Bali: white river rafting experience?

Feb 26th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

Bali: white river rafting experience?

Hi, I've read that Sobek does a white river rafting trip near Ubud. Has anyone gone on this, and what did you think about it? How intense is it? I've only been on a rather tame trip in Utah once, and I don't want anything treacherous.
Feb 26th, 2010, 05:57 PM

Rafting on the Ayung River is fairly tame. You get enough rapids to make it interesting, but it's definitely not dangerous. During the rainy season when the river is high the rocks are more submerged so the ride is faster but smoother. During the dry season you get more drama.

It's a beautifully scenic area.

For me, the most demanding part was slogging UP the path afterwards, especially being hectored by sarong and knickknack vendors. We usually skipped the lunch but we always bought the photograph.
Feb 26th, 2010, 06:02 PM

I've done it, twice, and would do it again in a heartbeat. It was not that intense, although it depends a bit on when you go. There are a few rough spots, but the drops are just a foot or two, nothing really dangerous.

Definitely go with Sobek if you do it. The facilities at either end are really good, as are their guides.
Feb 26th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

We would be going at the end of April. Do you get totally soaked?
Feb 27th, 2010, 04:34 AM

It depend but it will be more fun if you got totally soaked. They will have shower rooms at the end of the trip where you can wash up before you return to your hotel but do be prepare to enjoy all aspect of the rafting and get wet!

Example, from a rafting trip in Ubud around 2002 or 2003 - please click the "Bali Rafting" gallery: http://khun-pook.smugmug.com/
Feb 27th, 2010, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Hanuman, Looks like fun!
Feb 27th, 2010, 01:43 PM

I did the Ayung River just outside Ubud & also the Telaga Waja River about 60-90 minutes away from Ubud. I preferred the Telaga Waja ride better, was a little faster.
Feb 27th, 2010, 05:38 PM

There's a waterfall that drops dramatically into the river about halfway through the trip, and it's a given that the guide will steer the raft right under it. The guide will have a dry bag for you to put your wallet and camera in for the trip. You drop off a bag with dry clothes, etc. at the starting point, and they'll take it to the shower facilities at the end point where you can pick it up.

April is the end of the wet season, so the water will be high and less rough. The big issue at that time will be rain. I've been in Ubud in April when it rained every day, and some days drizzled for the better part of the day.
Feb 27th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

MichaelBkk, We're going to be in Ubud at the very end of May into early May, so I'm hoping the Bali weather gods know it's supposed to stop raining! I guess if you're white river rafting it doesn't make much difference. Think I'll keep the 35mm camera at the hotel for this trip through...just risk the point and shoot.