Bali Explosions

Old Oct 1st, 2005, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bali Explosions

Saturday evening: explosions are just reported in downtown Kuta and Jimbaran beach. Three westerners are reported injured.

Monitor news sites for more information
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Multiple deaths are now being reported. This is very sad for Bali.
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 07:53 AM

the last i heard one hour ago was 8 dead...poor bali it was just recovering...

IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT NO ONE CANCEL THEIR BALI TRIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 08:05 AM

it's at 19 dead now.

Old Oct 1st, 2005, 08:36 AM

I feel so bad for the people of Bali and all the tourist there at the moment.

I've plan and paid for a 3 night excursion to Bali on October 20th! I'm willing to go but I wonder how my wife and daughter will feel when they hear of the news tomorrow?
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 08:48 AM

very sad...
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 08:50 AM
emd

You can't just tell people that it is very important that they not cancel their trips. People have to assess the situtation themselves w/all the info available and decide what the threat is and make their own decisions as to what they are comfortable with. Those decisions can certainly affect the people of Bali positively or negatively, but you can't make a decision about your own safety based soley on the affects on the citizens of the country. It is your own life and the lives of your family members who you make the decision for in the first instance. I think that to tell people just in a blanket way to ignore the risk and not even weigh the information and risk and just don't cancel their trip under any circumstacnes is very one dimentional and somewhat irrational. I know there is concern about the people of Bali, I understand that, but your life is important enough to weigh the information, isn't it?
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 08:51 AM

Generally the safest time to be somewhere is immediately after a problem. But what I often wonder is why people flocked to NY (at our urging) after 9/11 and yet shun other countries when terrorists strike there.
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 09:07 AM

where is spygril,
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 09:27 AM

Cancelling my trip to Amanusa. Going to One & Only Reethi Rah Maldives instead.
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 09:32 AM

emd-- and yet the US government and the media told the world to come to NY. Why was that ok?

I agree that everyone needs to make their own decision and weigh the risk. What I can't stand is the double standard. No one tells people not to come to the U.S. or London for that matter but when it happens in a 3rd world country everyone says to stay away. Risk is risk and terrorism is terrorism whether it is in the US, Europe or Asia.
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Whenever those thought appear I simply remind myself of the 45,000+ traffic deaths in the US each year. It's probably still safer in Bali (plus we never do clubbing...).
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 12:26 PM

Very sad for those involved and also devastating for the people of Bali. When we were there in August our guide told us that June and July had been bad for tourists but August had picked up.
We had always planned to go to Bali but I didn't feel I wanted to risk it after the bombings 3 years ago. I waited till this August before we ventured there. It was truely Paradise. We did not go into Kuta and I did feel as if I would be safer in Sanur.I would love to return in the future but there is no way I would actively encourage anyone else to go there. Just imagine how you would feel if something else did happen.
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 02:17 PM

NoFlyZone: This time it was in a restaurant not a club.
Personally I would not set foot in Indonesia, they hate Westerners so why is it so hard for people to understand that? It is easy to say " I feel so sad for the Bali people". They are Indonesians, they harbour fanatics, they let out their bombers with a smack on their hands and a very, very short sentence for multiple murder.
Bali was only a cheap destination - why not go somewhere where it is clean, safe and affordable and leave that country to their own devices?
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 02:46 PM

lizF, your words are a little harsh, i might say..However, I went to Bali in 1996 when everything was calm..We attempted to go 3 years ago, and ended up cancelling because right before we were leaving the bomb attacks happened, so we chose not to go..I am so glad we went when we did, because in all honesty, i don't think i would want to go right now..
Also, you have to check with your insurance to make sure you are covered if your country is recommending that you do not travel to Indonesia..
I feel very sad for the people of Bali/Indonesia but respect people's decisions if they feel that they should not visit..
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 02:58 PM

We had just made our plans in September 2002 and then the October nightclub attack occurred. We felt that by staying away from Kuta (where one of the bombs went off today) and avoiding western type establishments , especially in tourist areas (which were also hit today) we would be fine. I think that if you intend to visit Bali, that approach makes sense. 996tt - Cancelling the Amanusa is just pointless - it is closing the barn door after the cows have left as we say in Connecticut.
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 03:38 PM

I wonder when the Indonesian Govt. will do what is necessary to contain the religious zealots of Jemaah Islamiah?

I'm with lizF. Australians are being targeted in Bali. There is no doubt about it.

To all those planning a visit to Bali, please check that your travel insurance will cover you for ANY accident or incident. We were told our cover is void for any country where a terrorist warning is in place.

We've travelled all over Asia, to countries where it msy not be considered safe to go, because we never felt we were a target! Caucasian Christians are targets and I've said before here, that it was just a matter of time before the nutcases struck again. My prayers & thoughts are with those who lost loved ones or had loved ones injured.
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 03:43 PM

About one hour before this bombing, I was trying to make airline reservations to go to Bali for the Thanksgiving weekend. I had to be waitlisted, because it's a popular destination for Singapore expats that week.
For the worst possible reason, I'm sure my flights will clear now. I'm still going.
But everyone does have to make their own assessment of the situation against their own comfort level.
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 03:52 PM

The vast majority of Indonesians do not hate Westerners.

Unfortunately, there's a significantly minority that's against the modern non-Muslim world, and will use terror to achieve their goal of either seperation from Jakata or overthrow the Jakata government.

And the Indonesian government is a weak one, after years of Suhato. It doesn't have the will or means to get rid of, or at least keep in bay, those terrorists from the major cities and Bali. That's what makes Indonesia more dangerous than other countries when it comes to terrorist attack, in my opinion. Western tourists are simply sitting duck there.

It's similar to the situation in Egypt.
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 03:55 PM

LizF, you think Indonesians hate Westerners? That has not been my experience in my visits to a number of areas of Indonesia. Are there terrorists in Indonesia? Yes, and there are likely terrorists in every counrty. To condemn a whole people for the actions of a few is naive and narrow-minded at best.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -