Bali vs. Angkor Wat

Search

Bali vs. Angkor Wat

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2008, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bali vs. Angkor Wat

If you could only pick one, which would u choose? (Sadly, we don't have the luxury of visiting both on our upcoming trip!)

We'll be going to SE Asia in mid June.

Thanks!
Old May 21st, 2008, 09:30 PM

I lived for 2 1/2 years in Bali and did the typical 4-day/3-night blitz through Siem Reap and Angkor Wat. Each experience was a trip of a lifetime -- each for a different reason.

If I had your choice to make, I'd option for Angkor Wat. In my opinion, you get more spiritual "bang for your buck" there. The ruins of Angkor touch your soul in a way that Bali cannot, does not. Cambodia f-e-e-l-s more genuine.

Of course, June in that part of the world is bound to be HOT; but don't let that stop you. Samnang laor (Khmer for "Good luck.&quot Enjoy your trip.
Old May 21st, 2008, 10:45 PM

Angkor Wat, without the slightest hesitation.

If someone said I only have time to visit one monument in the whole of Asia I would send them there. I spent eight days and it wasn't enough. There are few corners of Asia I haven't visited, but if I had to choose one to return to Angkor would be it.

Bali is pleasant enough, but Angkor is one of the planet's greatest monuments.

Peter N-H
Old May 22nd, 2008, 12:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input! Angkor Wat it is!
Old May 22nd, 2008, 12:39 AM
Original Poster

(It's cheaper anyway, hehe.)
Old May 22nd, 2008, 04:25 AM

If you are a temple junkie then yes Angkor Wat is the obvious choice but if you get templed out after an hour- then its Bali. My wife gets templed out after an hour so in this case the choice for us is easy- it would be Bali. For myself I could do maybe 3-4 hours fo temples but then even I would be templed out. In Europe its the cathedrals, in Asia its the temples.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 05:32 AM

BillT makes a good point. My "rules" for planning travel you enjoy are
1. Know yourself
2. Know your destination

Knowing both of those, you should be able to make a choice that is the right one for you.

While I have been to both places and love both places, I'd choose Angkor both because it is stunning and because Siem Reap is changing rapidly. Bali has long ago had it's period of rapid change because of toursim, so you'll find Bali very similar several years from now to what it is now. That isn't true for Siem Reap.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 09:25 AM

How much time do you have? if it's 7 days or more I would pick bali as there is much more diversity. If it's 4 or 5 days I would pick Angkor but ONLY if you are not someone who easily gets templed out.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 09:40 AM

Better yet go to Bangkok and visit the Grand Palace- they have a replica of Angkor Watt!
Old May 22nd, 2008, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

I think we would get "templed" out pretty easily. (Pretty short attention span. =P) However, I read that it's better to hire a guide that'll explain the history behind each temple so they won't all be a blur.

BiLLT - did you hire a guide or did you go on your own? Just curious if you were templed out quickly bc you did not have a guide.

We'll be visiting Bangkok (3 days), Phuket (2 days), Singapore (3 days) as well. (Siem Reap so far is 2 days.)

If we decide to cut out one day from Angkor Wat, where should we stick the extra day? Should we just stay in Siem Reap? Is there enough to do in the town that'll entertain us for one day?

Thanks, as always.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 05:37 PM

First of all, if you aren't interested enough in the temples at Angkor to see most of the major temples (3 days), don't go. There are dozens of accessible temples, and in a full week there we didn't come close to seeing all of them. If you are trying to decide whether to visit Angkor, you are welcome to view our photos at www.marlandc.com

The best book for preparing to visit Angkor is Dawn Rooney's Book, Angkor.

Your trip is pretty short, you really don't have enough time to visit more than three place, and you'd be better off with choosing two places and spending enough time to get a flavor. Also, travel from one place to another takes up most of a day... check out of your hotel, transport to the airport, arriving in the designated time, flying, transport to the new hotel - you get the picture.

GIven what you've written, I'd suggest you may want to visit Bali instead. Do a brief stop in Singapore and spend at least a week on Bali - more if you can get the time.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 10:37 PM
Original Poster

We are interested in seeing the temples, but we don't have to see all of them. Also, I think the time it takes to "fully enjoy" something varies greatly for different people. Great pics of Angkor Wat - thanks for sharing.

We've been to Bangkok and Singapore about 4 years ago, so we've actually seen a lot of the major attractions. This time, we'll just visit some of the less-touristy places, so I think the number of days should be enough. I would've loved to stay longer in Phuket, but then again, June is not even the best time to go.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 06:59 AM

On our first trip to BKK we hired Ratt- our driver. She is not a professional guide but then again we did not need a guide. We get templed out because we are not that interested in all the history- I like to see them but not immerse myself. The wife tolerates my interest to a degree!
Old May 23rd, 2008, 11:36 AM

I've been lurking on this thread for a few days. Now that I know your whole itinerary, I will opine-

Its not clear when your flights are but you can certainly have a full day in Siem Reap if you take an early enough flight out of Bangkok. You can also fly out late in the day from Siem Reap which could give youo another full day there. That being said, 3 days, not 2 is best for Siem Reap. That way you can do it without rushing. Typically you will not tour between noon and 3 or 4. It is too hot. We are not big temple fans but we did want to see the major ones which was probably 1/2 dozen or so. We also wanted to visit a school (we were with Ponheary) and we wanted to visit the Vietnamese floating village. We would have been very unhappy just spending 2 days.

Kathie is correct in that you have one too many destinations for your short trip. You will appreciate it much more if you cut one out. For me that would be Phuket but then I've never been to Singapore (except for the airport) but I do note that it is your second time there - perhaps you really enjoyed it on your first visit. I have found that with travel time, spending only a couple of days at one location is not worth the hassle.