Bali..safety?

Feb 22nd, 2006, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Bali..safety?

Hello...we have plans to travel to Bali for the 2nd time this April. With recent world events, we're a little concerned about traveling in that part of the world. I realize that Bali is primarily Hindu, but non the less... any thoughts?
Thanks, Joe
[email protected]
Feb 22nd, 2006, 12:08 PM

I think what recent world events emphasize is that no place is absolutely safe. You are the only one who can say whether it's "safe enough" for you.

Bali has had bombs twice in the last few years. While it is predominently Hindu, terrorists have targeted Bali because it is such a tourist draw. The hotels on Bali are very security-conscious.

I've traveled to Bali a number of times as well as to other parts of Indonesia. Personally, I would feel comfortable going, but I can't speak for you.
Mar 7th, 2006, 12:21 AM

Hello Joe,it's normal that We should think many times before doing something.I've just gone back from Bali few weeks ago,and all fine.Bali is still nice to visit and save.
Mar 7th, 2006, 12:55 AM

Hello there,just back from Bali and it's totally save in Bali.I had lots of nice time there.For you,if You need driver during you're in bali,I recomend my driver when I was there.His email address: [email protected]. He is nice person and honest,thank you very much.
Mar 7th, 2006, 04:57 AM

Just returned back from Bali. Have not had any bad experiences at all. There are security checks when you are entering to the crowded shopping centers.
Mar 7th, 2006, 11:43 AM

Joe,

A lot of people on this board still vacation in Bali and Indonesia.

Be smart and you will have a wonderful trip. Stay away from Western branded hotels and heavily touristed areas and instead go to the quieter parts of the island with small, boutique-style hotels. Besides being safer, you will probably have a better cultural experience and overall trip.
Aug 14th, 2006, 07:18 AM

I am traveling to Bali next week and a bit concerned about terrorist activity along with Volcanic activity, has anyone been recently and can you advise if it's safe?
Aug 14th, 2006, 07:24 AM

Again, you are the only person who can say whether it is safe enough for you. No one can tell you if/when/where there will be another terrorist attck. Note that Bali has not had recent earthquake or volcanic activity, that was Java.
Aug 14th, 2006, 05:42 PM

Actually, there was a little tremor in Bali when I was there last week. But it was so small that it didn't get reported outside of the local papers. In that part of the world, little shakes are quite common, and I lived in California before moving to Bangkok, so I'm used to an occassional temblor.
Aug 14th, 2006, 07:43 PM

I noticed a sign in the Philadelphia airport a few weeks ago stating that Bali's Denpasur Airport does not meet international security standards. I was quite surprised to see the sign there.
Aug 14th, 2006, 09:15 PM

That is very old news. I'm not sure it's still true or not. The problem specifically had to do with the safety of checked baggage, which is a problem all over Indonesia. You DO NOT check baggage without locking EVERY opening. The problem is not only theft from your bags, but in Bali's case there was a problem with smuggling things in your bags.