bangkok air weight?

Search

bangkok air weight?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2005, 12:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bangkok air weight?

The luggage limit for checked baggage on Bangkok Air is 44 lbs., right? But what can I physically carry on the plane with me? Is it like a typical US flight where I can bring on a shoulder bag (for instance a messenger bag) and a carry-on (for instance a knapsack)? Or can I only bring on a shoulder bag? Thanks for your help. My wife and I leave for Tokyo in 30 hours, and after 10 days we go to Siem Reap-Bangkok-LP-CM-BKK, so we will have the cold clothes/warm clothes situation.
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 12:14 AM

Their website says checked bags, 20 kg (44 pounds) and one carryon 5 kg (11 pounds).
http://www.bangkokair.com/before/#BaggageRestrictions
We've flown on their ATRs and their overhead space is miniscule. The A330s have more space. The smaller jets also don't have a lot of space.

If you are going back home via NRT then you might actually want to consider storing your things there...it's not cheap, but maybe easier than carrying them home. Alternatively, you could mail your winter things home. Boxes are not sold in the post office, but you can get boxes from the supermarket or from baggage delivery services...nicer hotels have shipping boxes right at the bell desk they can sell you for around 100 yen. If you mail a box by sea, it takes between 2 weeks and 6 weeks to arrive in the states. By air, 2 days to 2 weeks.
The UPS affiliate in Japan is Kuroneko Yamato. Everyone knows them and could help you inquire about shipping.
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 12:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Kim. Do you have a sense of how much ot costs to mail a box of clothes--say 20 lbs--the slow way to the US?
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 01:30 AM

I'm sorry...actually I have no idea. The last time we mailed something was a few years ago and I've forgotten. I do recall it being more reasonable than I expected. The Kuroneko Yamato service was reasonable too. We sent a huge amount of stuff though...3 cubic meters...so that price wouldn't help you.
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 01:51 AM

OK....I've got that info for you now.
http://www.post.japanpost.jp/english...el/parcel.html
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 08:03 PM

some of the planes are quite small with very little overhead space for much of anything other than a small bag....leg room is also tight....so don't plan to bring too much on the flight....like a short hop commuter flight in usa on a non-jet.....the bkk air jets have slightly more room but not a ton...