

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 04:14 AM
Nancy E

Maggie,<BR><BR>Thanks for taking the time and responding to my posting. <BR><BR>Nancy

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 02:42 PM
Casey

Hi Nancy.<BR>If you want up to date info on the Hilton in Bangkok. Check at www.flyertalk.com <BR>, click on Flyertalk miles and drop down to Hilton talk, if you don't find it there , just post the question on the board and in no time you will have your answer. The people on that board are all frequent travelers using the Hilton for all their travel.<BR>Hope you enjoy your stayin Bangkok.<BR>I for sure will, we will be there around x.mis.

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 03:31 PM
John G

I wouldn't even think of staying anywhere in Bangkok that wasn't situated on the Chao Phraya. It is just so much easier getting to the major sites via long-tailed boat or ferry rather than deal with street traffic in Bangkok. Another thing is the air quality, which is nice along the river, but polluted and congested (think of standing behind a bus and breathing in the exhaust)in the city. I would consider staying at the Oriental, Peninsula, Shargri-la, JW Marriot, or the Royal Orchid only. <BR><BR>This is just MY OPINION so nobody better jump on me like they usually do here.

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 12:19 PM
pjr

Hi there:<BR><BR>We stayed at the Hilton Bangkok three weeks ago and enjoyed it. It is not too far from the sky train which comes in handy to travel around the city. Walked back many times at night and never had a problem. <BR><BR>

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 03:13 PM
Kathie

As I read it, there are really two parts to your post: <BR>1. do we think the Bangkok Hilton is a good place to stay? <BR><BR>2. and is this the right place to use your Hilton points?<BR><BR>1. I've never stayed at the Bangkok Hilton, so I can't judge it. But I do agree with John G. on this one - stay by the river if you possibly can. Yes, it's convenient, but even more important to me, the river is the lifeblood of Bangkok. Staying on the river gives you a very different kind of experience than staying elsewhere in Bangkok.<BR><BR>2. Generally, I find I pay less for luxury hotels in Asia than in Europe. If I were you, I'd save my points for spring in Europe and find a great price on a hotel by the river for this trip. I've used www.asia-hotelscom to book rooms, but sometimes the individual hotel website will have even better prices.<BR><BR>Enjoy your trip!

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 07:45 PM
Darja

For Bangkok I suggest Amari Boulevard Hotel is a great bussines hotel 4*, has great location on Sukomwit road and is near the skyrail station Nana. Near by are really some excellent resaraurants.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 07:48 PM
Darja

For Bangkok I suggest Amari Boulevard Hotel is a great bussines hotel 4*, has great location on Sukhumvit Road and It's near the skyrail station Nana. Near by are really some excellent restaurants. You can see the description on http://www.bt-store.com/default.asp?...&amp;PageID=11