Search

Bali now?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 12:18 PM
Ben

Bali now?

Has anyone been to Bali recently? Have they really stepped up on their security, and what have the hotels done in response to the attacks?

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 02:19 PM
d

Indonesian police were pretty good about affair, but it ishard to be remotely secure in muyslim country. I wouldn't worry about it

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 02:37 PM
Marie

Just for your reference,USA today recently had an article on Bali, which is still experiencing a backlash from the bombing.<BR><BR>Bali is very very quiet these days, and as I have my own home in Bali, I can't tell you what each hotel is doing. I have heard from Indonesians that the government has made it very difficult for ordinary Indonesians to travel to Bali, as a knee-jerk reaction to the bombing.<BR><BR>Personally, I still feel much much safer in Bali than I do in my own hometown. I do understand if you've never been to Bali it may seem scary and that's understandable. There have also been many purification ceremonies and offerings to the local Hindu gods. Incidentally, there is a 10K run being planned for early February.<BR><BR>Here's the url of the article:<BR><BR><BR>http://www.usatoday.com/travel/vacat...01-17-bali.htm

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was in Bali Jan 1 to 10.The atmosphere was a little sad because of the lack of tourists, but otherwise great. I felt it was safe enough, or else I wouldn't have taken my 11 yr old daughter.Many times villagers would apologize for what had happened, &amp; assured us we were safe &amp; welcome. <BR><BR>There were visibly more police/security people around. The large hotels have stepped up security: they have small long handled mirrors to look under vehicles. Our car was checked like that in the street in Sanur also.<BR><BR>I disagree with Maries'comment about the government making it harder for other Indonesians to travel to Bali. In fact it's the opposite, there are many promotions to get Indonesians to go there, &amp; I have never seen so many Indo. at the hotels in any of my other (many)visits. It's also visible on the roads, my driver was commenting on the traffic problems (&amp; lack of business for him) because so many Javanese were driving over!
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 05:18 PM

There are still many people who are traveling to Bali and there are wonderful forums full of people obsessing over their next Bali holiday. Check them out:<BR><BR>balitravelforum.com<BR>baliforum.com
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 06:22 PM
kp

Bali is primarily Hindu not Muslim. This is why, in the past, it was safer than the other islands of Indonesia.