shipping home my purchases

Sep 15th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

shipping home my purchases

Hi,
I'll be visiting Myanmar,Laos,Thailand,Cambodia and Viet Nam over the winter.Anyone have advice on shipping items home from any of these places.Are some countries cheaper or more reliable than others when it comes to shipping? Postal service or private shipper?I'm only talking about relatively smaller items...probably no bigger than a bread box. How much does it cost?
Thanks!!
Sep 15th, 2005, 05:07 PM

first of all it is very expensive to ship....i shipped two things this summer....from laos i shipped a small table and it cost $80 to the usa....from thailand i shipped a box (10 kilos--20 pounds) of stainless steel and it was $95 air ups....came in 5 days...the table took 2.5 months...
we carry all that we can....some airlines do not check carefully, like northwest from bangkok....
Sep 15th, 2005, 05:16 PM

my friend shipped several things posting them from the general post office in bangkok and a few things were missing when he received it at home...

if you ask around in bkk there are some cheap air shippers....in laos the only offer was regular air mail
Sep 15th, 2005, 06:37 PM

If you must shio from those countries, choose Thailand. Generally, you'll be better off with UPS or Fed Ex rather than the post office.

I don't know where you live, but if you ship things back to the US, you'll have to pay duty on them. If you carry them back with you, you only have to pay duty on totals over $800.
Sep 15th, 2005, 07:01 PM

interesting about shipping and duty...

we shipped about $400 worth of china from england via ups 5 day air two years ago....no duty....

we shipped about $375. worth of stainless steel from thailand this year via usp air 5 day----customs called our house and asked what was in the package---no duty....later we received a letter from ups requesting a $5. handling fee and $17 or some small amount of duty....

our table cost $300 and was shipped via regular air mail from laos....no duty requested...

odd
Sep 15th, 2005, 08:14 PM

Bob, that is odd. I shipped carpets from Turkey and had to go to the airport to pick them up and pay duty. I brought carpets home from Singapore with me - no duty. Friends had custom made clothing mailed, paid duty. I think it's variable, but legally, my understanding is that you are supposed to pay duty for items shipped home over $50.
Sep 15th, 2005, 10:25 PM

I had a 2,000.00 table shipped from Bangkok..no duty...I had 1500.00 of wine from Italy shipped..no duty. Linda had some dolls and clothes shipped from Budapest...no duty. Just lucky I guess. Shouldn't have wrote this because next time I'll probably get charged.
Sep 16th, 2005, 05:14 AM

We had a hand-carved teak table shipped from Chiang Mai to Phoenix. It took six weeks by rail, sea, and truck to the bonded warehouse. We took our invoice to the local U.S. customs office where we pointed out this was hand-carved. Therefore, the customs office said, it was considered to be "a work of art" and carried no duty. It arrived in perfect condition.
I wonder if the Turkish carpet (which is hand made) should not have been allowed in duty free.
Sep 16th, 2005, 05:26 AM

It depends I think on what kind of status the country has. If we consider it a third world country hand crafted items can come in duty free. Thailand falls in that category. Turkey does not.
Sep 16th, 2005, 06:11 AM

The wood products we import do not carry duty upon arrival from BKK. It depends upon the type of product you are bringing in, I think. Wood vs textile vs leather, etc.
Carol
Sep 16th, 2005, 06:58 AM

You're right it does depend on the product being brought in and the country of origin. And the customs regulations change frequently.
Sep 16th, 2005, 06:55 PM

there is also the gsp or some such initials, program of the customs department which has to do with developing nations....i know thailand is part of that program and many items come to usa duty free, including gold and precious stones...