Search

Bali rice paddy view OK in May?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 79 Likes on 10 Posts
Bali rice paddy view OK in May?

Hi,
We're going to Bali in early May, and I wonder if the rice paddies look "bad" then due to harvesting. I'm evaluating where to stay and some places feature views over the rice paddies. If they don't look so good then, I should look for a hotel with a different type of view.
Anybody out there an expert in rice paddy aesthetics?
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would not stress in the least over it. In my experience living and visiting Bali over many years, due to its tropical location, plentiful rainfall, and the growth cycle of rice, the harvest season is all year. In my experience it is not unusual to have two paddies next to each other in completely different stages of growth. In any event I don’t think you would find the golden colour of the mature rice to be an issue, and watching the women harvest it is actually quite interesting, IMO. (Give it a try yourself, and they will laugh hysterically!) The only thing that may be unattractive are the very, very newly planted paddies which are basically an empty flooded field with tiny seedlings, but as I said, you can have this next to a more mature green field, so you won’t have acres of barren flooded fields. (And watching the transplantation of the seedlings is again quite interesting.) It’s also lovely to watch the ducks go out at sunset into the paddies in a line with their minders. IMO having a rice paddy view would literally give you a window into Balinese life that is quite special.

There is a harvest festival generally in May or June but that is, I believe, more tied to the rice goddess and takes its date from places with more distinct wet and dry seasons where there is more defined planting season. But if you are in Bali for the harvest festival, you may find to be an interesting time to be there.
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 11:07 PM

The paddies tend to look beautiful, whatever the season. I think you'll be fine.
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 11:11 PM

i went to Bali in May a few years back, they looked fine to me!
Old Dec 12th, 2009, 01:47 AM

Bali has a very complex and ancient system of irrigation and individual plots are cultivated in rotation. While one is being plowed, another is flooded, another is newly planted, another is transplaneted, another is ready for harvest. So it's difficult to predict at what state "your" padi will be in while you're there -- a little of everything, most likely.
Old Dec 12th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 79 Likes on 10 Posts
Thank you all for your enlightened replies....I will take the paddies as they lie.
Old Dec 12th, 2009, 06:40 PM

i have been twice in may and found some green and some brown, some being plowed and some already replanted.... i am going again next may with a paddy view and look forward to it