BANGKOK - GOLF

Jul 22nd, 2003, 10:16 PM
Original Poster

BANGKOK - GOLF

Any recommendation on good golf courses ? Would appreciate feedback on Thai Country Club, President Country Club, Suprapruek Golf Club, Natural Park Ramindra. There were lots of information on golf courses in bangkok but no info on the top courses. Pse provide feedback for any other courses that you've played at. Thanks very much in advance for any information provided.
Jul 23rd, 2003, 12:23 AM

From your list the best course is Thai Country Club. Well maintained facilities, fairways, bunkers etc and the best club house in town. It's about an hour drive from the centre of Bangkok but well worth it.

President CC is the worst of your list - trees are still small, fairway grass is terrible and not that well maintained.

Suprapruek is not bad and the green fee is very good value. Natural Park(Panya) Ramindra is good but often quite crowded especially for the 12.30 - 1.30 tee time.

Another top course not on your list is Alpine. Very challenging layout and great condition.
Jul 23rd, 2003, 09:41 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the info. this really helps in narrowing down our choices

By any chance have you played at Krungthep Kreetha? if you have what's the course condition like? it is a reciprocal club to our local golf club, we therefore will not be reqd to pay green fees but if the course is in a bad condition would rather pay and play at a good course. tks.
Jul 24th, 2003, 05:41 AM

Krungthep Kreetha is fine with lots of water traps and old layout but the course is not in the same league as Thai Country Club and Alpine(both have hosted international PGA tournaments and are well maintained).

I think it will be fun for you to play at Krungthep kreetha especially since you'll not have to pay the green fee. If you have extra time I would recommend one or both of the other two courses I've mentioned.
Jul 24th, 2003, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

I've checked on Alpine and was told that it is a members club and they do not accept walk-ins only members' guests. also checked with one of the golf agent and they said same thing. could you advise if you had managed booking thru' any particular agent. No problems with Thai Country Club as we will be staying at Peninsula Hotel which has access to the course.
Jul 24th, 2003, 06:18 PM

I'm a member at Alpine and I often see tour operators with their clients. There are some tour companies that own membership at Alpine and the card carrying member of the tour company will have to be a part of the foursome(in order to comply with club rules).

Trying searching the net again as I don't really know who they are(golf tour companies).
Jul 24th, 2003, 11:10 PM
Original Poster

Hanuman, Thanks. will try other agencies.
Jul 29th, 2003, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Hanuman, was checking on Lum Luk Ka and seems to have pretty good comments from golfers. pse provide your comments on the East and West Courses, would it be a better choice than Natural Park Ramindra? Have you played at Krungthep Kreetha lately, comments on the web was that the greens are pretty bad shape and lots of delays as 6 ballers are allowed on course.
Jul 30th, 2003, 12:16 PM

Not sure if this would interest you or not but we just got back from BKK yesterday and played golf quite a bit at the Bangkok Royal Sports Club in the center of the Silon District and also near Hua Hin at the Imperial Lake View Hotel and Club. Although we did not play all of them, I understand that the Imperial has three courses. The ones we played on were well maintained and quite fun to play. Best of all, the mid-week rate was an unbelieveable 1500 bht for the hotel room and two rounds of golf. dyw
Jul 30th, 2003, 07:10 PM

I've last play at Krungthep Kretha about a year ago and the greens are typical low end stuff. As for allowing group of 6 - I believe that is only for weekends(not sure). Basically you get what you pay for.

Lum Luk Ka can be quite crowded too but the course layout and quality is very good. It is quite a drive from the middle of Bangkok so allow your self about 1 hour after getting on the toll way. I think that the best course is the East Course. I normally refer to the best course as the "old course" which does have lovely greens and fairways. Make sure when you reserve the course to ask if the East Course is the same as the old course.

Most of the courses in Thailand are member type but due to financial concerns they allow walk in players. Only North Park(Rajphreuk Club), Alpine and Thai Country Cluto a certain extent) will only allow guest with member to play.

Royal Bangkok Sport Club is nothing more than a par 66 practice course and walk-ins are only permitted with member.

Another good course in Bangkok is Navatanee Golf Course. This course hosted the world cup during the 70s but the layouts feel a bit dated now.

Hua Hin does have some fantastic courses such as Lake View(as mentioned in the other post and if you play there try the desert course - looks sort of like Arizona), Springfield(superb condition), Milford(closes thing to a link course there) and the old Railway course.

Here are some courses which in my opinion are the best for the region:

North of Thailand: Santiburi Golf CluChieng Rai)

South of Thailand: Blue Canyon.

East of Thailand: Around Pattaya - Laem Chabang Golf Club. Further east: Soi Doa Club.

West of Thailand: Nichiko Golf Club

Have fun!
Jul 30th, 2003, 07:12 PM

Hmm... don't know why the "faces" appeared in my post above!
Jul 31st, 2003, 12:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to Hanuman for your detailed info and dywong for your input. I did manage to make contact for Alpine, we will therefore be playing at alpine and thai country club. If we are in good shape on the 3rd day, will try Lum Luk Ka. Happy golfing to the both of you.....